Extreme Scrambler Makeover

neagtea

Supporting Member
There was a sami at Tear a part last week as well as a couple of corn binders. I also stopped by pick and pull and they had a couple of junk CJ5's One had revolver shackles on the front for the narrow cj spring packs, The other had one piece axles in the rear Mod 20 Narrow track width, It also had some sort of locker.
Sorry to hijack Bretts thread.

[SIZE=-1]Good progress tonight (sorry, no pics of tonight's work)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]We (Russ) got the front suspension mounts 90% welded up (gonna hafta flip it over again). We (me) also got the front shackle mount pieces cut and drilled, so we (Russ) can get them welded up. Looking at it, I wish I'd have used 1/4" instead of 3/16", but with the gussets and boxing and bumper added in, it will be more than stout.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]I'm hoping that at the current rate, we can finish the front suspension on Thursday, hit the tranny & motor mounts on Friday, and maybe mount the drivetrain on Saturday.[/SIZE]

Speaking of the drivetrain...the friction disc looked a little worn. *usually*, I'd replace the pressure plate along with the disc, but it hardly seems worth it, especially considering how few actual miles are on it. Holy cow, I seem to recall that I have a lifetime warranty on the clutch assembly from Checker...I doubt I still have the receipt though, it's been AGES! (well over 10 years)

[SIZE=-1]Then it will be time for shocks, ram assist, brake lines, fuel lines, bumpers, winch, etc. Then the body. Then the cage....woooohooooo! Gonna be some late nights ahead.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]I won't be there on Weds, but I'll try and get the expanded metal cut for the cargo rack at home. The marine sub and the stereo console have been ordered. I've had the head unit for years, but finally opened the box on Sunday, and was thrilled to see it's got aux input (think mp3 player!)..[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Thanks to everyone for your help, it's gonna come together quick! And be pretty damn nice when it's done![/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Brett[/SIZE]

Attachments

• rack.jpg
    rack.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 13
  • stereoconsole.jpg
    stereoconsole.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 13
  • cmsw10.1s.jpg
    cmsw10.1s.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
I need some TJ front marker lights...anyone have any laying around?[/QUOTE]

I have a set of the square lights that go in the TJ front fenders if that is what you need.

There was some discussion as to whether or not I REALLY needed to put in new gears.

Here's what Carl found after he pulled the carrier:

Attachments

• dino 029small.jpg
    dino 029small.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 41
  • dino 032.jpg
    dino 032.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 36
  • dino 038.jpg
    dino 038.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 46
  • dino 039.jpg
    dino 039.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Pics of the front suspension as it slowly takes shape. Love those 44044's!:cool:

I'm gonna go by this afternoon and clean the tranny/tcase/axle so Marc can pick up the axle tomorrow, and so I can get the stuff painted. Marc will have the axle back on Saturday morning.

My thinking is that we can finish the suspension, tranny and motor mounts tomorrow (I'll be there from 1pm to late) and mount the drivetrain on Saturday.

Work party Friday (1pm to late) and Saturday (all day)....and all next week!!! :D

Seriously, Saturday is the BIG push, but if anyone can come by on Friday afternoon, that would ROCK!!

Attachments

• freakII 001.jpg
    freakII 001.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 28
  • freakII 002.jpg
    freakII 002.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 41
  • freakII 003.jpg
    freakII 003.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 29
  • freakII 004.jpg
    freakII 004.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
I'm out for Saturday. Mama wants to take her new Harley out, and I'm just smart enough to not say no to her.

If I can sneak out of work early, I'll plan on spending a couple hours over there on Friday. Sunday I'll get the body finished and ready for transplanting.

Cool, I guess it's all broke in now?

See you this afternoon!

I had to cut new pieces for the shackle mounts last night, so I didn't get the drivetrain or the axle cleaned as planned. First order will be cleaning of the axle so Marc can pick it up.

My 10yo spent some time on the drivetrain with the wire brush last time he was here, so I'm gonna get it out of the frame and finish cleaning it off and get it ready for paint.

Then: motor mounts and tranny mounts!!!!!!!

We'll need to flip the frame again to weld underneath, and then install the rear axle, gas tank, anything else that we can. It'd be nice to put in the rear bumper before we put the body on, MUCH easier to weld.

Last edited:

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Hey, were you ever able to dig up some hood latches? I've got the one on the radiator support working, just need the fender ties now.

Fairly productive weekend: Marc & Eric Bryson, Marc Milner, BC, Ian, & Russ showed up to work on the project.

Hood latches found! The tranny and transfer case are painted. Axles are assembled, painted and under the chassis. The ladder bar mount is modified and installed. Russ took pics, but his camera took a spill and gave up the ghost. Hopefully the memory card lived...

The heavy duty steering box mount is in (was not as easy as it should have been, there were new welds in the way).

Ian showed up yesterday with the rear bumper, lookin' sweet!!! I've attached a pic.

No motor mounts yet...I went over today to bolt the drivetrain together and at least set it in place, but instead spent the time messing with the steering box mount, partially mounted the rear bumper, installed new leaf spring bolts, etc. btw, I need some 9/16" bolts, 7 inches long. Lowes and HD don't have them...I'm thinking maybe AAA spring...any other ideas? Also, locking nuts for those.

Attachments

• rear bumper.jpg
    rear bumper.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Ace Hardware, especially the one up in Olympus Hills Mall. Ask for Lowell, he's the man. If he doesn't have them or can't get them for you he'll know where you can.

Last edited:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I need some 9/16" bolts, 7 inches long. Lowes and HD don't have them

There is only one place for that stuff....Bolt and Nut Supply. 2212 S. West Temple. (there's probably more than one place, but they're my fav)

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Thanks! That pattern sure looks good, thanks again for setting up the gears!

No prob.

If you've been buying bolts from HD or Lowe's, you'll be pleasantly surprised at how cheap hardware really is. They charge WAY too much for them at home improvement places. Only reason I ever buy from them is that they're open earlier/later/weekendier than Bolt & Nut Supply.