Crossing over..

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
PierCed_3 said:
well, it will; at the moment it is torn down to the frame and getting a full resto. Now I am debating whether or not to FI that 455 or not. I can't stand carbs but I am having a hard time finding a FI unit for the 455.

My bro used to have a 65 buick Skylark GS convertible that had a Buick Wildcat 430 motor in it. Now that was a sweet ride!

Nothing wrong with the Quadrajet that came stock on that beast. That'll feed all the cubes pretty well if in good working condition.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
PierCed_3 said:
well, it will; at the moment it is torn down to the frame and getting a full resto. Now I am debating whether or not to FI that 455 or not. I can't stand carbs but I am having a hard time finding a FI unit for the 455.

well, I offer you a Qjet out of a 76 LeSabre? if you can use it. I am going to EFI, and you're more than invited to Tooele to assist if you'd like. Mid June, it's getting installed.

Last edited:

PierCed_3

I drive Frankenstein!!
I may take you up on that offer Tacoma. The only thing I have against carbs is cold starts. I hate pumping the gas to get it to start. Other than that it is ok. I really like how I can go out to the Jeep and crank it 3 turns and it always fires up.

Do you think I should use a Qjet or get a DeMon Carb? 1050 CFM :D?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
PierCed_3 said:
The only thing I have against carbs is cold starts. I hate pumping the gas to get it to start. Other than that it is ok. I really like how I can go out to the Jeep and crank it 3 turns and it always fires up.
adjust the choke.

PierCed_3

I drive Frankenstein!!
Hickey said:
adjust the choke.

Mine was a manual... it sucked, I have been in many automatic choke's that still took a while before it would run well at first startup. Maybe I was doing it wrong?

It used to have a Holley 650 double pumper 4bbl on it and it was a PITA. Always adjusting and had to have it rebuilt twice because of backfiring and toasting the seals. I hated that carb!

Usually when I would start a car with a carb it took a couple of minutes and some revving before it would stay running. I really like my FI cars now though :D.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
This carb has an electric choke, so you're golden. I never had any trouble with my trucks, with also had electric chokes. One BBC, one SBC. VRROOOOM

Batman

waynehartwig said:
Is yours a squirt boat? I know lots of stuff to get speed out of them. I took mine from 45 to 60 mph with minor mods - none of them were to the motor. The Olds big block has a lot of low end torque and high RPM's (4k and up) the motor will blow up. So I did things to the pump to keep the RPM's of the motor down and utilize the torque. Then I put together the 454 and instantly had a 100 mph boat. Lot's of power... From a standing start the back would go under water and the nose would lift out of the water and the boat would literally 'jump' out of the water, flatten out and take off. I could do a 1/4 mile pass in under 6 seconds because of it's holeshot.
Are you always this full of BS? Do you know that the world record 1/4 mile time in a boat is 7.84 seconds? For you to do a 1/4 mile in 6 seconds (let alone "under 6 seconds") you would have to average 150 miles per hour. Of course, since you're starting from a stop you'll have to go much faster than that. :rolleyes: Sorry I've read enough BS on the internet that I just couldn't let this one go without calling you on it. ;)

Caleb

Andy said:
It's an I/O, I should have worded it different, 454 HO EFI. It's not a speed boat like yours, but after seeing what mine will do I have the itch to get something with more speed on the water. You have to remember I am used to boats that do 35-40 max so having one that has the power to hit 60 is different. It's nothing like a Nordic or Baja but I don't have that kind of money $$$, it's a family boat 22.5 Crownline open bow. It does have the transom exhaust which I love, nothing like a screaming BBC :D always puts a smile on my face.
I used to drive a Nordic for a living :D

Batman said:
re you always this full of BS? Do you know that the world record 1/4 mile time in a boat is 7.84 seconds? For you to do a 1/4 mile in 6 seconds (let alone "under 6 seconds") you would have to average 150 miles per hour. Of course, since you're starting from a stop you'll have to go much faster than that. Sorry I've read enough BS on the internet that I just couldn't let this one go without calling you on it. ;)

:rofl: foot...mouth... :p

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
PierCed_3 said:
Mine was a manual... it sucked, I have been in many automatic choke's that still took a while before it would run well at first startup. Maybe I was doing it wrong?

It used to have a Holley 650 double pumper 4bbl on it and it was a PITA. Always adjusting and had to have it rebuilt twice because of backfiring and toasting the seals. I hated that carb!

