Build Thread: Sixstringsteve's 2005 4Runner Lorenzo

sixstringsteve

k. I've got the hook kit from ARB, i'm just trying to find a place to hook it to the floor. I'll get creative tonight.

sixstringsteve

Regarding the tire decision, I'd love a 3 ply duratrac. It's weird though, depending on size, some of the e-rated duratracs are 2 ply and some are 3 ply. I'm not interested in them if they're not 3 ply. To check, the tire will say "2 ply" or "3 ply" on the sidewall.

sixstringsteve

So I called Discount tire. Unfortunately the 265/70/17 load range E duratrac is only a 2 ply sidewall (despite the idiot tech there trying to convince me it's a 10 ply sidewall).

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
So I called Discount tire. Unfortunately the 265/70/17 load range E duratrac is only a 2 ply sidewall (despite the idiot tech there trying to convince me it's a 10 ply sidewall).

That idiot tech is kinda sorta right.... Every Tire manufacturer builds there tires different. Even though good year only uses 2 plys to make there sidewall they have to meet the same strength requirements as lets say a 6 ply side wall in order to get the E rating if that makes sense So if you find an E rated tire with 260 ply and another E rated tire with 2 ply those sidewalls are rated to hold the same amount of weight and are in theory the same strength. The only thing that gets called into question here is the ability to reduce side wall punctures I have no idea what one would be better.

So the tech was on the right track but still mostly wrong ;)

I am in no way endorsing the goodyear duratrac just throwing down some sweet sidewall tech

Last edited:

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I have duratracs on my work truck, I've beat the crap out of them on gravel jammed logs into the side wall and rallied on some sharper stuff. I wouldn't worry to much about the durability of the sidewall. That being said they are LOUD holy crap, much louder than my worn KM2's and way louder than the KO's on my ladies rig

sixstringsteve

The only thing that gets called into question here is the ability to reduce side wall punctures I have no idea what one would be better.

So the tech was on the right track but still mostly wrong ;)

Agreed. The entire reason I want 3 ply is for sidewall puncture resistance, not necessarily the strength. I'm frustrated with how the industry uses the term "10 ply" to mean "10 ply rated" not that it really has ten plies. From tire rack (just like you explained):

Today's load range/ply ratings do not count the actual number of body ply layers used to make up the tire’s internal structure, but indicate an equivalent strength compared to early bias ply tires. Most radial passenger tires have one or two body plies, and light truck tires, even those with heavy-duty ratings (10-, 12- or 14-ply rated), actually have only two or three fabric plies, or one steel body ply.

I understand the difference, but by him assuring me that there were 10 layers of rubber on the sidewall, he was way off. I'd rather have 10 plies on the sidewall than one thick ply rated the same as 10 plies. I'm no physicist, but I would assume it'd be tougher to puncture 10 sheets of rubber than one thick one. Maybe I'm way off on that. All I know is that doing an image search for "duratrac sidewall" is scary.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I ended up deciding on some Cooper S/T Maxx tires. They're built on the carcass of their STT mud terrain, but with a less aggressive tread pattern. ExPo review here. Another review here.

We'll see how they do. Judging by the appearance of the tread blocks, they look like they'll do awesome in snow and ice. However, reviews say they're great in snow and ice. They look insanely beefy and I'm not worried about punctures or sidewall damage. I heard they were heavy tires, but looking at weights online, they're 6 lbs heavier than a c rated duratrac, 1 lb heavier than an e rated duratrac, and 5 lbs heavier than a KM2 in the same size.

In reading reviews, it looks like at least one guy has had a sidewall issue with the S/T Maxx. Looks to be a manufacturing defect connected to impact damage.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/59755-Cooper-Discoverer-S-T-Maxx/page11

edit: For future thought, the dick cepek fun country II looks like a great alternative to a duratrac, and it has a 3 ply sidewall.

Last edited:

193kyle

I'm surprised at all the people I hear saying that the Duratracs are loud. I have them on my tacoma and don't find them loud at all, even after 25,000 hard miles.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I'm surprised at all the people I hear saying that the Duratracs are loud. I have them on my tacoma and don't find them loud at all, even after 25,000 hard miles.

Ours are stupid-loud, they cupped badly and I can't get them to even out. What PSI are you running? C or E?

193kyle

Mine are E rated, 285/75/16, running 35-37 psi. At 25k they are still over 1/2 tread, no wearing issues at all. I also had replaced essentially every suspension component just before putting them on.

sixstringsteve

I agree, yours definitely aren't loud. We've proven that the sidewalls were plenty beefy. I can't believe you have 25k on them already.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Tires are on and installed. I'm pretty excited for these. They look like budget no-name wannabe mud terrains, but they are super quiet and smooth. I'm actually kinda glad the ko2s aren't out in my size yet, because it forced me to try something new. The tread depth is insane. BIG old chunks of rubber on there. I think they look great with the FJ wheels. I'd like to paint the wheels bronze eventually, though I'm not sure the best way to do that.

20141009_173756.jpg

20141009_173803.jpg

20141009_173815.jpg

20141009_173827.jpg

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Dillemma time. I got a flat this weekend and it ruined the tire. Since this is awd, I should replace all 4 tires at the same time. I really want the new BFG KO2s, but they're not available yet.

Good news: they're available Nov 1st.

Bad news: the size I want isn't available 'till April

Where did you get your size release intel?