Fatal Roll Near Chimney Rock Pass

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Yes. The owner said they will be bringing the keys along with another spare tire , also a spare in the vehicle.
It may start/run (who knows) and may be driven down. Wont know until we get there but hoping for the best.
Can anyone bring a jack???
Mine is too big and heavy .

What kind of jack are we talking? I'll have a high-lift but can bring something else if needed

(good work btw)

Last edited:

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I have a snatch block, but I won't be able to attend. I could pass it off to someone in the morning

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Here's a few pics. Kind of a weird place to recover from but just steep. We took it super slow and safe

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 66
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    920.2 KB · Views: 65
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 64
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 63

RogueJeepr

Here!
Here's a view from the back (braker) .
Top to bottom and on the trailer.
Big thanks to everyone that came out. RME is awesome.
4ca343fb1f344eb438ef45746ad40ec4.jpg

8ef47fe40d0a9b74030e6cab77738f3e.jpg

2844cb3eecc6b626c4752f6cb97e8b57.jpg

f1b91d5196cc2b8509efdd3684b3abb6.jpg

6ba6604f550a7805afe0a32f80fe043d.jpg

8115bb560cdf695130a0ab19babb9da5.jpg

Sent from my Z740 using Tapatalk

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
These things are so much fun. It's like a statics&dynamics class with consequences.
Kudos to all, it went so smooth.
I never would have guessed that with all four tires off the rim we would have to pull downhill on most of the way down the hill.

Last edited:

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
That worked out way slicker than it had any right too. Pleasure spending the day with you gents.

We got to the rolled truck about 1130 or so, and got right to work. We had hoped we were going to change a flat tire or two and roll it down, but this was going to be trickier than that. It was sitting upright, on four flat tires (three with busted beads), with all the fluids siphoned, the battery stolen, and the roof crushed in so far there was no way to sit in the drivers seat anyway. It was maybe 20 yards off a fairly steep road (see the pics, and then adjust for the horizon - it was steep. So after a quick conference, Mbryson set up for a straight pull to get it back to the road. We quickly changed plans to add a snatch block, and then added another rig behind him to anchor him. After Modstock pulled up next to him and added another winch to the equation it came up pretty easy. We only needed to adjust the rigging a couple times before the Explorer was on the road. Tonkaman's Tacoma was still downhill of the wrecked truck, so we strapped everybody up in a train with Tonkaman leading/pulling, and the rest of us behind braking/anchoring, while Frieed walked along side to keep an eye on everything. Other than a little fiddling with the steering wheel on the Explorer, it all went incredibly smooth. Even on the steepest parts of the descent, the rolling resistance from the four flat tires meant the Explorer was never anywhere near going out of control. We had it on the owner's flatbed just after 1400, which is when I split to go to bed.

I love RME recovery parties. Thanks for taking point, ModStock!

WP_20160530_11_28_17_Pro_zpslkh5g8a0.jpg

WP_20160530_11_44_51_Pro_zpsgtyxlrch.jpg

WP_20160530_11_57_55_Pro_zpsi14hfxyt.jpg

WP_20160530_12_10_04_Pro_zpshz7ozmd8.jpg

WP_20160530_12_23_07_Pro_zpsuqmsti5q.jpg

WP_20160530_12_36_47_Pro_zpslgjpbngy.jpg

WP_20160530_12_48_06_Pro_zpsig8xslns.jpg

WP_20160530_13_16_52_Pro_zpsl8z9avpe.jpg

A little video of our train down the side of the mountain.

http://vid1157.photobucket.com/albu...5-16/WP_20160530_13_09_55_Pro_zps1dubxfsm.mp4

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Just for perspective, here is a screen grab from Google Earth
There is a yellow circle about 1/4 down from the top and 1/3 from the right side

wreck.PNG

Last edited:

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I just realized that someone tried to roll it down into the ravine.
That picture from FB posted by Jeeper shows it up on the trail but we recovered it from well off the trail, farther down the hill, stopped by a Cedar tree.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I just realized that someone tried to roll it down into the ravine.
That picture from FB posted by Jeeper shows it up on the trail but we recovered it from well off the trail, farther down the hill, stopped by a Cedar tree.

I caught that too. Between that and the bullet holes and the stolen battery and such, I'm thinking somebody needs a punch in the throat.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
Good work guys.
I'm curious to know how the conversations with the owner went?
Was he super grateful?
Did he remind you all not to drink and drive?
Did he tell you the horror story of killing his buddy?
What's he going to do with the explorer?