Extreme Scrambler Makeover

Maverick said:
ALERT! ALERT! I am missing the bracket that supports the steering column bracket from the 2 bolts at the top of the dash. So...if anyone has a CJ dash/steering column/brake assembly, I'm lookin' for parts.

If you mean the u shaped bracket that goes around the column and bolts to the two brake pedal bracket bolts, I have several from xjs and wagoneers. I believe they will work on CJs too.

The bracket I need doesn't actually touch the steering column. I think it goes above the main bracket and attaches to the top of the dash, 2 holes about 4" apart at the top of the dash immediately below the wiper motor. It adds stability to the main bracket.

Thanks,
Brett

Yawn.

I'm freakin' tired. Stupid seatbelts kept us entertained all evening. *(#&^%@ ()#*&@^#@ *&#$ ^*&^#@!!! torx bolts. And wiring the winch solenoid box thing. I found a vacuum port (I think) and ran a hose to the booster.

Yawn.

Hang in there buddy. You're getting so close.

ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzztt glop snort yawn huh? Oh, ya. Will do, thanks! How's yours coming?

After a refreshing 5 hours of sleep I'm at work, looking forward to taking another 1/2 day off.

Btw...it's getting a ride on Ian's RedJeep trailer to the muffler shop tomorrow.
(assuming it runs on it's own this afternoon when I put gas in the tank)
:D:D:D

[SIZE=-1]I was all excited to take the Green down and get the new custom exhaust installed around my sexy new AERO muffler.

However...in typical Booger fashion, loading it on the trailer was a lot harder than hoped. So hard, in fact, that it never happened. It wouldn't run on anything but starter fluid.

[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]I used my last quarter to call mbryson, resident TBI expert. The Green runs on starter fluid but isn't squirting anything through the injectors. It's getting 12 psi at the throttle body. It's getting the signal (green wire, 2nd injector) and the 12v hot (white wire). I *think* the connection is good at the injector. Marc thinks that if the 2nd injector harness is getting signal, then the first one is too.

I took the top of the TBI apart, pulled the injectors and the only thing I could see to clean was the little screen intake, so I hit it with gumout carb cleaner and put it all back together. By then it was too late to try starting it, so I finished bolting in the front seatbelts and called it a day.

Brett
[/SIZE]

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
[SIZE=-1]I was all excited to take the Green down and get the new custom exhaust installed around my sexy new AERO muffler.

However...in typical Booger fashion, loading it on the trailer was a lot harder than hoped. So hard, in fact, that it never happened. It wouldn't run on anything but starter fluid.

[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]I used my last quarter to call mbryson, resident TBI expert. The Green runs on starter fluid but isn't squirting anything through the injectors. It's getting 12 psi at the throttle body. It's getting the signal (green wire, 2nd injector) and the 12v hot (white wire). I *think* the connection is good at the injector. Marc thinks that if the 2nd injector harness is getting signal, then the first one is too.

I took the top of the TBI apart, pulled the injectors and the only thing I could see to clean was the little screen intake, so I hit it with gumout carb cleaner and put it all back together. By then it was too late to try starting it, so I finished bolting in the front seatbelts and called it a day.

Brett
[/SIZE]

That's frustrating. Can you pull an injector out and just hold it in a jar or something to see if it's spraying? I guess there's no other possibility if it runs on starter fluid, is there?

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
"It's getting 12 psi at the throttle body."

12 psi seems a bit too low. When I have measured fuel injection systems the pressure is more like 40 psi. I haven't played around with a GM throttle body setup however so I could be wrong. My guess is that the injectors are gummed up from sitting too long. The last set of injectors I got off ebay were so gummed up they wouldn't open up and let fuel through them. Listen for they click from the injector body while you are turning it over. If you don't hear the click they are most likely gummed up. You can get lucky sometimes by soaking them in injector cleaner to loosen them up. On my ebay set I was able to get one of them to open up by soaking them and then cycling the injector.

Last edited:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
"It's getting 12 psi at the throttle body."

