• Duramax LB7 / Allison (2wd)

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I am in the process of doing a build on a 1936 Pontiac and am putting a LS1 4l60e combo into it. I fought this battle in my head for quite awhile. A Pontiac motor would have been great, but I did not have one already and really liked the durability and dependability of the LS1.

Attachments

• IMG_0828.JPG
    IMG_0828.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 1

jamesgeologist

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Now I am definitely decided on a Pontiac 400 mated to a Tremec TKO-500 with a 36% overdrive. I have my original 350 sitting in storage and I need to know if that 350 and the 400 have the same motor mounts and dimensions to the tranny. Any gurus out there that know? Thanks!

James

Devel

Just an Outlaw....
im tellin ya go pontiac. even use that tbi system you have. heres a few pics of the stuudy and the other projects we have goin in our garage. oh and yes that is a crack in the fiberglass of the cobra. the original owner is a duma$$ and didnt know how to install a windsheild. if ur lookin for mileage buy an MG a muscle car is suppose to be just that:) oh and sorry for the crappy phone pics

Attachments

• GetAttachment.jpg
    GetAttachment.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 6
  • GetAttachment 1.jpg
    GetAttachment 1.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 6
  • GetAttachment2.jpg
    GetAttachment2.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 10
  • GetAttachment4.jpg
    GetAttachment4.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 10
  • GetAttachment3.jpg
    GetAttachment3.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 12

Devel

Just an Outlaw....
Now I am definitely decided on a Pontiac 400 mated to a Tremec TKO-500 with a 36% overdrive. I have my original 350 sitting in storage and I need to know if that 350 and the 400 have the same motor mounts and dimensions to the tranny. Any gurus out there that know? Thanks!

James

ur more than welcome to come look at ours. pm me

jamesgeologist

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
.... if ur lookin for mileage buy an MG a muscle car is suppose to be just that:) oh and sorry for the crappy phone pics

It is not that mileage is a requirement for any other reason that when I travel, I will not tolerate anything less than 300 miles per tank. If my junk gets 10mpg, then I will fit a 30 gallon tank. Since a 30 gallon tank won't fit, mileage has to increase. Standard Firebird convertibles have 18 gallon tanks, so I need slightly better than 16mpg. Honestly, from what I have been reading, 20mpg is not out of the question with a well built, well thought out motor. So, I will have my cake and eat it too. Don't need or want 500+hp/trq. And this is not a muscle car, it is a classic driving car.

jamesgeologist

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
So, I handcuffed myself this morning. I called Keisler Engineering and ordered up a brand spankin' new TKO-600 for the Bird. This bad boy comes with everything to install in the car. I optioned up for the hydrolic clutch and aside from that, the kit comes with everything in the picture. They were good to work with and I'll have a tranny ready to go in about a week. I ordered it for a BOP engine so I will force myself to build that 400 from the poll. Anyone have a Pontiac 400 sitting around? ;)

975b4f9b4a3ee29096a753df47e5b366.jpg

Gas4Blood

I worked at a hot rod shop last summer where we built a 67 GTO with a BUTLER racing 455 and that same keisler 5 speed. It turned out amazing. Those trannys are awesome. The owner got in it, drove it around the block once, almost **** his pants, then told us to sell it. What a waste of his time, but what a cool car!!!! :D

jamesgeologist

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
n1037054059_289735_2376.jpg

n1037054059_289734_8322.jpg

These are the last shots before it goes back to the media blaster today. The black primer junk comes off and in its place, an epoxy primer that will protect the car for the next 50+ years. Before that though, all the seams will be sealed with a new seam sealer product that bonds directly to the metal. Sunset Orange Metallic color will top the epoxy and cover the entire body and subframe. All the links will get gloss black as well as the axle. The coil overs will get a clear coat to protect the finish.

3231737297_29065fc9f9_b.jpg

jamesgeologist

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
This thing is a roller as of last Friday. My decision on motor and tranny are this; Tremec TKO-600 five speed with the, and here's the disappointment for those that lobbied hard for the 400, original 350-p built to 400hp. There are quite a few folks getting even higher numbers out of the stock block and I may try for those later, but for now a modest and reliable build is the ticket I punched.

n1037054059_338048_6452508.jpg

n1037054059_338049_2345509.jpg

n1037054059_342454_6095510.jpg

n1037054059_343436_1561585.jpg

jamesgeologist

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Unfortunately, the owner of the shop and his son are going through some troubles and are closing the business. So far, the car has all the body work done on the quarters. They are finishing the tail panel and it will be primed before it gets stored for about a month. I have all the remaining panels and interior pieces waiting for assembly after the shop situation gets worked out. I will get a picture or two later this afternoon. Thanks for the kinds words!

James

R

rockdog

400 horses in a 68 chicken are plenty. I think you will be glad you stuck with the original motor. Very nice looking car. Can't wait to see a picture of it when its done.

jamesgeologist

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Firechicken build part two...

Well, the bird is out of storage and has been pieced together with some filler and an occasional body part. The doors are on. The hood is on. All the gaps are 1/4" and even all the way around the car. I spent the better part of the week looking at all of my motor options and I am changing it up again. I have a '75 455 out of a Bonneville that will be the heart of the beast. The original 350 has some pricey problems to fix on the block and the 455 has none! I should see the top half of the bird in primer by the end of the month. All in all, the project is moving. Just not as quickly as I would like. If all goes well, I'll have my G-machine road ready by the beginning of summer! Now all I need is a place to park it!! Part two of this build is the garage that will house it! I have all the required permissions to start work on this and currently I am working on the engineering documents to file for a building permit! I'll drop some more pics as I scan them.

James

Attachments

• SCAN0064.jpg
    SCAN0064.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 14
  • SCAN0067.JPG
    SCAN0067.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
SWEET!! I am happier than I've ever been about this project now that you've seen the light, and have added cubic awesomeness to it. :D :D Digging the new construction as well.