Build Thread: Sixstringsteve's 2002 Tacoma double cab: Carlos

O'neal

?????????
Good observation! I do have lockers front and rear. In my experience, when you use lockers in deep snow, you typically get stuck more than with them off. They have a tendency to dig down instead of keep the momentum going. So I leave them off most of the time when I'm in deep snow.

Also, when locking the rear in snow, it makes the rear end want to slide downhill. I kept getting sideways on the trail when I was locked in the rear.

Additionally, whenever I have a lot of wheelspin, I leave the lockers off. A sudden spot of traction puts tremendous stress on the axle shafts and has the potential to snap them.

Non of this makes sense to me.....it's natural to dig down after losing forward progress,back up and get moving again and I highly doubt you will grenade a toy rearend although I see do see cv's blowin apart.I wheel snow all the time,actually far more than dirt and rock.Sometime's it's finess,low pressure's and creeping.Sometime's it's pin it,hold on and be aggressive,just need to get the feel for the snow and adjust.If your worried about your rig,snappin shaft's,getting stuck,you should not be out....it's all part of the game.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Sometime's it's finess,low pressure's and creeping.Sometime's it's pin it,hold on and be aggressive,just need to get the feel for the snow and adjust.

... and sometimes it's turn the lockers off and make more forward progress. Othertimes it's winch out or turn around.

If your worried about your rig,snappin shaft's,getting stuck,you should not be out....it's all part of the game.

You're entitled to your opinion, but please try to share it without being condescending.

For me, breaking is not part of the game, especially when you're in a snow storm 20 miles from a paved road, over 50 miles from home. This truck is my daily driver in the wintertime, and we often do 1000+ mile trips in it. The thought of changing a CV in a snow storm is not appealing. I don't want to be wondering "what's the weird noise coming out of the front end?" when doing 90 MPH down the freeway. I try to take care of my vehicles so they will take care of me when I need it. That being said, I built this truck to take me all over the state where I want to go, and it does that quite well.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Good stuff though, it's nice to have all the equipment you need to continue on :)

Agreed, that's why I have the winch and snorkel and lockers and recovery gear and tools. We had spent 4 hours wheeling in the snow to get to this point, and we tried all sorts of different techniques throughout the day. At some points the lockers really helped, and at other times they made everything worse.

Box Rocket

bored
For sale, asking $17,500

Here we go again. :) Honestly I'm surprised you kept it this long. However, I'll remind you that when you were looking for this one, you were kicking yourself for selling your old red DC, that it was the truck you missed the most. That was what spurred the purchase of Carlos. I guess it wasn't your favorite truck afterall. What's next?

I just wanted to thank you guys for helping me get passt that week where I thought I wanted to sell it. I'm so glad I didn't, this is an incredible truck.

I dunno, we'll see what I get next. Probably a beater to wheel, and something less capable for camping.

:confused:

A beater to wheel and a less capable camper? Seriously? Why? Is your truck letting you down in some way? You've done the separate rig thing already, right? (tow rig / buggy or daily driver / wheeler) And that wasn't satisfying, judging from the fact that you departed that mode and created a few very impressive do-it-all vehicles, including Carlos. You've experimented with many, many different vehicle combinations, well documented. You hit the backcountry more than anyone I know, except maybe Kurt, and the current rig seems to be perfect for what you do. Heck, it'd be perfect for 99% of what I do. Are you looking for more bias towards camping and less towards wheeling? Other reasons?

I guess you don't need to justify to anyone (but your wife?) why, but the stated reason just doesn't make sense...or just seems like it's missing a piece. The thrill of the process of a new/different vehicle, that's understandable, and if your wallet/wife can sustain it, then no problem. It just seems like you careen back and forth between different vehicle modes. When you had the 4-runner (I think) I asked if you had done a list of the pro's and con's of each vehicle you had owned/wheeled, with a hunch that you would end up where you did (with Carlos). It seemed like it was within hours.

The grass is always greener man. I wonder sometimes if I should just sell all my junk and get a Raptor and a Razr. :D

jentzschman

I dunno, we'll see what I get next. Probably a beater to wheel, and something less capable for camping.

Miss wheeling eh? I would love to keep doing it, but its is way to expensive for me. The need for a tow rig is what kills it. If I had a DD and a street legal truck to wheel it might be different.

Going to get another taco or going a new route all together?