Build Thread: Sixstringsteve's 2005 4Runner Lorenzo

sixstringsteve

these tires rub a bit when backing up. :(

Good thing I didn't go with the bigger ones. I'm really close to getting an OME setup with LR UCAs and calling it done.

Coco

these tires rub a bit when backing up. :(

Good thing I didn't go with the bigger ones. I'm really close to getting an OME setup with LR UCAs and calling it done.

....then sell it to me? :D

It is looking great Steve! When it comes time, let me know and I can help you with the wheels. It would be a lot more work, but I will help you media blast them, and then you can paint them. I tried self etching primer on my Creeper Locks, and was very disappointed in the results. The paint simply flaked off, or when trying to mask them, the tape peeled it off. (all a result of listening to some of my buddies, when I knew I have had best results doing it my way). I have never had better results than just blasting aluminum, and painting them.

Jesser04

Is it rubbing on the front? I pulled the clip out of the inner fender the one closest to the part that hangs down. Punch a new hole (about an inch behind the existing one)in the inner fender and put the clip back in the new hole and it should hold it foward and not run anymore and still look factory. If that didn't make sense I can send you pics of my wife's.

sixstringsteve

Is it rubbing on the front? I pulled the clip out of the inner fender the one closest to the part that hangs down. Punch a new hole (about an inch behind the existing one)in the inner fender and put the clip back in the new hole and it should hold it foward and not run anymore and still look factory. If that didn't make sense I can send you pics of my wife's.

great idea, I'll give that a shot.

sixstringsteve

I just got back from a mtb trip in Moab. I love these tires. The 4runner did really well, except it wouldn't start on saturday. We tried EVERYTHING. It would crank like crazy, but not fire. I could hear the fuel pump, and it only ever had a problem starting when the battery was low. This definitely wasn't the case with this new die hard beast of a battery.

We were stuck at the camp spot. We decided to have it towed into town. Right when we got signal, I decided to check the interwebs. Someone mentioned something about an ignition security feature that required the other key? Low and behold, we tried the other key and it fired right up. I was using the non-chip key (which I swear has started the rig before). I was glad to have it start right up with no issues.

sixstringsteve

With these wheels and tires, the rig feels super stable. The body roll I was feeling before is much more tame now. So I'm going to hold off on the OME suspension right now. I do, however, want to get my alignment perfect, so I ordered a set of SPC Racing UCAs from our good friends at Lowrange.com. I love those guys. So those will be going on this weekend for a perfect alignment so I don't wear my new tires weird.

In regards to the fridge, I think I'm more of a cooler guy. The fridge is sweet, and super convenient, except that it takes up almost half the room in the back. My ice chest is slightly smaller and way lighter, so it allows me to pack more stuff in there. Bummer, because the convenience of the fridge would be really nice.

So I think I'm pretty much done with this rig aside from regular PM.

sixstringsteve

I believe it's a 50 QT (47L). I'll double check later today.

The more I drive this rig the more I love it. I'd still love a doublecab tacoma, but it's definitely not worth $10k more to me than my current rig.

Caleb

I just got back from a mtb trip in Moab. I love these tires. The 4runner did really well, except it wouldn't start on saturday. We tried EVERYTHING. It would crank like crazy, but not fire. I could hear the fuel pump, and it only ever had a problem starting when the battery was low. This definitely wasn't the case with this new die hard beast of a battery.

We were stuck at the camp spot. We decided to have it towed into town. Right when we got signal, I decided to check the interwebs. Someone mentioned something about an ignition security feature that required the other key? Low and behold, we tried the other key and it fired right up. I was using the non-chip key (which I swear has started the rig before). I was glad to have it start right up with no issues.

FWIW, I know Toyotas have had problems with replacement keys(even keys from the dealer). I know my dealer told me the only way they'll guarantee the replacement key is if the vehicle is there so they can test it. Even with the VIN, key code, etc they wouldn't guarantee the key will work. This was on my 07 Tundra because it only came with one key.

sixstringsteve

Interesting, that's really good to know. All 3 of my keys have worked in the past, but for some reason the immobilizer was on with the chipless key. My other chipped keys seem to work (and even the chipless one worked before). It was such a simple solution, I wish I had tried it before spending an hour and a half trying to diagnose what was wrong.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
You should have a little red key icon that flashes on your dash or near your HVAC controls. When a non-chipped or incorrect chip is in the column, it will continue to flash. When the correct key is in the column, it goes away. This is step one in identifying an issue with a key. A locksmith (even Lowes) can make a chipped key but never the master. If you lose that you can try Toyota OR buy a new ECU and key.

sixstringsteve

You should have a little red key icon that flashes on your dash or near your HVAC controls. When a non-chipped or incorrect chip is in the column, it will continue to flash. When the correct key is in the column, it goes away. This is step one in identifying an issue with a key. A locksmith (even Lowes) can make a chipped key but never the master. If you lose that you can try Toyota OR buy a new ECU and key.

Thanks, I always wondered what that was for.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Transponder keys suck. :handlebars:
Went through it with my wife's sequoia http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?97787-Programming-a-transponder-key&highlight=sequoia

I didn't feel like doing the timing belt on her Sequoia and called around ended up at Carl Malone Toyota for the waterpump/timing belt deal, I asked them when I was there what another key would cost and they waived the programming fee since it was already there and just charged me the price of the key. :greg:

sixstringsteve

Last week I had my LR UCAs installed with a new alignment. What a difference! The car tracks so much better on the freeway with no floaty feel. I'm really happy with how this rig handles both on road and off road. It's a fantastic rig.

meach4x4

blah, blah, blah.... :D

In regards to the fridge, I think I'm more of a cooler guy. The fridge is sweet, and super convenient, except that it takes up almost half the room in the back. My ice chest is slightly smaller and way lighter, so it allows me to pack more stuff in there. Xs rig"

So I think I'm pretty much done with this rig aside from regular PM.:rofl:

The little ARB fridge is smaller than a 30 quart cooler, and it holds about twice as much food, since no ice taking up the space. I've pretty well sworn off any more ice melters. No more soggy sandwiches for me!

- small lift with LR UCAs (but keeping stock components in case I ever decide to sell it) IF YOU EVER SELL IT.... :rofl::rofl::rofl: man, you are SOOOO much in denial.

Gil
(At least I know my insanity :rolleyes: