Extreme Scrambler Makeover

Bolt and Nut rocks. They had some weird hardware I needed for a drafting table.

I was really impressed, and Carl is right, it wasn't nearly as much as I thought it would be.

I picked up the bolts, installed them, and got the drivetrain all ready to go together. Clutch, bolts, new throwout bearing, flywheel, torque specs, etc, etc. Russ and I game planned the motor and tranny mounts...Maybe tomorrow will be the day!!!

Here's some pics from the weekend, scraped out of the guts of Russ' camera. I need to get pics of the rolling chassis...it's STOUT!

Attachments

• front axle.jpg
    front axle.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 53
  • rear axle.JPG
    rear axle.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 56
  • drivetrain painted1.jpg
    drivetrain painted1.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 52
  • frame.jpg
    frame.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 50
The engine/tranny/tcase is sitting roughly in place. Mounts are on the engine. Tcase mount is cut. We'll nail down the exact location today and cut/weld the tubing to attach to the frame mounts. The front mount will be like the sketch attached earlier, the rear will be the center portion of the GM mount with tubage running to the frame. It should look pretty sweet and be stout.

I'll be there (work permitting) from 1 to late today, and 1 to late on Friday, all day Saturday, most of the day Sunday. Muffler shop on Tues?

If we can get the mounts on today, I'll hook up driveshafts, steering box and everything else connected to the engine. I'll install the tank & rear bumper. I'd like to start running brake lines & fuel lines too by tomorrow night.

The goal is to get the body on this Saturday. We need bodies, there will be a TON of stuff to hook up and make work, plus cage work, front bumper, ram assist, winch mount, cooling, fab a shroud, mount oil and PS coolers, seats, belts, fuel, brakes, etc. Lots of grinding, cutting, drilling, bolting, etc etc etc.

Attachments

• rolling frame.JPG
    rolling frame.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 38
  • rolling frame front.jpg
    rolling frame front.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 40
  • rolling frame rear.JPG
    rolling frame rear.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 454 mockup2 med.JPG
    454 mockup2 med.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 59

JeeperG

That things lookin sweet Brett. Good job guys.

FS2DdayMarch312007012.jpg

FS2DdayMarch312007017.jpg

It's coming along for sure.

Quite a few showed up on Saturday. In addition to BC, Marc Bryson and Russ in the pics, Marc Milner, Scoutabout Jackson, Rollover Bill and Big Sarge came by and lent a hand for as much time as they could spare.:):):) Rollover was on his way to Moab!!!

I goofed on the engine placement, so no mechanical fan for me.:sick: And no, a Taurus fan won't fit, it's 5", the mechanical fan needs only 3.5". I bought a bunch of those Hayden fans from Checker, and I'll have a little over 4000 CFM total. The Taurus fan puts out 2500 on low, 4500 on high (or so I've read).

I thought I had the engine back far enough but it turns out the jeep this was in earlier had the radiator shoved way forward in the grill. Oh well.

It seems a lot higher than the original freak, but we didn't change anything in the rear suspension so it should be about the same.

Brett

What's the game plan for this weekend?

I'll be there from around noon on...I've got a committment in the morning.

Here's the list that Russ made:

front bumper/spring perches
rear bumper
fill front diff
rock ram
fuel lines/pump
engine wiring/fire up
brake lines/move prop valve
steering colum/shaft
instal front/back shocks
install big-assed heater core and fan
mount engine oil cooler/fan
seat belts
cage install/modify
front seats
clearance floor around trans
defroster duct
e-brakes
drag link
exhaust
guages
wire taillight/trailer plug

Bart came by and installed the steering column and shaft. Tight fit, but Bart made it work! WooooHOOOO!!! Had I thought about it for even a second, I'd have moved the engine over an inch or two, but it worked out. I hooked up some of the stuff under the dash (BC had already done all the heavy lifting).

Russ and I looked at the battery tray set up, and where the aux radiator would mount. We priced some dual battery trays....but could only find the ones that were gold plated, so we're gonna make a couple (one for mine, one for Barney) Here's a pic or two...

Attachments

• April 3 2007 007 small.jpg
    April 3 2007 007 small.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 2007 April 5-8 Moab 008.jpg
    2007 April 5-8 Moab 008.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 66
  • April 14 progress 001 small.jpg
    April 14 progress 001 small.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 57
  • April 14 progress 003 small.jpg
    April 14 progress 003 small.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 48
  • April 14 progress 002 small.jpg
    April 14 progress 002 small.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

Bart

I'm just glad the torque flex on the motor will move it the other way. Don't know what reverse will do. My old motto is run it and watch it. Maybe it'll self clearance. : )

I'm just glad the torque flex on the motor will move it the other way. Don't know what reverse will do. My old motto is run it and watch it. Maybe it'll self clearance. : )

The motor spins the same way, even in reverse :D

The old mounts allowed interference on more than one occasion and it didn't cause too many problems. I don't think the new motor mounts will let it move at all.

I'll be over there tomorrow night after work, trying to get something done.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
You could try lowering the steering column a bit or even tipping the steering gear box a bit to get a bit more clearance. There may even be a different PS pump that could help out. I think I may have some in the basement from other chevys that have more clearance. I'll look to see what I can find in the basement and stop on by some evening. I will come help out as soon as I can get at least one of the broken down jeeps that I'm fixing for friends out of my garage.

You could try lowering the steering column a bit or even tipping the steering gear box a bit to get a bit more clearance. There may even be a different PS pump that could help out. I think I may have some in the basement from other chevys that have more clearance. I'll look to see what I can find in the basement and stop on by some evening. I will come help out as soon as I can get at least one of the broken down jeeps that I'm fixing for friends out of my garage.

The only potential interference is between the shaft and the exhaust manifold. I appreciate the offer on the pump, though I'm not sure how it would help. I think that the reason that it fits at all is due to Bart's lowering and adjustment of the steering column...it's that close. The uber-beefy steering box mount moves it a bit, but I don't know that it hurts it.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
[ I appreciate the offer on the pump, though I'm not sure how it would help.[/QUOTE]

It looked in the picture like the steering shaft was very close to the pump and hose connection and I thought that was where you were having clearance problems. If the shaft does hit the manifold you could use a two piece steering shaft like a TJ uses (I happen to have one you could use).

It looked in the picture like the steering shaft was very close to the pump and hose connection and I thought that was where you were having clearance problems. If the shaft does hit the manifold you could use a two piece steering shaft like a TJ uses (I happen to have one you could use).

Ah, yes, the pic does look that way. We considered the 2 piece design...and I appreciate the offer if it turns out we need it. Does it have the carrier bearing too?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Got a bit done tonight...a bunch of little things but they add up. Jason and buddy stopped by and helped with the hoses and lent a hand muscling the cage in. I was pretty happy to be in the "driver's seat"

Russ worked on the front bumper...and experimented with the long horn look...

I'll be down there on Friday and/or Saturday.

Attachments

• April 17 FS2 progress 001s.jpg
    April 17 FS2 progress 001s.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 47
  • April 17 FS2 progress 003s.jpg
    April 17 FS2 progress 003s.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 49
  • April 17 FS2 progress 005s.jpg
    April 17 FS2 progress 005s.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 69
  • April 17 FS2 progress 007s.jpg
    April 17 FS2 progress 007s.jpg