full traction or rock krawler?

jpest

Anti-Social Networking
I had the Full Traction long arm lift on my TJ. Over all the kit was a good kit. It is labor intensive to install. Alot of grinding old control arm brackets off, drilling new mounting holes through the frame.

The lower control arms are massive and it uses huge hiems on the lower control arms as well. The welds on my kit were awesome and the powder coat finish held up fine.

Downsides were there was not enough adjustability in the rear. Getting the vibes out proved to be almost impossible because I could never adjust the rear arms to get the pinion angle right. I would basically run out of threads on the arms/hiems. Plus the springs arent very impressive either. They are way soft and after a trip to Moab they sagged in the rear so bad that It threw the drive shaft angle off. So much that when driving off the trail back into town it sounded like I'd broken The ring and pinion in the rear. I had to re-adjust the angles in the rear again.

Now that I think about it this kit was a real pain but I think They have made some improvements.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
I really liked the rockkrawler kit that we had on the Hero. The Gen I was nice until the front upper broke but it was a cheasy part. The Gen II was kick ass. I really liked the design and it was super simple. The XJ rear setup Looked and worked pretty damn nice with the coilovers.

I dont have a lot of experience with various kits but I liked the rockkrawler despite breaking a Gen I kit.

T_Love

Slightly Modified
Yeah im getting the RK 7 inch gen two lift i have heard a lot of good stuff about it, and my buddy is getting the full traction and tries to tell me the one upper control arm in the front is skeechy. I guess after we both have ours we will have proof of who is better.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
but the flex is unimaginable....i bet the hero had in the area of 45" of travel. I have the video but it is over 100mb.

Ken

I'm running the RK kit now with blocks and pucks at about 11 inches or so. I like the kit overall. I just need to get a custom trackbar made up due to angles. I like the ride I do get the clunks and noises but that's what you get from the joints on bumps and stuff. It rides really well on the road except for that blasted trackbar. I did break the front axle bracket and would advise you to gusset it the hell up. I was lucky to be going 10mph or so when it happened. It flexes like crazy!!!

chadschoon

jpest said:
I had the Full Traction long arm lift on my TJ. Over all the kit was a good kit. It is labor intensive to install. Alot of grinding old control arm brackets off, drilling new mounting holes through the frame.

The lower control arms are massive and it uses huge hiems on the lower control arms as well. The welds on my kit were awesome and the powder coat finish held up fine.

Downsides were there was not enough adjustability in the rear. Getting the vibes out proved to be almost impossible because I could never adjust the rear arms to get the pinion angle right. I would basically run out of threads on the arms/hiems. Plus the springs arent very impressive either. They are way soft and after a trip to Moab they sagged in the rear so bad that It threw the drive shaft angle off. So much that when driving off the trail back into town it sounded like I'd broken The ring and pinion in the rear. I had to re-adjust the angles in the rear again.

Now that I think about it this kit was a real pain but I think They have made some improvements.

so what FT kit did you have and how old was it?

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Out of curiosity, where are you hearing all the good stuff? I'm not talking ****, but just curious---JU maybe?

Cody

T_Love

Slightly Modified
I have a couple of buddies that know people that are running the new RK lift that say it is awesome plus some people on here have had some good things to say about it. Besides if you only listen to what other people know you only know what they know, experience things for yourself, and i havent heard anything bad enough to scare me away from it

chadschoon

me or t-love have seen these lifts in action so we are curious to how they can perform so i guess we will find out when we get them on

neagtea

Supporting Member
I know a guy that pulled a tera lift off of his TJ and installed the FT 6" kit. It works good and is very heavy duty. Or you could go to rock logic and have a custom suspension done.