Finger tip amputation! -- view with caution

rollover

Sorry to hear about your finger.

I have cut off 3 finger tips through the knuckles and sliced 50 to 75 % of 4 others like a flap. {Electric hedge trimmer and 11 years old} 3 hours with a plastic surgeon. He lost count after 600 stitches.

I'm still missing 1/3 of the same finger you smashed. Keep the nail if you can. Your finger is sensitive to touch and the nail helps protect it way more than you think. It will take a while 1-2 yrs to get past the sensitive state {nerves} but after that its a breeze. If you can keep the nail bandaged down and that will help shape it to the finger. I lost the end of my finger including the nail 3 times during recovery. Fell off like a band-aid. It now looks normal other than part of it missing.

My nail got caught for about 3 years now its like all the rest. I do keep it trimmed real close all the time though.

Wear mechanics gloves when working for sure for the first few years.

I hope it all goes well for you.

Last edited:

LT.

First, these pictures are so cool! Keep them coming if you have them. I have a fella here at work that had the end of his finger taken off while using a hydraulic wood splitter. He crushed it and all that the doctors did was remove it as well. I think he missed one or two days of work is all. Hope your recovery goes as well.

LT.

OREGON85

from OREGON
First, these pictures are so cool! Keep them coming if you have them. I have a fella here at work that had the end of his finger taken off while using a hydraulic wood splitter. He crushed it and all that the doctors did was remove it as well. I think he missed one or two days of work is all. Hope your recovery goes as well.

LT.

I missed today because I didn't know when I could go to the doctor all day and I'll miss Friday for surgery. I took a picture with my phone while I was at the doctor today, but I have no idea how to get it off. I guess I could send it as a txt message to someone if they'd be willing to email it back to me.

EDIT: never mind the txt idea, I didn't realize that having them blocked means I can't send them either.

Last edited:

bobmed

- - - -
My brother in law cut off half of his thumb with a table saw :(
My uncle cut off three fingers with a snowblower :(
I got a free table saw and snowblower ;)

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
But it might grow back somewhat okay, so that is what I'm hoping for.

Sounds like fun :-\

I smashed my big toe up about 10 years ago, nothing too major, just broke the toe and smashed the toenail. It never grew back right, it's pretty nasty. Sometimes I just wish there was no nail at all, but then again, I wear socks 99% of the time

yjkrawlerboy

Here is mine from last March. Got it caught in a roller fairlead. I had the bone removed from the last joint out. It's been a long recovery but slowly getting better. It's amazing the amount of nerves in your fingertips.

Good luck to you.

rholbrook

I missed today because I didn't know when I could go to the doctor all day and I'll miss Friday for surgery. I took a picture with my phone while I was at the doctor today, but I have no idea how to get it off. I guess I could send it as a txt message to someone if they'd be willing to email it back to me.

EDIT: never mind the txt idea, I didn't realize that having them blocked means I can't send them either.

Text it to me and I will email it back eight zero one two zero one 5891

Russ

OREGON85

from OREGON
Well, they did surgery yesterday after I waited almost three hours in a hospital gown. I had the doctor look at it before it was bandaged up. It looked pretty good. Hurts like crazy now though! I'm kind of mad at the doctor. I asked him to remove just one pin from a previous surgery that bothered me sometimes. Before he even started he noticed it was actually the plate (which can't be removed), but he still cut into and tried to remove all THREE pins! Its like he totally forgot the goal and got focused one one of the steps.

jdub

Scrambler
I smashed my big toe up about 10 years ago, nothing too major, just broke the toe and smashed the toenail. It never grew back right, it's pretty nasty. Sometimes I just wish there was no nail at all, but then again, I wear socks 99% of the time

Me and you both benjy, I kicked off my toenail and broke my toe playing soccer. My wife says that's the only thing she cant stand about me. Everyone makes me wear shoes not sandals. The only bonus is that I used to get ingrown nails on that toe, not anymore!

Darwin

GREASE MONKEY
i cut the tips of my index and middle finger off in a table saw. the middle finger was the worst, but i got the bones and nail beds on both of them. the plastic surgeon that put them back together said i'd never have finger nails again. they somehow grew back, just at a wierd angle. the fingers ended up about the same length as when i started. it took several years for them to quit throbbing when they were cold though. it was crazy painful! i hope your hand heals up well!!!

Attachments

• fingers.jpg
    fingers.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 18

utahxjer

Here's mine from just over a year ago. Was digging post holes for the fence and smashed em between the shovel handle and steel auger handle. Hurt like a bugger! Bout 5-6 stitches in each finger.