Extreme Scrambler Makeover

We hauled the Green to Ian's shop last weekend and got back to work with the tubing bender.

We grabbed the sound bar and measured a few times to get the width right. Then we argued, discussed, measured, discussed, brainstormed and argued some more. Then I called EZ cuz he has the same top as me (or I have the same top as him) to learn from his mistakes. Good thing I did...the cage would have been way too high.

Oh, by the way, the back part of the cage is a blatent ripoff of the sweet cage in Leroy (EZ's Scrambler). The front part is set so that the sound bar can mount up next to the main hoop. BC painstakingly threaded string through and pulled the speaker wires through the main hoop last spring.

I suppose while it's tacked in place I should install the top and supports just to make sure...

Russ worked his magic and the bars turned out the right way the first time. While I coped the cage ends with the grinder, Russ worked on the "wingy thingy's" for the outside of the front bumper. Then he took them home to finish the ends.

Josh and I went over tonight to get some spreaders ready for welding this weekend, while Ian worked on his trailer. It was only Josh's second time with a grinder but he took to it like a pro. (the first time was a few pages back when we were prepping the bare frame) I snapped a couple pics for posterity.

Attachments

• P1020189.JPG
    P1020189.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 25
  • P1020190.JPG
    P1020190.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 28
  • P1020199.JPG
    P1020199.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 29
  • P1020208.JPG
    P1020208.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 22
  • P1020209.JPG
    P1020209.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 16
  • P1020207.JPG
    P1020207.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 29
  • P1020205.JPG
    P1020205.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 46
  • P1020204.JPG
    P1020204.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 28
  • P1020211.JPG
    P1020211.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Front bumper is tacked up. Next is the tow hook mounts and all the reinforcement of the front hangers.

I'm also wondering about the open halo in the back. There will be a sound bar just behind the main hoop. Ian explains the rest:

RedJeep said:
Ian says: Russ take a look at what you get to bend next. Brett spent about an hour sitting in his Joop to come up with this the other night. The yellow straps is where the Bar will go.

The idea with the Y bar is to provide some more protection to the kids heads, in the event of a rollover and a big round rock or bolder wants to come in the top of the Halo. The y design is to help keep the bar out of the way so bouncing kids won't smack heads as easily.
This is Brett's Rodeo, I'm just along for the ride.
Ian

Attachments

• DSC03591.JPG
    DSC03591.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC03595.JPG
    DSC03595.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC03599.JPG
    DSC03599.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC03613.jpg
    DSC03613.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Thanks!

It is 2"...the plan was to use 1.5" but we had 2" on hand and as it turns out, I really like it. Kind of fun and cartoony but not in an 80's kind of way.

I like it... I'm planning to buy a 2" die, while it looks cartoonish on smaller builds, I think its fitting on vintage rigs. Can't wait to see it out on the trail. We'll have to do a trail hug in the Swell when your done :cool:

EDIT: Russ better be there too!

I like it... I'm planning to buy a 2" die, while it looks cartoonish on smaller builds, I think its fitting on vintage rigs. Can't wait to see it out on the trail. We'll have to do a trail hug in the Swell when your done :cool:

EDIT: Russ better be there too!

Amen on the Swell trail hug...REALLY looking forward to trips down there.

Russ and I went over yesterday. Russ made some sweet tow hook mounts that he will box into the spring mounts. Ian tacked them up and Russ made patterns from cardboard to take home and cut out. I followed brake lines to see what was left. Milner did an awesome job mounting the valve and running the lines.

Ian had some sweet steel from a bed frame that I used to make the little mounts for the front brake hoses. Ian made some sweet metal puddles to glue them to the bottom of the shock mounts. I need to get the clips for the hoses.

Russ has the relay layout, that will be the next install, along with hooking up the actual fuel pump and lights. I wanna wire the fuel pump on with the key, and then wire it so that the only thing that is powered by turning the key back is the stereo. Ham and CB will be through a relay or direct, no key required.

I need a powersteering fluid cooler. I used an RV tranny cooler on the Freak, but I'm all out of room in front of and behind the radiator. I need to find another location. There is an oil cooler under the brake booster, and an aux radiator under the battery, so those places are taken. There's plenty of room between the distributor and the firewall (#&^%@#) so maybe I'll put it there.

I sat in the jeep and pondered the rear cage for a while. I was thinking about putting a sexy curved "Y" bar across the rear halo to make the open area smaller (see the post above) and then I was thinking just a bar and now I'm thinking to just leave it open. Thoughts?

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Let me know where you find those brake hose clips. Checker says they don't carry them, even though I found a part number on their web site.

The project is comin'! Got a little done yesterday, today was a sick day for Russ, Ian, and my whole family. I spent it downstairs installing light switches. Stupid special order double 3-way switches had a break tab I was supposed to remove to use them on separate circuits, I got shocked about 7 times and removed them and took one apart before I figure out the problem. My buddy dropped off two 6-packs of a top secret new blend for Ian. My wife put the bottles on the floor in the pantry...luckily I saw them and put them out to chill in the garage.

Back to the jeep...Bart taunted me at lunch yesterday that his buggy would be done before teh Green...so last night I got the Tacoma bracket installed and the map sensor installed. Bought a power steering cooler (tranny cooler for compact car) and installed it under the winch plate. Not a lot of air flow there, but I figure it will still dissipate quite a bit of heat.

Lined up the final location and drilled the holes for the winch plate. Bent up the pass brake line to fit the new brackets. Bought a longer line for the driver side tonight. Still need the clips from Kurt.

I noticed that the oil cooler is loose and needs a mount made. Still need to do the relays and run the wires to the tail lights. Cage and bumper is tacked...needs to be welded. Russ has the bracing for the front spring mounts and bumper tie ins.

Mbryson has the rear bumper and rack. I think I found the high dollar bolts I bought for all that. I guess we still need to figure out how to mount the rack to the tire carrier and tie in to the cage. Actually, EZ and I thought it out a while back...come off the cage on the passenger side, sandwich through the body (just inside the tail light) and make an upper hinge mount. Run a tube down to the lower hinge mount.

I'd like to get it fired up soon so I can go get an exhaust on it...and find out how hot it runs...and if I need an alternator upgrade...

Hopefully we can get the cage propped up on Saturday and weld it up.

Last edited:
I plan to work on it tomorrow and Saturday.

To do list:
Install brake line (see above post)
I need to find a return line from the steering box (again...I lost the first two). Hopefully I can get that plumbed (and ready to flush), the PS needs to be flushed because some grindage got in there (YUCK).
Get the brake lines bled,
Hook the fuel pump up,
Check the engine and fire it.
Also prop up the cage and get it welded up.
Find the bottom halves of all the body mounts, find some bodymount bolts.
Mount and wire up the relays.

Last edited:

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
I plan to work on it tomorrow and Saturday.

To do list:
Install brake line (see above post)
I need to find a return line from the steering box (again...I lost the first two). Hopefully I can get that plumbed (and ready to flush), the PS needs to be flushed because some grindage got in there (YUCK).
Get the brake lines bled,
Hook the fuel pump up,
Check the engine and fire it.
Also prop up the cage and get it welded up.
Find the bottom halves of all the body mounts, find some bodymount bolts.
Mount and wire up the relays.

I have some power steering lines from assorted rigs, how long does it need to be and what size of fittings ? I'm off work today and Saturday so I could drop one by and even help out if you could use another set of hands. I also have some of the brake line clips and body mounts if you still need some.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Don't under estimate how hard that cage is going to be to lift out of there, you're going to need a few bodies (as we found out the hard way).

Bart

Don't under estimate how hard that cage is going to be to lift out of there, you're going to need a few bodies (as we found out the hard way).

Amen to that brutha. 2 or 3 ratchet straps to pinch the legs together will come in handy also. You might want to plan on rattle canning it or at least the bottom part while it's propped up.