Extreme Scrambler Makeover

Ram removed, installed and hoses removed to get shortened. (yikes, was gonna do that during lunch)

Heater, block and new aux cooler flushed. SCARY the stuff that came out. Glad we did it. Found a heat sensor that was missing (need to stop at NAPA). Fuel line complete. Brake lines almost complete but parts bought. Coolant drained. More next Saturday while you all are in Price...

Rock Ram hoses are shortened.

Top has arrived (or did I mention that already?)

Rats, I was at checker today (to buy a powerjoke alternator) and forgot to get the temp sensor. I suppose I'll need an O2 sensor too.

I still can't find the correct looking MAP sensor. I have the one that NAPA says fits an '89 454, but the configuration is all wrong, it won't mount to the bracket.

Does anyone have an '89 454 I can look at?

Today's progress report:

After Meeting Russ and retrieving a dented silver truck from certain peril (porta-winches are kewl), I stopped to pick up a temp sensor...but I didn't know if it was for the computer or the gauge so I didn't get it. (it was for the gauge). A little while later, we were pulling the tarp off the Green and hooking up the battery charger to top off the optima.

I tried to drain the oil, but it was empty. I replaced the filter. (Rats, I never changed the plugs.) Russ found a plug for the missing temp sensor. I filled the coolant. Russ started on the fuel pump wiring.

Then I noticed 2 wires near the firewall that are supposed to mount to each other on the firewall and be hot. Luckily the silver truck was a GM and had the little bracket to donate. Russ had some cool little 1/4" bolt inserts rather than sheet metal screws. Those bad boys could hold the engine in if needed. My cordless died, so the Old Milwaukee came to the rescue. (nothing is easy)

While I was mounting the bracket, I noticed that the power steering pump had no hoses connected to it.:rolleyes: The hoses from the freak are somewhere...but weren't with us today. Silver truck to the rescue again! Even though it didn't have the engine in it, it still had the pump and steering box. The high pressure hose mounted fine to the Todd Adams ported YJ box, but wouldn't fit the 454 pump. Luckily the deal from the back of the silver truck's pump (where the hose came from) fit in the 454 pump, and with a little bending it fit. I destroyed the return hose fitting, so I'll have to pick one up this week. I also installed the shortened hoses for the rock ram.

It doesn't have a PS cooler. I ran a cooler on the return hose on the freak...will I need one on this, since it has the rock ram?

Going back to standard time will put the suck on evening work parties, but I guess that's what coveralls and lights are for. And Saturdays.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
It doesn't have a PS cooler. I ran a cooler on the return hose on the freak...will I need one on this, since it has the rock ram?

Never hurts to have a cooler. May as well throw one on, as long as you're plumbing.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
well, here's the pic I snapped, and I'm hoping that I got the right sensor!

Not the greatest shot of the bracket itself, but you can surmise how it mounts I'd imagine. I may have an extra, but I havent' had a chance to look.

DSC01544 (Medium).jpg

well, here's the pic I snapped, and I'm hoping that I got the right sensor!

Not the greatest shot of the bracket itself, but you can surmise how it mounts I'd imagine. I may have an extra, but I havent' had a chance to look.

View attachment 30559

Wow, that's the sensor I have...and that's what the bottom of the mount looks like. I don't get what holds the sensor on the mount though. Crazy glue? It looks like there is a thin piece between the sensor and the bracket that is mounted to the engine.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
ahhh

I'll get you a pic of that too. I replaced that sensor so you'd think I might remember... but I don't.

Ok, just went out and looked at the 91 454, it has a different bracket that mounts the sensor horizontally , and it has a plastic bracket w/push tabs mounted to the steel bracket, so the sensor snaps on to it.

If you need it I can part with it.

EDIT: I'm going to make sure the plastic snap bracket is the same on both engines. Pics around lunchtime.

ahhh

I'll get you a pic of that too. I replaced that sensor so you'd think I might remember... but I don't.

Ok, just went out and looked at the 91 454, it has a different bracket that mounts the sensor horizontally , and it has a plastic bracket w/push tabs mounted to the steel bracket, so the sensor snaps on to it.

If you need it I can part with it.

EDIT: I'm going to make sure the plastic snap bracket is the same on both engines. Pics around lunchtime.

I think mine needs to mount vertically, like in your picture...that's how the tubes and wires come in to it.

We got jiggy with the bender today, and started on the front bumper and winch mount. HOORAY!!!

mbryson showed up, then we went to the shed to get some steel, then went to his house and looked at his junk (and my rear bumper), then back to the Green. Then he showed up again and I left.

Attachments

• P1010893s.JPG
    P1010893s.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 22
  • P1010894s.JPG
    P1010894s.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 24
  • P1010896s.JPG
    P1010896s.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 37
  • P1010897s.JPG
    P1010897s.JPG