Do you browse KSl classifieds with no intention of buying, just for fun?

Do you watch the KSL classifieds with zero intention of buying?

• Total voters

carsonc1974

When setting up a meet I always give an idea what I'm willing to pay and let the owner know I'm willing to pay more/ less depending on actual condition... common sense as I don't want to waste my own time either.

I'm not going to say I never lowball, but that is always over the phone or message. Many people ask way to much $ for their used crap.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

STAG

I only get on ksl when I am looking for something specific.

When I list stuff, I usually list it at like 15% lower than "what it's worth" and then stick firm to my price, (no haggling) or I drop the price if it is on there a really long time.

Like my snowmobile, it was probably "worth" $2,200-2,300 as it was, but I listed it at $1,900 and it sold in 20 minutes. Sometimes to me I would rather just have a low price and easy sale than deal with hagglers, low-ball offers and tire kickers.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
also, the classifieds world has been ruined by hagglers, so the "asking" price is not what it actually sells for. so if a person looks to determine what something is "going for" they are getting bad info

because it seems now, no matter how good of a price, buyers will not pay asking price.

I posted a used 1-time dewalt electric impact, with case. For like $45.00

I was bombarded with people offering like $20.00, when I said "$45.00 firm" they said nevermind. to the point I pulled it off.

1 day later I re-posted the ad, but at $100.00. I was then bombarded by people offering $40.00-$50.00

I did end up selling it to an RME-er. for $40.00 or something. but to an on-looker who trusted the price shown on the ads "those things are going for $100.00" but that's not what it did actually "go for"

but the point is that sellers are forced to list way high, because something about the classifieds world makes buyers think you automatically high-ball them. and since they list it high, and get haggled down, the buyers are then confirmed in their initial thinking

it's a snake eating its own tail

I use RME's classified almost exclusively now, so much less B.S.

This makes me laugh. Clearly you are new to the world of selling/buying things second hand. Unless the listing says "Firm" on the price, you always haggle. Thats how it's always been. Hell, there are books, movies, blogs all about how to negotiate for the best price. Half the fun of buying stuff used is trying to get the best price for it.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
he gathered as many people he could that worked there and said. "OK you guys all hit him up with some ridiculous low-ball offer, so that way the phone #s are all different. Then, when I make an offer of ______ (which was still pretty low) he will think that's the best offer I have gotten, I better take it..."

Smart guy!

I sleep very well at night. ;)

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I have gotten to the point where I just say, if you don't have 50 bucks or whatever the price is don't show up. I also like to leave when they don't show up on time, people only waste your time if you let them. Recently I told someone I was gonna be home really late, like 2 am late, they still wanted to come over, and I sold a stupid 40 dollar chair at 2 am. People are weird

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
This makes me laugh. Clearly you are new to the world of selling/buying things second hand. Unless the listing says "Firm" on the price, you always haggle. Thats how it's always been. Hell, there are books, movies, blogs all about how to negotiate for the best price. Half the fun of buying stuff used is trying to get the best price for it.

exactly I will low ball the shit out of someone right off the bat, I am willing to pay a fair price but if you are willing to let it go for cheaper then so be it. I also find half the fun of buying stuff used is haggling with people. I went as far as making a guy throw in a single 1/2" wrench one time just for fun lol......

DAA

Supporting Member
So, as a follow-up, how many of you will contact the seller and maybe even arrange to look at the item, while acting like you're interested in buying, even when you know you're 100% sure you wont?

I haven't read any of the responses, so I genuinely hope I'm not stepping on my unit here and insulting someone - but, that is my personal definition of a TOOL.

I EFFING HATE those guys. They are why I only use KSL as a last resort to sell my crap. I wish they would all die.

Now I'm going to read the replies that came after this, I really hope I don't find I've totally insulted anyone I really like...

But if I have... Perhaps consider altering your behavior? Guys who do this really are effing wastes of skin who should just die...

- DAA

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Stephen is one of those guys, he needed 31 inch tire for a spare, I had a excellent tread tire for him and shot him the friend deal of 25 bucks. Yes, 25 bucks for a almost new tire. He still haggled me for 20.00. All the nature of the beast. He was promptly on time though. If you don't like haggling, don't sell stuff. I throw a lot of stuff out or free, just because I don't want to deal with it for 20 bucks

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Stephen is one of those guys, he needed 31 inch tire for a spare, I had a excellent tread tire for him and shot him the friend deal of 25 bucks. Yes, 25 bucks for a almost new tire. He still haggled me for 20.00. All the nature of the beast. He was promptly on time though. If you don't like haggling, don't sell stuff. I throw a lot of stuff out or free, just because I don't want to deal with it for 20 bucks

Yup, I'm a bad person. I also club baby seals for fun and pour out full bottles of home brew just 'cause I can. ;)

That said if ATM's spit out $5 bills, or you took plastic, I wouldn't have offered $20. But Since pulling out $40, then going someplace to break the bill (since I never assume that the person I'm buying from has change) is a hassle, it's easier to just offer $20.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I haven't read any of the responses, so I genuinely hope I'm not stepping on my unit here and insulting someone - but, that is my personal definition of a TOOL.

I EFFING HATE those guys. They are why I only use KSL as a last resort to sell my crap. I wish they would all die.

Now I'm going to read the replies that came after this, I really hope I don't find I've totally insulted anyone I really like...

But if I have... Perhaps consider altering your behavior? Guys who do this really are effing wastes of skin who should just die...

- DAA

Oh yeah, I'm with you. This is the most annoying thing. If you're not at least going to make an offer of some kind, don't bother calling. I also hate the people who ask, "Whats the lowest you'll take?" Gee, I dunno. Make an offer and we'll find out! Thats why I have it listed OBO.

DAA

Supporting Member
I don't even reply to the "what is the lowest you'll take" messages anymore. Fawk those guys. I hope they die in a fire. After watching someone they love die in terrible pain.

- DAA

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I don't even reply to the "what is the lowest you'll take" messages anymore. Fawk those guys. I hope they die in a fire. After watching someone they love die in terrible pain.

- DAA

Wow, thats seriously harsh! I like your style! ;)

I also get irritated when people text or e-mail and can't form complete sentences, have improper grammar, or use "textese". God that irritates the hell out of me. "Wat lowst u take?"

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
gravesdigger, do you remember making me an offer on the dewalt impact that I was talking about? I remember you making me an offer via text

then, as now. you and I take different positions on "bargaining"

I don't remember specifically, but it's likely because I did purchase a brand new Dewalt impact 2 Christmases ago (sometimes a warranty is worth paying full price for).
I'm genuinely sorry if I inadvertently offended you though, that's never my intent.

STAG

The one at work will spit out $1 bills, I'm not quite sure what to think of the option, I don't think a strip club is close by... ;)

For the "please help I'm pretending to be a homeless needy guy p.s. God bless" at the Walmart entrances.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.

- DAA

Don't hold back. Tell is how you really feel, Dave.

sixstringsteve

To me, it seems like some people are more interested in getting a good deal than getting an item they want/need. Or they'll walk away from an item they want/need simply because the seller refuses to budge on price.