Cherokee help

XJEEPER

I will not be running anything larger than a 33. From what I have been told that is small enough that as long as I am not crazy heavy on the skinny pedal the stock axle should hold up fine. I will most likely upgrade the joints and shafts just for a little extra protection with the lockers but that is about it. I want to run a larger disk in the front and rear disks if I can find a good write up on how to do it without a kit. One more thing for now anyone have a good lead on finding these parts? I also need a steering column (with cruise), 4 doors with manual windows, seat belts for the rear and a speaker bar.

I'm running a beefed HP D30 with WJ brakes/steering and beefed XJ D44 rear. Read through my build thread. http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=913774&page=2

StormRider

You've got 3 options to get better brakes on a D30-
1) WJ Brake swap.
2) Vanco Big Brake kit (~$1000 if you can get it)
3) Reid 30/44 knuckles, let's you run Chevy D44 sized stuff from the spindle out. (~$1000-$2000, depending on the right donor axle)

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Do you want to do the brake swap just for funsies or do you think you need better brakes? Can't say I've ever wanted more braking power for my XJ on 33's but to each his own

STAG

On my grind
Probably a good idea to bleed/flush the brake lines with new fluid before converting brake systems if you feel your brakes need improvement.

You could have air in the system or crappy/contaminated fluid.

Last edited:

Seven

Doing Rear disc conversion using either ZJ or KJ rear disc brake parts is pretty easy and you can usually find most the parts in junkyards. Can be done pretty economically and I think is worth it. Upgrading the fronts are either expensive or requires quite a bit of work, which is why I never did it.

If your ever in ogden I have a pair of the 297x dana 30 shafts that I would let you have for 50.00

hoosier

mtn yot
So the reason for the brake upgrades are i am cautious. I would rather have good upgraded brakes than decent stock brakes. I believe in building safety above where it ever NEEDS to be that way You can just enjoy your rigs and not worry about making it out safely. Just me... i am weird that way

XJEEPER

I run TJ discs on my D44 rear which are an improvement over drums, but the WJ brakes on the front with dual piston calipers and larger rotors provide more stopping power than stock, plus the benefits of the much improved steering, compared to the factory XJ Inverted Y setup.

hoosier

mtn yot
Quick question... why would i run rear drop spring brackets? Just reading write ups and looking at pictures it seems to just be a cheap lift that just puts more things hanging off the bottom of the frame or am i missing something