Getting your bike prepped for the season? Whats on your list?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I brought my bike back to the shop so that I could tinker on it here and there. I've got some fender bags I need to permanently install and some other goodies sitting in a box waiting for install (thanks again Anarchy Motorsports). I went to start it a few weeks back (was planning to take it to KOH) and I got nothing out of the starter, I figured the battery was dead from sitting in the cold for the last few months. So tonight I had a minute before my V-tine date with the misses to plug it into the battery charger and low and behold it was 100% charged, wtf? I started tracing wires and found that I had a wire break on the actual starter button switch plug. Looks like it likely got yanked on it one of my spectacular yard-sale crashes last fall and finally came 100% disconnected. KTM uses common plug hardware so I can swing by Radio Shack and grab the connector and more importantly terminals I need for the fix. I need to clean the air filter and likely swap the fluids... Other than that... she is ready for some warmer weather and drier trails. Whats on your list?

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I need to give the YZ a good wash after last months muddy trip... but she's ready to go! Next planned trip is EJS, nut I am sure i'll take her out a few times before

Cascadia

Undecided
I also need to change the air filter and fluid on my ktm. On top of that I need to install my new handle bars I got from chance that have good grips and a good throttle tube. My throttle tube got crushed my last ride of the season and liked to rev. I also need to get me front shock guards. One of the tabs broke and likes to rub on the tire. Is annoying and my shoe lace only listed just long enough to get me back to my truck. Nothing major though. I'm ready to get out but is still a ways away.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I have a mental list for repairs during the off season. I get really bored in the Dec-Feb months so I end up going overboard on maintenance and tlc lol.

-grease the suspension linkage
-change oil/filter
-check spokes
-grease triple clamp bearings
-lube and inspect cables
-clean air filters
-service the suspension: Change fluids and seals if they leak.
-change wheel bearings
-check/adjust valves
-replace wear items (brake pads, chain/sprockets, seals, chain slider etc.
-go over everything else with a fine tooth comb.

So far the only thing left to do is register the Husqvarna and replace its rear sprocket with a steel one. I'm dying to get out for a ride especially with this crazy warm weather :chris:

Kurt, even though it didn't end up being the problem one of those "Battery Tender"s are money well spent for keeping batteries healthy in the off season.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
...Kurt, even though it didn't end up being the problem one of those "Battery Tender"s are money well spent for keeping batteries healthy in the off season.

Funny you mention it... The charger I was using is actually my new CTek system that includes a pigtail that I mounted on the bike. It has some neat features.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I don't really have a list for my bike since everything is in good working order, but I recently did a complete tear down and rebuild of a KTM 65 sx that I bought my son to start racing this year. I replaced every piece of plastic, swing arm bearings, wheel bearings, rear brakes, chain & sprockets. Most of these items were still in good working order but why not replace them while you have it apart. The last thing I want is for him to have a break down in the middle of a desert race.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
WR450- Change the oil, finish swapping the knobbies back on, after selling the supermoto parts. :(

DR650- Sell the 8 gallon tank, buy a 5 gallon tank. Add a pair of 1 gallon Rotopax containers to the Wolfman luggage racks. I need to update my build thread, I've made a few changes to the DR650 recently.

rholbrook

Nothing, its ready. Actually been really thinking hard about a new 2012 WR450. The wife gave me the go ahead. They will be here next month supposedly, cant wait to see if it will be worth getting a new one or not. I have mine set perfectly for how I ride.

Caleb

Basic maintenance (oil, air filter, etc). I also really want to do a service on my forks and replace springs in the forks and shock, I'm too fat for the stock springs that are on it now. Other than that, it's ready to ride. I'm getting antsy (as I always do this time of year). :D

rholbrook

I'm in St George right now just waiting for Friday and Saturday so I can go riding. I am down doing some work and the wife is coming down in the morning and bringing the bikes. Come down Caleb.

Caleb

I'm in St George right now just waiting for Friday and Saturday so I can go riding. I am down doing some work and the wife is coming down in the morning and bringing the bikes. Come down Caleb.

I'd love to but I have a meeting I have to be in Friday morning and we're having my boy's birthday party on Saturday.

MattL

Absolutely! I've got tons of vacation I need to use :D

:rofl: I thought you knew, yeah we finally got our kid (got home with him at the end of October), he turned two on Monday.
Congrats!

I have my bike apart. It used to much oil during the day riding.
Everything looks right but the valves were a bit tight.
Needing to head over to lindsey machine and have the head looked at.
Ill put it back together with new piston rings and new throttle cable and other bits.

Im excited to ride as well.

Last edited: