Extreme Scrambler Makeover

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Not wider...I'd like to get rims with less offset to pull the tires back under the fenders. With a 60 in the future, and high-steer knuckles, I'd think a 17x10 rim could have more backspacing. Isn't that what MarcB has on his?

There's a limit to what how much backspacing you can get away with before you hit the tie-rod arm. But if you use those offset hi-steer arms that clear H1 rims, you could chop that arm off and probably end up golden. ;)

On 44/10bolts, the limit is about 3.75".

Badger

I am the Brute squad
Why a 10" wide rim? Going to a 9" wide or 8" wide immediately gets you 2-4" narrower than the same offset rims in a 10" wide size.

Just a thought. :)

For reference, I was around 82" wide outside-outside with a full-width GM D60 and 17x9 steel rims and 12.50 tires. Those rims were probably around 5.5" backspacing--dunno exactly, I put them as far in as I could and still clear the brakes.

did the same thing with 13.5 wide tires and i was around 83 or 82 and i had 5.5 of back spacing.which is factory for most of the older 1 tons

Why a 10" wide rim? Going to a 9" wide or 8" wide immediately gets you 2-4" narrower than the same offset rims in a 10" wide size.

For reference, I was around 82" wide outside-outside with a full-width GM D60 and 17x9 steel rims and 12.50 tires. Those rims were probably around 5.5" backspacing--dunno exactly, I put them as far in as I could and still clear the brakes.

Well...that would work. I've got 8" rims now with 12.50 tires. I'm at 83". I want to go to a fatter tire for the snow. I love the 12.50 SX's, but they sink in where the 14.50's that I used to have would stay on top.

What tires do all the cool kids run these days? (knowing that I really like the SX's but they don't make the 38 in a 17" rim) I want to be in the 38-40" range. (my 38's are actually 37"). I'd probably want a 15x39.5 but that would need a 10 rim too. I see the new 40" creepy crawler will fit a 17" rim.

There's a limit to what how much backspacing you can get away with before you hit the tie-rod arm. But if you use those offset hi-steer arms that clear H1 rims, you could chop that arm off and probably end up golden. ;)

On 44/10bolts, the limit is about 3.75".

Yup...my 44 has about 3 nanoinches of clearance between the tie-rod arm and the tire. We thought about running Marc's H1 rims a couple years ago until we noticed that little fact.

That would be great!

I hope to, it's up to Russ. Was planning on Saturday. (or *gasp* tomorrow morning?) Dunno about Friday, Lori has plans for me in the morning, though it won't be as crazy as last year. I'm just not all that excited about buying _stuff_. I'll be in the office mid-day...though I could be persuaded otherwise after my 13 hour day yesterday. Hmmm, come to think about it, Friday might be good.

I'd like to get the front done along with the winch mount (easy cut/weld/drill) and get started on the cage. Maybe the relays too.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee

i'll throw a vote for 8-9" wide wheels.. especially 17's.. :cool: they just look so damn good

Planning to work on the cage this Saturday. Being jeepless is starting to drive me nuts.

I picked up a gray YJ back seat to match my other one...just I need some brackets to mount it. I also need seat belts - 4 sets...anyone?

(for those of you who have seen the sammy thread: yes, I'll be working on the basement too this week and Sat...and Sun...and Mon...Merry Freakin' Christmas!)

Hauled the Green to Ian's today and got busy bending with Russ and Ian. Got the rear halo bent and notched. Got the legs cut and bent (is there a proper name for those?) Also got the pieces cut and bent to finish the front bumper, which is quite sexy. Woohooo!

Forgot to take Tacoma's bracket over there to see if it fit...I'll take it tomorrow.

Thanks all!
Brett

There's not going to be any public land left to wheel on by the time you're done.

Sure seems that way at times. It's getting closer. Gotta get it done, I'm way too tempted to go buy a new JK. Working on it for the last couple days has made me excited about it again.

Working on it in Ian's shop was SO nice. It had me walking around my back yard with a tape measure...

Yes, Ian does have a nice shop. I was thinking more about how fast we're losing access, not really commenting on how slowly your project is going. Hope you can get it done before EJS. You need to get your buddy EZ to get his scrambler out on the trail again.

Bart

Wish I could have made it to Ian's shop this weekend also, but it just couldn't happen. I'm trying to get the LTJ ready to deliver by the end of the month. It's getting close.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Hey Brett, while cleaning out the garage Saturday, I found a pigtail for your tail lights. Do you still need to hook those up?

So Bart, you gonna spill the beans? Where's the Heep headed?