Can of Worms: Socal Fire Vs Katrina Response

Why has the response to the SoCal fires been so much more successful than Katrina?

• Difference between the disasters themselves are the major reason for the difference in the response.

Votes: 14 43.8%
  • Money! There is so much more tax money at risk in SoCal than there was in New Orleans.

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Government racism. Largely black population in New Orleans Vs. a largely white population in SoCal.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Lessons learned in New Orleans helped the government to properly react in SoCal.

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • The SoCal government is so much better funded that they could react more quickly and massively.

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • The people in SoCal were more prepared to react properly, partially due to the major Cedar fire.

Votes: 12 37.5%

• Total voters

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
"Government racism. Largely black population in New Orleans Vs. a largely white population in SoCal." When was the last time you were in SoCal? Largely white my ass! Last time I was down there it looked like I had traveled to the wrong side of the border.

This was easy enough to look up. From the US Census Bureau:

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/22/2255000.html
http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/06/06073.html

New Orleans:
Black or African American persons 67.3%
White persons 28.1%

San Diego County:
Black persons 5.6%
White persons not Hispanic 52.3%

My statement stands. The San Diego population is predominantly white. No other racial group comes close.

StrobeNGH

no user title
So, it's up to someone else to get you out of an area that's going to be hit?

I'm not saying that the NO refugees were blameless, I'm just pointing out one pretty big difference between the two events.

tell you what, if I was in the path of a major hurricane and I didn't have a car, I'd still find a way to get out.

I'm positive that even with no transportation and a limited budget you could get out of an area, but don't you think it would get a little complicated when EVERYONE else is also trying to get out of Dodge?

If I didn't have a car, no one in my family had a car, and none of my neighbors had cars, and we were told to evacuate SLC . . . it would be a pretty challenging task if there were no public transit alternatives.
And, if you were accustomed to the government caring for all of your needs, the situation becomes even more complicated.

These people were accustomed to their government (state and local) caring for them . . . so when it came time for them to be evacuated, I'm sure a lot of them expected the government to take care of them.
The state/local government dropped the ball,a nd we know the rest of the story.

The lesson: if you are going to insist on government programs to take care of everyone and their dog, you had better be prepared to follow through in ALL instances, and be dependable.
Otherwise, the goverment should stay out of people's lives and let them be accountable for their own wellbeing.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Why were they accustomed to the government taking care of all their needs? I don't know if you can back that statement up. I bet if you ask them they'll say they are used to the government failing them. It's a matter of perspective, I guess.

projektdotnet

Cruiserhead
My statement stands. The San Diego population is predominantly white. No other racial group comes close.

Census doesn't count illegals to they? :confused: I was down there less than 3 years ago and L.A. County was almost all Hispanic with the exception of some areas of Malibu and Thousand Oaks.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Census doesn't count illegals to they? :confused: I was down there less than 3 years ago and L.A. County was almost all Hispanic with the exception of some areas of Malibu and Thousand Oaks.

Uh, yes. The census counts everyone. Legal and illegal alike. Illegal aliens are even included in the population figure used to determine how many congressional seats each state gets. Google it. Also, those figures are for San Diego county, not L.A. County. I could get those easy enough, but I'm not going to right now. The census is a pretty in-depth detailed study of population. I'm going to believe it's findings long before I'm going to believe the casual observation of an individual on a limited visit to a different county. ;)

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic

Uh, yes. The census counts everyone. Legal and illegal alike. Illegal aliens are even included in the population figure used to determine how many congressional seats each state gets. Google it. Also, those figures are for San Diego county, not L.A. County. L.A. County and San Diego County (where the bulk of the evacuations occurred) have vastly different populations. The census is an in-depth detailed study of population. I'm going to believe it's findings long before I'm going to believe the casual observation of an individual on a limited visit to a different county. ;)

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/06/06037.html

LA County:
Black persons 9.7%
White persons 74.1%
White persons not Hispanic 29.5%

Subtracting 29.5% from 74.1% means that the Hispanic population in L.A. County is 44.6%. Completely different demographics than San Diego. Also the term "white" includes Hispanics. No matter how you argue it, the fact is the population demographics in New Orleans are totally different than San Diego. Just like the population in L.A. is totally different than San Diego. My statement stands. :)

StrobeNGH

no user title
Why were they accustomed to the government taking care of all their needs? I don't know if you can back that statement up. I bet if you ask them they'll say they are used to the government failing them. It's a matter of perspective, I guess.

Have you ever lived in a big city?
Go spend some time in a big city (SLC is not really a big city) and you will quickly see what I am talking about.

Free breakfast and after school programs for kids, a Welfare system that would make you cry (the first of each month is known as "father's day" because that is when the welfare check hits, and the delinquent/absent fathers show up for a handout), Food Stamp/WIC programs, Health Care, transportation, etc . . .

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Have you ever lived in a big city?
Go spend some time in a big city (SLC is not really a big city) and you will quickly see what I am talking about.

Free breakfast and after school programs for kids, a Welfare system that would make you cry (the first of each month is known as "father's day" because that is when the welfare check hits, and the delinquent/absent fathers show up for a handout), Food Stamp/WIC programs, Health Care, transportation, etc . . .

Yes, I realize the welfare system is being ridiculously abused, especially in cities like New Orleans. My query was why these particular populations rely on it so much when others do not. ;) No, I have never lived in a "big city", nor do I have the least desire to do so.

Last edited:

projektdotnet

Cruiserhead
Uh, yes. The census counts everyone. Legal and illegal alike. Illegal aliens are even included in the population figure used to determine how many congressional seats each state gets. Google it. Also, those figures are for San Diego county, not L.A. County. L.A. County and San Diego County (where the bulk of the evacuations occurred) have vastly different populations. The census is an in-depth detailed study of population. I'm going to believe it's findings long before I'm going to believe the casual observation of an individual on a limited visit to a different county. ;)

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/06/06037.html

LA County:
Black persons 9.7%
White persons 74.1%
White persons not Hispanic 29.5%

Subtracting 29.5% from 74.1% means that the Hispanic population in L.A. County is 44.6%. Completely different demographics than San Diego. Also the term "white" includes Hispanics. No matter how you argue it, the fact is the population demographics in New Orleans are totally different than San Diego. Just like the population in L.A. is totally different than San Diego. My statement stands. :)

Well. Stastistically I stand corrected then don't I? :rofl: Also the lesson on the census (been way too long since I did ANY studying about it) was nice. I like learning something new every day. Thanks :D

Catherine

Mrs. Gardner
I am from southern California. My sister is still living there now. I hate to be the nay sayer on this population debate but the census may say that they are counting the illegals but I don't think so. Living down there you get a more accurate feel of race. Hispanics are the majority. In any county.

As for the fire...my sister has not be told to evacuate but when they started seeing fires pop up she put supplies (clothing and food) in the car. The fire is cresting the hill right behind her house. Looting is still happening in san diego. I have a friend whose family evacuated to Qualcom stadium except her father. He stayed to protect the house. however, I realize for the most part that people are evacuating.
My dad has property just outside of temecula that burns almost every year.

In so cal you get to see the pattern of where the natural disasters always occur. Fires, earthquakes and mud slides are things that will happen every year. I think that most of the differences between hurricane katrina and so cal is practice. californians go through this every year, new orleans had one big disaster.