Getting healthier in 2020. Who's in?

4x4_Welder

I've been fighting against fatigue and general aches and pain since chemo two years ago, and especially with lymphedema causing my arm to swell somewhat randomly. I finally dug out my old 15 and 20lb weights, though, so I can start doing some curls at least and try to get back ahead of the muscle loss. I also am having carpal tunnel surgery next month so hopefully I'll get some of my dexterity back.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I broke my shoulder a few weeks ago, so I haven't been able to do much.

I'm hoping to get back to morning runs soon though. That'll at least make my dog happy

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I've been wanting to track my heart rate. It seems that a 1 hr bike peddle session gets it going pretty good... but a walk up the stairs is the same 🤷‍♂️
I'd like to get something that can track my heart rate, plus be a distance and timing device.

I don't carry my phone when on a bike or dirt bike, so an on-phone app isn't ideal.
A watch isn't super great either, as I tape and wrap my wrists when on the dirt bike.

Also, I like cheap.

I don't even know where to begin looking for the right device. Ideas?

Pile of parts

I've been wanting to track my heart rate. It seems that a 1 hr bike peddle session gets it going pretty good... but a walk up the stairs is the same 🤷‍♂️
I'd like to get something that can track my heart rate, plus be a distance and timing device.

I don't carry my phone when on a bike or dirt bike, so an on-phone app isn't ideal.
A watch isn't super great either, as I tape and wrap my wrists when on the dirt bike.

Also, I like cheap.

This just in....

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks

Also, I like cheap.

You've seen my Garmin 25 for time, distance and elevation gain. I think they go for $125. It can be used on a moto or MTB. You can get a chest strap HR monitor with watch for about $50.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
This thread has really shown me what a loser I am. I have had many ups and downs in weight and physical activity over the past 2 years but no real changes made for the better. It's amazing that it has been that long, and that no real progress has been made. It seems I can go a month or two at a time with good results, but slink right back into bad habits quickly.

I gave up on my physically demanding job about a month ago. I didn't need it's income anymore, and it's stress was more than it was worth. Another big reason was that it was hurting my body more. My desk job was more busy and took a lot of time, which made the physical job hurt my body more. Now that I have quit the physical job altogether, I can really feel the lack of motion and movement setting into my body. I haven't been able to ride a mountain bike for a couple months now also due to the weather.

getting more fit and healthy is no longer about wanting to look fit and sexy.. it's now a NEED to not become a broken old man.

But I worked until about 2am this morning.. so I'm off the the Maverik for a mountain dew as I head to another appointment this morning 🤦‍♂️

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Welcome to the club. Pro is now you get to chose what you do for exercise vs what you have to do. I've found that the more I embrace the suck, the less it sucks. Maybe I'm a sadist but I doubt it, I'm a pretty big pansy. You don't have to make life long changes. I have been ratchetting up the health curve for years. I pull up a bit, then slide back less than my improvement. I think that is a way more effective method than drastic changes that are short lived. I even believe there is a religious mantra about moderation or something:D

It will be sunny soon and you can start pedaling with me to keep me sane.

I have been watching hybrid calisthenics on FB a lot lately. Dude has a ton of really simple exercises that I have been doing more now that it's cold and crappy outside. Pushups, pullups, leg raises and body weight squats. You should check him out.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Good work! That takes a lot of effort. I've got everything back that I had lost when I started this thread. :(

I'm also wearing the same socks. Walmart for life.
It's been a long time coming for me. It all started with actually going to the Dr for the first time in years and getting bloodwork. This was the end of June. I was concerned my A1C would be high cough Baja Blast cough but those numbers were fine. My liver numbers though (ALT and AST) were significantly elevated to the point I was almost considered to have fatty liver. Which was dumb. Dr said stop taking anti-inflammatory drugs (I'm 40, I took ibuprofen a lot) and chill out on sugary, delicious beverages from heaven. So I stopped ibuprofen immediately and cut Baja consumption from 4-5 cans a day to 2 cans. I lost 8 lbs in a month and my liver numbers improved drastically. I was happy with it but decided I felt so good I wanted to keep it up so I randomly decided to try intermittent fasting in early August. Well I lost over 20 lbs in 2 months and feel better than ever. I eat from 11 AM to 7 PM most days and I'm a lot more thoughtful about what I eat. I've been pretty strict with myself, only breaking protocol maybe 3 or 4 times in 2.5 months. And 1 of those was when my neighbor brought over fresh cookies one night at like 9 and I didn't want to look like a dickhead so I ate one.

Oh and I also try to go for a 3.5 mile walk a couple times a week before work. Burning 500 calories before the day really begins obviously helps. And yes, I feel old saying I go for walks lol

TLDR intermittent fasting is surprisingly easy

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
So my wife is starting her fourth year of being a very faithful six day a week work out person. About one year ago we started paying for a personal trainer for her because she was needing additional coaching. She has been a total gangster and has made huge progress, I am very proud of her. She’s up and gone about 5:30 every morning to be able to get her 2 hours in before work.

She talked me into joining a TRX class yesterday. We were about 10-15 minutes in before we even did anything I would call taxing. So I went all out and did the hardest positions possible. I didn’t know the first part was a warm up. About 30-40 minutes in, my muscles in my legs and arms went full failure. I tried to pretend for the rest of the class, but didn’t do much.
Today I can hardly move. I want to cry. It’s worse than any sore I’ve ever had from anything else.

That’s all. Just sharing that I’m a sissy.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
So my wife is starting her fourth year of being a very faithful six day a week work out person. About one year ago we started paying for a personal trainer for her because she was needing additional coaching. She has been a total gangster and has made huge progress, I am very proud of her. She’s up and gone about 5:30 every morning to be able to get her 2 hours in before work.

She talked me into joining a TRX class yesterday. We were about 10-15 minutes in before we even did anything I would call taxing. So I went all out and did the hardest positions possible. I didn’t know the first part was a warm up. About 30-40 minutes in, my muscles in my legs and arms went full failure. I tried to pretend for the rest of the class, but didn’t do much.
Today I can hardly move. I want to cry. It’s worse than any sore I’ve ever had from anything else.

Better watch yourself, a friend of mine did a spin class after years of inactivity and ended up in the hospital for daysssss with Rhabdo

That helped me decide that only a small portion of my weight loss would be from exercise lol

Tonkaman

I’ve been super impressed with Tina’s progress and dedication. It’s pretty awesome

1969honda

Supporting Member
@jeeper My wife is very similar, she fully drank the cool-aide about 6 or 7 years ago on Tae Kwondo. She has progressed so far in strength, mobility, and flexibility that she is now an international ranked 2nd degree black belt competitor on the USA Masters Team. Our trip to Normandy last January was possible only because she had a training session and competition in Spain that required a layover in France with the team.

I like to think I'm fairly active, and in good shape being an Special Forces paratrooper chasing Green Berets around the world. Honestly though, I can't even do her warm up/stretching routines without tapping out and being totally gassed most days. She's 40, had a lumbar spinal fusion 20 years ago, and has broken her hands and feet multiple times in training and competition, then fought another 2-3 full matches of 3 rounds for 2-3 minutes each and walked away with the podium win.

Basically, women are amazing when they focus and drive towards their goals.

Also, I follow my wife around, do what I'm told, and don't talk back. She's 5'6" and easily round houses teammates 6'+, from what seems like inches away, in the blink of an eye.