full traction or rock krawler?

chadschoon

im gonna try it out ill let you no how it is t_love is my buddy and he is getting RK so we will see them side by side

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I don't know much about the FT stuff, but I've seen my share of RK stuff and i'm not afraid to say what I think.

-Solid stock arms--heavier and weaker. Nice call. :confused:
-Joints that fall apart, and if not, they wear out in 3k miles
-Their front UCA bracket is a joke
-Their mounting system for the rear 4 link on the ZJ's is rediculous.

etc. etc.

I wouldn't buy it. Or, at least I would say I wouldn't buy their ZJ/WJ kits--not that there is a big difference.

Cody

T_Love

Slightly Modified
Are you talking about the old RK kit or the gen two. And also explain how being solid stock and being heavy = weakness that doesnt add up.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
T_Love said:
Are you talking about the old RK kit or the gen two. And also explain how being solid stock and being heavy = weakness that doesnt add up.

Well, the old RK kits used to fall apart when you took them out of the driveway. I've personally seen 1 joint fall apart, and personally have only seen 1 front axle bracket assembly rip off, although there are others that have. They changed ownership and made some big promises--redesigned some kits, and now from a design stand point they have gone backwards. I'm only speaking of the ZJ kits that I've seen--but I can't imagine the TJ stuff is that much different. The ZJ guys that still run the RK kit (a vast majority of them have since gone different ways) ***** about having to swap bushings out ever 3000 miles or so on the joints.

I'm no engineer so I can't use fancy engineer jargon (kurt....) but a hollow tube has more resistance to bending because it has more surface area that has to shear. So, a solid bar is heavier, and less resistant to shear (as applied perpendicualr to the lenght of the arm as it would be as it gets slammed on a rock) therefore weaker. Obviously this is assuming the material is the same.

Cody

T_Love

Slightly Modified
Well im putting the new RK 7 inch lift on my TJ and i have heard a lot of good about it. But one thing i have noticed that no matter what lift you talk about someone will have some kind of crap to say about it. I also have no knowledge about RK on zj's. plus lifetime warantee on the RK arms.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Well, I hope it works out good for you. I would check out this site too before I drop the coin on RK..

www.claytonoffroad.com

His suspensions have placed in the top 5 in UROC east for the past couple years. Like em or hate em, those square arms hold up to some abuse.

I bet you could go down to a shop like RockLogic, or Anarchy, etc and they could build you something kick ass for about the same money.

Cody

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
chadschoon said:
what about how the top arms are already bent so that should weeken it to

yeah, but uppers don't generally land on rocks with all the vehicles weight.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I don't know what money you have to work with, but I built mine on a college kids budget and I learned 1 very valuable lesson.

There is never enough money to do it right, but you always find money to do it over again or to fix it.

do it right the first time. Trust me on that.

What about the RE long arm kit? Isnt that cheaper? (note--I havn't looked at a production kits price in years so I have no clue).

Cody

out of curiousity, lifetime warrenty is grand, but is RK's president and pit crew going to bring the helicopter in when your front axle rips off in the middle of Pritchett canyon? Is that part of the warrenty? How nice is that warrenteed control arm going to seem after you and 6 buddies spend 12 hours in 100 degree heat draggin a broken rig of the trail?

Last edited:

T_Love

Slightly Modified
So do they run all rockkrawler spings and shock but change the arms or what. Those are some pretty sweet pictures though. My buddy saw a ZJ with square arms that were all bent to heck.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Clayton used to just sell the suspensions, but due to customer demand he has put together full sysems with springs and all. I don't think there was ever a problem with RK springs, just their arms/joints/design/service/etc.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
T_Love said:
So you prefer getting one custom made from ROCK LOGIC or somewhere rather than buy a production lift

I did for my application and I'm extremely pleased. it's deffinatley worth seeing what they can do for you. If it were me, I would have something built custom around my wants/needs. If not, I would run Clayton's stuff because I've seen it get abused like hell and hold up.

Then again, Clayton's ZJ is cooler than mine so don't give him any more damn money. I did drag it's busted (blown motor) ass off the trail last year though.

Cody

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I fI was about to drop $1500-$2000 on a lift, I would take my rig to a local shop and have them do it. You would probably save some money, and learn something about how a suspension works too.