Driving on Roads with No Doors?

Hey guys,

I did a search, but couldn't seem to find anything on this topic. What are the laws on running on the streets with no doors? I understand that I'd have to fab something up for a mirror. That isn't a big deal. I'd just like to take my doors off my 1st gen 4runner when I take the top off in the summer.

Thanks,

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
The way I have always understood it is that it is illegal with a vehicle that wasn't designed to have the doors removed. Something about no lip to keep things from rolling out.

Never stopped me in my Bronco II when I had it, never got a ticket. But that doesn't mean I was right.

Although I could be way of base here. If I had my computer with me i would find the actual code for it, I got pretty good at that when I moved to Utah a Few years ago.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I think that there needs to be a lip on the lower part of the door frame thats over an inch high. All I know is that it is 100% legal to take the doors off on my Samurai, but not on my Pathfinder.

Slangy

Sgt. CulPepper
A kid I know took the doors off his Bronco II and got pulled over within a week, had them back on pretty quick. Not sure about the lip law but it sounds correct.

huntinkid

Its the lip law...thats why jeeps are ok the lip on the tub is 2 to 3 inches. i mean i'm sure you could fight it saying it was made to take the doors off cause of the 4 bolts are removable. but the lip is what makes it "illegal"

Indeed, the lip law. My IH Scout II with doors off = no good. My IH Scout II with doors off and factory fiberglass door inserts to form a 3" lip in the door opening = bueno.