Cherokee help

hoosier

mtn yot
Mine is not going to be a true "boat side". I am doing subframe connectors then integrated rocker panels/rock rails. And running a 3/8 flat plate from the rocker to the subframe

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I would definitely not run 3/8" plate. Mine is 10 gauge which is in between 1/8" and 3/16" and it's fine. 3/8" is just going to add a couple hundred pounds for no reason

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
The 3/8 is free and it is going to be on the bottom so i am not really worried about the weight. And i REALLY like free

Free steel does not make that mod worth it... 3/8" steel ANYWHERE on a Cherokee is ridiculous. 3/8" boat sides would remove themselves and the entire bottom half of your rig on the first bump you hit.

hoosier

mtn yot
Ok so i am going to be going with 1/4inch for my Simi-boatsides. So i have been doing a little digging into the front end. I have a lot of issues but instead of fixing them one by one i am just going to buy some junk yard axles and build them and put them in. That way my down time is greatly reduced. Now the question is what axles? Few criteria... 1must still retain streetability, must be available at most wrecking yards, as close to straight bolt in as possible, and as strong or stronger than my stock 92 axles

STAG

On my grind
TJ/LJ front "D44"

Will be found in Rubicons and should be your easiest axle to get to a "bolt in" upgrade.

Last edited:

N-Smooth

^this is the only choice that is even close to a bolt-on upgrade and I don't think it's worth it since they still have weak axle tubes and d30 outers but yeah...

I am of the belief that the only axles that are worth swapping under an XJ are tons and that's a ridiculous venture in itself so I just stuck with the stock axles and keep the tires small. XJ's make an excellent platform if you understand their strengths and shortcomings.

I have an extremely built 44 that's about 90% bolt in to an xj that I may be tossing up for sale shortly. Pm me if your interested. It's the same width as your stock axles too so you can remain street legal if you wanted.

hoosier

mtn yot
They need complete overhaul. Gears, bearings, seals, lockers, ect... when i do it i want blast it paint and custom dif covers. And i can't afford down time

N-Smooth

I see. You should look for a 30 out of a second gen XJ but not 2000-2001 cause they should be low pinion. Every second gen I've ever seen has the 760x ujoints.

Take the 8.25 rear out of the same XJ and it will be 29 spline.

That's what I would do

STAG

On my grind
Your cheapest route and least downtime will be:

yes finding another similar axle out of an XJ with lower miles (can be easily found for $50-$100 or even free or trade if you look hard enough.)

and if that axle needs any maintenance you can do it without having your XJ down.

Swap your new axle in a day in your driveway and then sell (or giveaway) your old axle

however this doesn't give you any more strength, only fixes your maintenance issues at the lowest downtime.

Im sure some of us would even be happy to help you swap axles one day if you provide pizza and drinks.

hoosier

mtn yot
I still need to build my upper links so.i can ditch the stock upper arms. Buy my steering and start gathering parts. Also is there a week point in the stock steering i understand that the stock steering is not optimal but it is what i have for now. My steering is crazy loose. I had soneone turn the wheel but everything looked nice and tight. I am just worried because of in wondering while driving down the road

N-Smooth

The whole stock steering is weak but all I replaced is the tie rod. That works for a lot of people but not for me because of my driving style. The tracbar is probably loose. The upper side wears out fast and the axle side will actually "egg out" the hole and cause just enough wiggle-room to make your steering feel loose.

thenag

I am of the belief that the only axles that are worth swapping under an XJ are tons and that's a ridiculous venture in itself so I just stuck with the stock axles and keep the tires small. XJ's make an excellent platform if you understand their strengths and shortcomings.

I agree, there are some things you can do to help the d30 live a bit longer (the bigger u-joint axle shafts etc) but yeah there is not really any practical bolt in axle from a yard. I am sure dynatrac or someone would be more than happy to build a bad ass axle that would bolt in.

For the rear there are plenty of good options, the Explorer 8.8 is something to look into, the later 8.25's that come with the xj's are not bad either.

The "rock monkey" setup is sweet and should be plenty durable under an xj with 4.0L Not at all "low skill" or "low time" though.

(says the guy with a d60/gm14 bolt under his xj...)

Nathan
http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?83436-Nathan-and-Tanja-s-99-XJ-Build-up

hoosier

mtn yot
I will not be running anything larger than a 33. From what I have been told that is small enough that as long as I am not crazy heavy on the skinny pedal the stock axle should hold up fine. I will most likely upgrade the joints and shafts just for a little extra protection with the lockers but that is about it. I want to run a larger disk in the front and rear disks if I can find a good write up on how to do it without a kit. One more thing for now anyone have a good lead on finding these parts? I also need a steering column (with cruise), 4 doors with manual windows, seat belts for the rear and a speaker bar.