Extreme Scrambler Makeover

Wow things looking better and better, does the FSII sit higher than the FSI?

It sure looks like it sits higher...but the rear suspension/axle/tires are the same. The front might sit a little higher though. Once the winch, bumpers, cage, seats and spare are on it may all sit a little lower...but not much. Maybe it's cuz it's so bright! It sat pretty high before but I guess we were just used to it.

Didn't get aanything done this weekend, though Russ is having some battery trays made for both FS2 and Barney.

I checked out where the rock ram will go...and it looks like the stock steering stabilizer mount will have to go.

Brett

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
It probably sits higher because the body mounts aren't rotted out and parts aren't hanging off. I stopped off Friday afternoon after a parts run to lend a hand but no one was there.

2 Saturdays later, we're inching closer. I don't even remember what I did last Sat. This Sat, Marc B, Russ and I hooked up various enginal wires and stuff. We pulled the gas tank and I took it over to have the filler neck modified, rather than dick with hose adapters and stuff. Plus, it saved us from having to lift up the body to attach the hoses.

We're closer to getting it to fire. When the gas tank is in, we'll mount and wire the pump. We couldn't find the throttle linkage, so Marc scabbed one out of the blob, but it's frayed pretty bad.

We still need to finish the brake lines. I'm gonna pick up a new tee for the rear axle.

Russ "the mad scientist" Fullmer fabbed up some sweet mounts for the aux radiator, it should fit right under the triple-wide battery tray (inside joke).

I managed to hook up the heater controls before I left for the day.

Brett

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
It's actually quite short. An 80's Chevy truck version works quite well.

OK I'll compare the one on my 85 Chevy to the jeep ones I have and see if they would work. I know the jeep ones will work with a stock scrambler pedal and firewall mount, its the carb connection I need to check out.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
OK I'll compare the one on my 85 Chevy to the jeep ones I have and see if they would work. I know the jeep ones will work with a stock scrambler pedal and firewall mount, its the carb connection I need to check out.

Yeah, your '85 is EXACTLY the one that fits. (I think the truck I stole it from was an '86?)

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Yeah, your '85 is EXACTLY the one that fits. (I think the truck I stole it from was an '86?)

I took a quick look and I found several cherokee cables and what I think is my original Scrambler cable. The jeep cable ends snap onto a ball and my 85 Chev loops around a straight post. So unless you can change the post on the carb the jeep ones won't hook up. I'll dig a bit deeper and see if I have any chevy ones.

Cool, thanks! And thanks Marc for replying, the stupid smap filter at work hide the reply notice. :rolleyes:

The tank is done, so I'll pick it up and take it over tomorrow.

I think my old cable had the ball, and it hooked up to the quadrajet. The TBI has the straight post I guess.

I need to remember to get the map sensor and the rear axle brake tee. I swear I have the map sensor at home...

Dave,

Thanks for checking on this. My TBI has the post, so it sounds like we'll need the chevy style.

I stopped and looked at EZ's jeep tonight...is the map thingy thin?

I also noticed that the seats are tilted back more than I was thinking they needed to be...and I'm glad I checked, it would have driven me nuts.

I got some work done on the seat mounts tonight, I'll be back there tomorrow for a few hours, hopefully I'll get the seats mounted.

Gotta put the gas tank back in, with the hoses and wires hooked up.

Then I'll turn my attention to the rear brakes...I'll pick up the rear axle brake hose from NAPA in the morning, so I'll get that installed. I think there are a couple more flare connections to make before the brake lines are done.

Oh ya, I need to figure out where the fuel pump power comes from...anyone??? Does it come out of one of the engine looms? Computer? Other?

Last edited:
[SIZE=-1]Update: I installed the gas tank once, installed the fuel pump twice (at least) and installed the fill hose several times...what should have taken 15 minutes took about 3 hours. :rolleyes:

I also cut off the rest of the mounts to make way for the seat mounts.

NAPA lost my rear axle brake hose, so they ordered another one.

The oil pressure sending unit got reinstalled and wires plugged in.

There are two places on the tank to attach the return line. One is at the sender, the other is also on the top, over near the corner. Which to use?

[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] I guess [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]I need to find a wiring diagram for an '89 burb to see where the fuel pump wiring comes from. Marc thought it was a 3 prong plug, but Joe thinks that was an unused tranny plug.

Lots more ahead...

Brett
[/SIZE]