12 psi seems a bit too low. When I have measured fuel injection systems the pressure is more like 40 psi. I haven't played around with a GM throttle body setup however so I could be wrong. My guess is that the injectors are gummed up from sitting too long. The last set of injectors I got off ebay were so gummed up they wouldn't open up and let fuel through them. Listen for they click from the injector body while you are turning it over. If you don't hear the click they are most likely gummed up. You can get lucky sometimes by soaking them in injector cleaner to loosen them up. On my ebay set I was able to get one of them to open up by soaking them and then cycling the injector.

I think 12 is within range for a GM TBI. From memory, it's supposed to be 10-14 or something like that.

Bart

Got a text from Brett. Whatever he did last night worked. He went there today at lunch and it fired up. He's a happy camper. The Green RUUUUUUUNS!

Sigh...the list of stuff to do over the next 10 days is still long.

Get ready for inspection:
  1. mirrors
  2. ebrake
  3. mudflaps
  4. fender extensions?
  5. horn
  6. bleed brakes again
  7. license plate
  8. tranny floor plate
  9. Get inspected
  10. Get licensed
Get ready for operation:
  1. fix CJ oil pressure gauge (I had some neat underdash ones, can't find them)
  2. temp gauge (see above)
  3. leaks
  4. connect hyd ram
  5. oil cooler mounting
  6. spare tire rack upper hinge
  7. CB & antenna
  8. hood latches
  9. rear seatbelts (bolt in)
  10. install soft top
  11. back-up light
  12. rock lights
  13. toggles
Fun stuff / final completion
  1. center console
  2. stereo
  3. soundbar
  4. amp
  5. sub
  6. 3rd seat
  7. ham & antenna
  8. Rubicon rack
Taking a deep breath tonight while the jeep is at the muffler shop. Played catch with the kids, helped with homework, chillin' with the fam, catch up on sleep.

Last edited:
Hey, I've got a present for you in the back of my pickup I keep forgetting to give you. It's got a Warn sticker on it or similar....

Oh, and I've got a stock CJ tranny floor plate in the back of the truck as well...

Hey....I know what that Warn stickered thing is. I wondered where it flew off to. Thanks!!!

Someone threw a stock CJ tranny floor plate in there...it may have even come with the jeep. I need to cut one hole bigger for the tcase lever, and cut another hole for the tranny, and cover one up. Then I need to get the boots that go over the shifters.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
That was the stock plate that came with the donor tub. Your original plate was hacked to a point that it really fit in with the old Jeep, but not this one.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
I have a tranny boot that should work for you and some CJ mirror parts. Did the backup switch fit ? or do I need to look deeper into the parts pile?

I have a tranny boot that should work for you and some CJ mirror parts. Did the backup switch fit ? or do I need to look deeper into the parts pile?

The backup switch was perfect!

I could use some CJ mirror parts and tranny boot, thanks!

Also looking for hood latches.

Also looking for the lights that fit into the TJ side marker lights...dealer item?

Looking forward to picking up the jeep today from the muffler shop!!!

It seemed like it had a high idle...I'll know more when I hook up the tach.

[SIZE=-1]More relay wiring happened today. Russ cleaned up the fan wiring and started running the control wires in the loom and through the firewall. Thanks Russ!!![/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Ladder bar link got replaced (I had a spare)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Tail lights and trailer harness installed and partially working...they don't blink (yet?)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Side marker lights and pigtail installed, not connected.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Rear seat pivot brackets procured from LHM Jeep (Thanks Josh!!!)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Rear seat catch brackets fabbed.[/SIZE]

Middle row seat belts installed by Ted. Thanks Ted!!!

[SIZE=-1]Manual temp gauge installed (CJ one no worky)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Manual oil guage sought...(CJ one no worky) 2" chrome with black background[/SIZE]

I bought some cool gauges from Terry Howe...I wish I could find them.

[SIZE=-1]D44 external drive flanges sought[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Toyota underdash ebrake assembly sought[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Battery charged.[/SIZE]

Last edited: