DSC03727.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC03728.jpg
    DSC03728.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC03732.jpg
    DSC03732.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 8
Best shocks and somewhat local place to buy them?

Front 26.5" extended, 16" collapsed
Rear 23" extended, 14" collapsed

Carl Plus hooked me up on some Doetsch Tech shocks, and the rear ones are installed (didn't have bolts for the front)

We had a productive afternoon at Ian's. DaveB gave me quite a few items from the list, including more seatbelts, a light switch, reverse switch, and an XJ steering wheel (yes I do need the little plastic horn thing that goes in the hole). Thanks DaveB!!! Josh (my 16yo) installed the bodymounts and prepped the cage for paint, helped with the shocks and watched Ian weld the body mounts that go on the bumper.

To be done:
  1. Redo 3A fuse in fuse panel - DONE
  2. Finish drill 1/2" holes in bumper - DONE
  3. rough mount bumper, tach body tabs - DONE
  4. weld body tabs on rear bumper - DONE
  5. investigate leaking thermostat housing and weird white foam
  6. Fill clutch fluid
  7. Fill and bleed brakes
  8. gap and install plugs - DONE but found a bad plug wire
  9. correct the plug wire order - DONE
  10. install rear bumper - PAINTED
  11. install winch - PARTIAL
  12. loose mount body mounts - DONE
  13. Route wires to backup switch - PARTIAL
  14. Route wires to tach - PARTIAL
  15. Remount computer - DONE
  16. Remount dash - DONE
  17. bump starter - DONE...it turned over nicely
  18. Relays - PARTIAL (lookin' sweet)
  19. Finish tail lights
  20. Finish fuel pump wiring - DONE
  21. Run tank gauge - DONE
  22. refill clutch master cylinder swear buy yet another all new set of components, swear some more, scream, yell, jump up and down
  23. Start jeep
  24. install cage CAGE IS PAINTED!!!!!!! WILL INSTALL TOMORROW
  25. tighten body mounts - TOMORROW
  26. install rear seat brackets
  27. install seats - FRONT TOMORROW
  28. install seat belts
  29. rough mount subwoofer OOPS FORGOT TO MEASURE AGAIN
  30. get exhaust installed
  31. get inspection
  32. install console/amp/tunes/speakers
  33. install top
  34. refill brand new clutch master cyl again...

Last edited:
Great to see it coming along Brett :cool:, you're lucky to have such top notch pals :cool:

Amen to that!!! A lucky man am I!:):):)

We are SOOO freakin' glad we were able to get all that stuff painted last night, dried, and installed today before the storm hit. First thing this morning, Ian, Russ, son Josh, and I rolled lifted the 800lb cage up and in the body. Then Josh and I started lining up holes. Some were right on, some didn't even exist. A few minutes with a drill and we had some matched up holes.

About then, BC and Becky came by with the pigtails for the tailights and an air tank. Thanks!!!!! I also have two of those air compressors from whatever luxury car (Lincoln? Cadillac?) and a pressure switch. I'll have enough onboard air to air up a tire...on a honda.

Becky and Tammi started talking Harleys, and we heard all the funny stories of Tammi having to give Ian a ride back after too much fun each day at Sturgis.

So now the cage is painted, in, and bolted up. Rear bumper and tow hooks are in. Body mounts are tight. Front seats are in. Steering brace attached to frame. Everything takes 2-3 hours longer than it should. Including the gymnastics meet I had to attend in the middle of the afternoon!!! AAARRGGG!!!

Russ worked a little more magic on the relays and wiring. Mega task to go through all the fans and make sure they were turning the correct way, pushing or pulling.

I really had a goal of making it run today.:sick: Maybe tomorrow...;)

Fans are wired, except for the toggles. I need to buy some diodes. Tach and heater are wired. Backup switch installed on tranny and wired. I need to make a plate for the toggle switches and install it tomorrow. It's really weird to take the time to do stuff right, but it feels kind of good.

There are relays for the following:
  1. Puller fans and oil cooler fan (run + diode or toggle)
  2. pusher fans and aux cooler fan (thermo: run+diode or toggle)
  3. subwoofer amp (acc) (or toggle?)
  4. driving lights (toggle)
  5. rock lights (toggle)
  6. backup light (reverse or toggle)
  7. CB/Ham (toggle) (I may have to add filters to this circuit)
  8. Air Compressor (toggle + pressure switch)
I might include the stereo with the amp and add a toggle so that the key is not required to listen to tunes.

As I was leaving, Ian crawled up in the back and started thinking about the rear seat brackets. The hinges are on order from Josh at LHM Jeep, but the side brackets are no longer made. We were thinking of making our own when I got the high drama phone call and had to leave.

I hope there's room to route the exhaust. It almost looks like they will have to come under the oilpan, combine, go down the pass side, cross behind the t-case and exit on the driver side. Right now it looks like I'll put an Aero muffler on it, not sure where I'll have it done. It'd be nice to get it inspected at the same time.

That reminds me...gotta do the ebrake cable too. Rats! That's gonna suck.

Gonna use some PTO tomorrow and get it a little closer.

Priority: Bleed brakes, install seatbelts, finish priority wiring, temp gauge, thermostat. Scope out ebrake needs.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Not to point out the obvious, but wouldn't starting the thing belong in that priority list somewhere??? :D

Oh, we still are waiting for the photos of a tanked up Ian riding Beotch as well.....:eek:

Not to point out the obvious, but wouldn't starting the thing belong in that priority list somewhere??? :D

Oh, we still are waiting for the photos of a tanked up Ian riding Beotch as well.....:eek:

Starting it is VERY high on the priority list...

That's all I've been thinking about this morning; what I need to do to make it fire.

After a quick check of the thermostat housing, put on #5 plug wire, chock the wheels, squirt some starter fluid and turn the key. See if it will at least cough a little. There's no gas in the tank. Dunno about a gas cap either. I'd feel a lot better about rolling it out to fill it up.

I do need to remove and reseal the thermostat housing though.

Last edited:

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
This just in, dateline Draper, Utah...........

Just got a text from Brett, that stated simply:

IT STARTED!

That is all. We'll break into your locally scheduled programing as more details become available. :D

finally!!!! congrats! now who did your front bumper? and would they build me one for my cj7?

Bumper? That would be Russ...

SAMI said:

ya buddy!

Bart said:
Clap clap clap clap clap clap clap

Clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap

RedJeep said:
It ran like a big old loud Booger. As long as I was spraying starting fliud into the Carb. Then when it stopped, we heard a glug, blurp, glug, and oil exploded all over the floor. After some investigation we determined that the Oil sending unit hose(for a mechanical oil pressure guage) was broken off. Thus it had oil pressure too. So we are getting closer.
Ian

It ran on starter fluid...so we still need to get gas in it to make sure it *really* works. I had to use Ian's dremel tool to cut the oil fitting off, and I picked up a plug tonight.

I bled the brakes...and true to form on this project it just couldn't be that simple. The front calipers were on the wrong sides, and I messed with the brakes lines a little too while I had them all apart. Filled the clutch fluid too. Filled the power steering fluid...and soon saw that all the hyd ram fittings were loose. Red fluid everywhere!

ALERT! ALERT! I am missing the bracket that supports the steering column bracket from the 2 bolts at the top of the dash. So...if anyone has a CJ dash/steering column/brake assembly, I'm lookin' for parts.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
ALERT! ALERT! I am missing the bracket that supports the steering column bracket from the 2 bolts at the top of the dash. So...if anyone has a CJ dash/steering column/brake assembly, I'm lookin' for parts.[/QUOTE]

If you mean the u shaped bracket that goes around the column and bolts to the two brake pedal bracket bolts, I have several from xjs and wagoneers. I believe they will work on CJs too.