F16 buzzing overhead.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
It was flying over the SL valley again too. Along with it was what looked like a Coast Guard plane? Red and white? Mabey fire?

An F16 with a red/white/blue paint scheme?

Like below?
051110-F-6701P-079.jpg

iceaxe

Backroad Adventurer
At the airshow was a C46 type old cargo plane white with orange nose/tail for firefighting (smokejumpers?) set up with turbo props, folks were jumping out of it while I was waiting to get on base. It took off after the show, noticed it heading back north towards hill on the way home. probably that is what you saw Kurt.

mbryson

Supporting Member
We just got back ourselves. I've never seen an airshow before. My family LOVED it. It did rain (with hail even) right in the middle of the Thunderbirds show, but they waited 15 min or so and did the rest of the show. Awesome stuff. The F-18 was my favorite. That guy was going at the throttle hard :D

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
We just got back ourselves. I've never seen an airshow before. My family LOVED it. It did rain (with hail even) right in the middle of the Thunderbirds show, but they waited 15 min or so and did the rest of the show. Awesome stuff. The F-18 was my favorite. That guy was going at the throttle hard :D

We missed you there. The rain that shut down the Thunderbirds was crazy! The Oracle Challenger was awesome (as always).

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
We were right between the B1 Bomber and the C5 cargo plane (HOLY CRAP is that thing huge!!!)

Yeah, you could build a comfortable house inside it.

We were down by the AWACS. Much smaller crowds down there, but much further from the bathrooms.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
What time did everything happen? We were there early, then left because we were wet, cold, and the rain wasn't showing any signs of letting up very soon. We left probably around 11am.

I figured they'd get stuff going later, but we weren't really equipped to wait it out. :(

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Growing up in Alaska, we saw the T-birds all the time. We would drive on base and see them parked. They flew over our house pretty often. When the wind wasn't in its normal way, all the landings would take place over our house. Our house would always SHAKE when C-5 style planes would come over way low.

On a side note. My high school was the East High Thunderbirds, which took the name from the Native Alaskans, just like the planes did.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
What time did everything happen? We were there early, then left because we were wet, cold, and the rain wasn't showing any signs of letting up very soon. We left probably around 11am.

I figured they'd get stuff going later, but we weren't really equipped to wait it out. :(

The aerial demonstrations went from about 1 to 5, back-to-back. The sun came out and it was pretty nice for most of that time. You left too soon. We didn't get there until probably after 11, near the end of the morning rain.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
as mentioned already the show started around 11-11:30 and went til about 5... Kurt the plane you saw was a smokejumper plane that they use to drop retardant on fires...

Saturday was the big show and it went on til about 6:30 or so... alot more stuff went on and the Thunderbirds performed stuff they couldn't do today due to the clouds...

We caught the tail end after we got back from the Jeep show!!! Great job Carl!!!

from our back porch we see the planes coming and going all day everyday....

snccoulter

www.coulters-inc.com
well today was an easy day for us most people were decent and did not cause any problems we did not have a very large crowd but yesterday we had about 290,000 people on base if i ran you off the airfield this afternoon sorry but we wanted to go home also

mbryson

Supporting Member
well today was an easy day for us most people were decent and did not cause any problems we did not have a very large crowd but yesterday we had about 290,000 people on base if i ran you off the airfield this afternoon sorry but we wanted to go home also

I thought you guys showed really well! EVERY service personnel I spoke with was very cordial and would answer any questions me or my kids had (we had some gems for the F16 guys about the missles :rofl: ). I'm sure that's the point of these events, but "event staff" showed really well. (The kids are still talking about how cool the C5 was. "How many Jeeps would fit in there?" kind of stuff. :D )