Egg Beater Build (AKA Scrambler)

webyepn

gone yeepn
Well everyone. I am trying to do two things for the first time. A frame off restoration on my 81 CJ8 and a thread on my build. So please be pationt with me. You would think that I would have done one of these on my own being's that I have been in the autobody industry for the past 17 years but I haven't. Had my hands in a lot of them but never my own. So here we go.:ugh:

Rig.

jeep motor 09 001.jpg
81 CJ8 Egg Beater (aka Scramber):rofl:.. Bought it last january and wheeled it for a year love it. But had many plans for it. So for the past year I have been colllecting parts.

Drive Train.

jeep motor 09 002.jpg
Had a Amc 360 with a AMC 400 Trans and a Dana 20 Twin stick. Its going to get a 400 hp:bow: 350 throttle body with a 700R4 and a NP241

Interior.

scrambler rebuild 022.jpg
scrambler rebuild 018.jpg
scrambler rebuild 023.jpg

Has a really chopped up interior. Its going to get a hole filled and a new dash with all the fixin's. Bed line the inside with drain plugs and new body mounts and bed lined on the underside.

So that is it pretty much in a nut shell for know. I will be writing about many suggestions and asking for much advise. Let the rebuild begin...:thumbs:

webyepn

gone yeepn
Here is what I have done so far.

[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Had to lower the tire pressure just to get it to fit into my garage.. But it fits.

Got the motor out and off to its new home. ( love working on old rigs only to 7 hours to get the motor out).

[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Attachments

• scrambler rebuild 005.jpg
    scrambler rebuild 005.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 47
  • scrambler rebuild 006.jpg
    scrambler rebuild 006.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 42
  • scrambler rebuild 007.jpg
    scrambler rebuild 007.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 43
  • scrambler rebuild 008.jpg
    scrambler rebuild 008.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 40
  • scrambler rebuild 011.jpg
    scrambler rebuild 011.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 44
  • scrambler rebuild 012.jpg
    scrambler rebuild 012.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 44
  • scrambler rebuild 013.jpg
    scrambler rebuild 013.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 42
  • scrambler rebuild 014.jpg
    scrambler rebuild 014.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 49
  • scrambler rebuild 015.jpg
    scrambler rebuild 015.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 40
  • scrambler rebuild 016.jpg
    scrambler rebuild 016.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 32

webyepn

gone yeepn
So my next project after the motor was pulled is to pull out the interior and get it ready for the bed liner. I am pulling the roll cage and the dash off and then sanding fixing the holes in the tub and putting bedliner in it. Should be buckets of fun..

webyepn

gone yeepn
So know for some question's. There are some things that I am needing and if anyone has them or could give me any recommendation's on were I could find them that would be great.

First my wiring from the bulk head into the engine compartment has seen better day's and I would like to get a new one.

scrambler rebuild 009.jpg
scrambler rebuild 010.jpg

Also my windshield frame is off of a yj and I would like to go back to a cj frame so if anyone has a good used one I would like to look at it.

Also my Scrambler has been bobbed. Can you guys look at these pics and give me some suggestions on what you would do to finish it off???:eek: They had a rubber mat over it before.

scrambler rebuild 027.jpg
scrambler rebuild 026.jpg
scrambler rebuild 019.jpg

Bart

Love the project and good luck with it. As for the interior holes, you'll need to make some patch plates out of similar gauge sheet metal, fit them well and weld them in. Grind down and put metal filler in, then sand. Be very careful welding and grinding around the gas tank. In fact you may want to drop it before you do this. This makes a very clean patch and primer/sealer, and the bed liner over the top will make it rust proof. You may want to make a box to enclose the gas filler hose while you're at it.

If you can lift your body off the frame you might want to consider boxing in the frame. There are some week spots on the CJ8 frames and boxing helps a lot.

Good luck with the build and keep the updates coming.

webyepn

gone yeepn
Love the project and good luck with it. As for the interior holes, you'll need to make some patch plates out of similar gauge sheet metal, fit them well and weld them in. Grind down and put metal filler in, then sand. Be very careful welding and grinding around the gas tank. In fact you may want to drop it before you do this. This makes a very clean patch and primer/sealer, and the bed liner over the top will make it rust proof. You may want to make a box to enclose the gas filler hose while you're at it.

If you can lift your body off the frame you might want to consider boxing in the frame. There are some week spots on the CJ8 frames and boxing helps a lot.

Good luck with the build and keep the updates coming.

Thanks for the input bart.. The tub is coming off tonight I will take some pic's with the tub off and if you wouldn't mind pointing out the week spots I will look at boxing them or the whole frame. I had two body mount bolts break off and one spin witch I have been told I am very lucky it wasn't more. All post some more pic's of the progress soon..

webyepn

gone yeepn
Hey by the way Bart I herd you got a Harley? We are going for a ride the end of next Month.. U should come Ahhhh..

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
Painless wiring is the best there is and they have all kinds of applications. it is a cool build but i think it would be sweet if you made it all coils with multi link, i'm a huge fan of it and the ride quality is amazing, keep teh pics coming

webyepn

gone yeepn
Painless wiring is the best there is and they have all kinds of applications. it is a cool build but i think it would be sweet if you made it all coils with multi link, i'm a huge fan of it and the ride quality is amazing, keep teh pics coming

I looked into a painless but I think that I got my wiring problem figured out..:confused:

The coil overs in the font and TJ rear suspention and repainting the body is going to be next winter's project.. (If I get this one done) Trying to keep myself from making a 5 year project and also being able to aford it is another trick. :freak:

webyepn

gone yeepn
Ok so I got the body off of the frame and started doing my cut out's. I will be taking the frame down to my buddy's shop this week so that I can run the high pressure line for fuel.
Picture 001.jpg

Picture 006.jpg

Picture 012.jpg

So I can't decide guys. I am trying to make this a project that does not take me a couple of years to complete but I am really considering pulling the rest of the parts off of the tub and go get it sanblasted and just paint it well it is off of the frame. The thing is this project just started off with putting a new motor in it and a sterio. now I have the tub off the frame. Man what a project. Well lets hear what you would do...

Picture 013.jpg

Picture 035.jpg

Picture 040.jpg

Picture 041.jpg

Picture 042.jpg

Bart

Hey by the way Bart I herd you got a Harley? We are going for a ride the end of next Month.. U should come Ahhhh..

Yep, got a bagger. What dates are your ride? I've got a trip planned to Arizona on Feb 12 - 15, weather permitting.

If you've got the body off, I'd paint it while you're there.

If you can move the body around enough to paint it, go for it.

webyepn

gone yeepn
Yep, got a bagger. What dates are your ride? I've got a trip planned to Arizona on Feb 12 - 15, weather permitting.

what kind of a bagger did you get? Ya we are planning a trip down to Arizona the last weekend of Feb.

If you can move the body around enough to paint it, go for it.

So I decided I am going to take the tub down to Horvath's hot rod to get it media blasted. Guess if I'm doing this I may as well do it right.:cool:

webyepn

gone yeepn
If my kid see's this he will cry again glad your taking care of her,give me a call Terry 801-735-6923

Talk about making you fill like crap when your buying your dream vehicle.. Haha. It's been a great rig Terry. Thanks for selling it. After I bought it I had about ten people tell me they hated me because they wanted to buy it. I hope I'm doing justice buy it you will have to keep toned in to see the final project. If it turns out the way I am hoping it should be a one of a kind. I saved your number so I will give you a call for sure.