Usually when I would start a car with a carb it took a couple of minutes and some revving before it would stay running. I really like my FI cars now though :D.

I had a 750 Holley on my Camaro, no choke. It always fired up with just a quick tap of the ignition. Then again, everything on the motor was new & I had a high dollar distributor & ignition box. ;)

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Meat_ said:
Careful, they get old too. I've been riding them since about '82... several 3wheelers and since '96 I've put 13,300 some odd miles on Sportsmans and although I still enjoy riding them and will never be without one, I'm at the been there done that phase with atvs, hence the impending buggy :)

Everything goes in a circle and you will most likely be back at wheeling before you know it so keep in mind when you are thinking about selling that you can never get your money back out of toys....

well here is the deal...they have never made a quad like mine before...it is essentially a 4wd sport quad with 4 wheel independent suspension, it is psychotic to ride this thing, I have never gotten a rush like I have on this bike...wheeling was fun, but this, this is a different monster. As my quad sits, it has 57hp dyno proven by others with my same minimalistic mods (dyna ignition, Twin Air filter). Stock tires and this thing went up the face of sand mountain.

Everytime I go out, I can either put along or hold on for dear life. I have to buy one of those hand strengtheners so I can build my grip, I can't hold on to the thing!

I love adrenaline. I am starting to despise turning wrenches. Someday I will make it back to rock crawling but I don't have 15 grand to throw at a project.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Batman said:
Are you always this full of BS? Do you know that the world record 1/4 mile time in a boat is 7.84 seconds? For you to do a 1/4 mile in 6 seconds (let alone "under 6 seconds") you would have to average 150 miles per hour. Of course, since you're starting from a stop you'll have to go much faster than that. :rolleyes: Sorry I've read enough BS on the internet that I just couldn't let this one go without calling you on it. ;)
Dang 1 stuck on the keyboard...:rolleyes:

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Supergper said:
I dunno what else to say....The boat was fast. I never ran it through any lights. Maybe closer to 12 or 13 seconds. There is no way a 460 BBC running on pump gas can make anything, land or water, do 6 seconds in a 1/4 mile.

Meat_

Banned
spencurai said:
well here is the deal...they have never made a quad like mine before...it is essentially a 4wd sport quad with 4 wheel independent suspension, it is psychotic to ride this thing, I have never gotten a rush like I have on this bike...wheeling was fun, but this, this is a different monster. As my quad sits, it has 57hp dyno proven by others with my same minimalistic mods (dyna ignition, Twin Air filter). Stock tires and this thing went up the face of sand mountain.

Everytime I go out, I can either put along or hold on for dear life. I have to buy one of those hand strengtheners so I can build my grip, I can't hold on to the thing!

I love adrenaline. I am starting to despise turning wrenches. Someday I will make it back to rock crawling but I don't have 15 grand to throw at a project.

Sportsmans have been independent since '96, will do 60+ and out accelerate Warriors (the 500's, the 7 and 8's spank that).... trust me, you will burn out on wheelers if you ride them too much.

When you are riding roads like Mary Ellens Gulch (down) at 45~50 mph and you're bored..... you'll be in my boat.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Meat_ said:
Sportsmans have been independent since '96, will do 60+ and out accelerate Warriors (the 500's, the 7 and 8's spank that).... trust me, you will burn out on wheelers if you ride them too much.

When you are riding roads like Mary Ellens Gulch (down) at 45~50 mph and you're bored..... you'll be in my boat.
I hit 72mph on the sand last week. This bike is about 150 lbs lighter than a polaris 800 and outaccelerates it with ease.

And I wont be on your boat...I will be on Andy's or Gillen's boat.

Meat_

Banned
spencurai said:
I hit 72mph on the sand last week. This bike is about 150 lbs lighter than a polaris 800 and outaccelerates it with ease.
Don't believe the speedo's ;) I haven't been around the 750's but the first version of your bike would only very slightly out run a 500 which weighed 200 lbs more...... but more importanly, when we going riding? :)

spencurai said:
And I wont be on your boat...I will be on Andy's or Gillen's boat.

:rofl:

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
I hit 67mph on the dirt before I ran out of room and I was keeping up with cars on the freeway so I tend to trust the speedo...I ain't pullin your leg man, this thing is fast.

I am up at work right now but will be back in a week or so ready to ride!!