Getting your bike prepped for the season? Whats on your list?

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
Mine needs a little of everything.
  • Change all fluids.
  • Clean up wiring from previous owner.
  • Install a working speedometer/computer.
  • Replace grips, filters, rear tire.
  • Check valve clearance and fix oil seep from head area.

But mostly, I just need to finish moving back to UT and get the urgent repairs on the new house done so I can go ride!

Jared

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
My bike is 100% dialed. I probably ought plan an oil change and valve adjust after my next ride. We fired up the misses bike today, I dont think its been ridden in over a year :( She fired right to life, needs a clean filter and some fresh fuel and its ride time for her. I'm hoping she gets enough seat time in the next few months to remind her she wants a bigger bike... And that she starts saving accordingly :D

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
Just put the ATK on the hot plate. Had a blast on it in 2012 and I'm already thinking about the rides I want to do next summer. Ugh--I have a feeling its going to be a long boring winter :D

Future plans in this phase include:

-Rear wheel bearings
-Swing arm bearings
-Rear sprocket (has to be custom made if I want steel :rolleyes:)
-Chain
-Front sprocket
-Dunlop D908 Rally Raid (anyone here ran one of these?) or D606
-Rear brake pads
-Replace flush mount blinkers with something a little more visible.
-Replace rear brake light with something a LOT more visible.
-Looking at Wolfman's Raineer tank bag...

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
Is it just me or does Andre have the best reports ever?! I bought a set of Wolfman's E-12 saddle bags and I'm more than happy with them. For even more storage I'm considering Giant Loops 'great basin' for 2013 but a little short on cash at the moment :D

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/44/73/267/1453/-/35702/Wolfman-E-12-Saddle-Bags/wolfman+e-12
429775_471321182901637_1344505192_n.jpg

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Is it just me or does Andre have the best reports ever?! I bought a set of Wolfman's E-12 saddle bags and I'm more than happy with them. For even more storage I'm considering Giant Loops 'great basin' for 2013 but a little short on cash at the moment :D

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/44/73/267/1453/-/35702/Wolfman-E-12-Saddle-Bags/wolfman+e-12
429775_471321182901637_1344505192_n.jpg

Yessir, Dre has the magic on trip reports :cool: We all need to plan a trip this next season! You down on a Utah Coverse type trip on bikes?
http://www.expeditionutah.com/featured-trails/utah-converse/
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/48929-Utah-Cruiser-Expedition-2010

We could do it with a sag wagon but it would be far cooler to do it sans outside support. It would be quite the ride.

I'll have to look into the Wolfman and Giant Loop, I've seen both of them over the years but have never really been shopping.

Caleb

I have a full set of Wolfman E-12 (saddle bags, duffle bag, tank bag, front and rear fender bags) and I love them. They aren;t the largest, I think like Rot Box hinted at, looks at the giant loop for more storage that holds close and tight to the bike. I can fit enough gear in my E-12 setup for a day or two, any longer and you'll need larger bags.

As for a to-do list, for my 300 I need to replace tires, new chain, check bearings, change the air filter...not much. Quite a bit I'd like to add to it this year though :D I'm also really going to try to pick up a 4 stroke for some longer runs. I still constantly think about Greg and I's Moab-Fruita-Moab run. I'd love to more long rides like that and my 300 would be far less than ideal for that.

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
... I'm also really going to try to pick up a 4 stroke for some longer runs. I still constantly think about Greg and I's Moab-Fruita-Moab run. I'd love to more long rides like that and my 300 would be far less than ideal for that.

I was actually reading that trip report earlier today! I want to set up my WR450 (I think it's going to stick around) for longer rides like that one. I picked up a clearance Acerbis 6.6 gallon tank for it, but it's WAY overkill! Still, it would be good for riding the Kokopelli unsupported, riding the White Rim, etc.

Greg

Admin
I've been working on my KTM 690 Enduro doing some much needed maintenance and mods! The bike is getting a Uni Pod air filter, oil & filter change, upgraded clutch slave cyl (a weak point on the 690) and a repaired shifter seal, which has been slinging motor oil all over the bike by way of the chain. The bike is also getting a pair of TKC80's to make it more capable in the dirt!

It's also getting the Rally Raid fuel tanks... :greg: They will add 2.4 gallons to the stock fuel tanks 3.2 gallons... 5.5 gallons ought to get me 300+ miles per tank, which is way better than the stock capacity!

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Wait, when did you get a 690? How come I don't remember that? Love it? What year? I'm not sure I'm ready for a big bike but I've been eying them regardless. GSA's and KTM's. Th new KTM 690 Enduro R is amazing :cool: Some of the guys on my baja team have been joking about a bike trip to MX or a bike trip to AK, last time we joked was about running in the Baja 1000 :D

The misses has even OK'd the purchase... but only if I sell another vehicle first. She is going to be pretty bummed when I sell her Kawasaki 100 :D

Greg

Admin
Wait, when did you get a 690? How come I don't remember that? Love it? What year? I'm not sure I'm ready for a big bike but I've been eying them regardless. GSA's and KTM's. Th new KTM 690 Enduro R is amazing :cool: Some of the guys on my baja team have been joking about a bike trip to MX or a bike trip to AK, last time we joked was about running in the Baja 1000 :D

The misses has even OK'd the purchase... but only if I sell another vehicle first. She is going to be pretty bummed when I sell her Kawasaki 100 :D

:D I sold my DR650 mid-Summer and picked up an '08 690 Enduro right after... I guess you missed this thread? - http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?91087-New-bike-first-real-test!

I love the performance, it's a brilliant bike on and off the pavement! It's a little portly on rough trails, but the performance is worth the trade off. The bike itself is quite complex and not too fun to work on... parts are expensive and they have their issues. Mine has been dead reliable though, but I haven't spent enough time on it to say it's perfect.

I don't know that a 690 is the bike for a huge AK trip or MX... I think there are better tools for the job. But for big, local rides I think it has potential!

Sell the Kawasaki!! She already has an FJ45... ;)

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Word. I want like, a big moped that can carry me and a small paintbox at a reasonable speed. Is there room for a "NO MEDICATION" decal? hahahh

Greg, that KTM is sexy-lookin.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
Just put the ATK on the hot plate. Had a blast on it in 2012 and I'm already thinking about the rides I want to do next summer. Ugh--I have a feeling its going to be a long boring winter :D

Future plans in this phase include:

-Rear wheel bearings Done
-Swing arm bearings Done
-Rear sprocket (has to be custom made if I want steel :rolleyes:) Done
-Chain Done
-Front sprocket Done
-Dunlop D908 Rally Raid (anyone here ran one of these?) or D606 Done. 606
-Rear brake pads Done
-Replace flush mount blinkers with something a little more visible. Done
-Replace rear brake light with something a LOT more visible. Done
-Looking at Wolfman's Raineer tank bag... Not yet

I wasn't able to ride much in 2013. Hopefully this summer will be better. I pulled the ATK in for some work. My battery destroyed itself internally and fried some components.

-Bought a new voltage regulator.
-looking at replacing battery cable. I'm hoping it's easier than it looks.
-Need battery.
-Probably upgrade the starter solenoid.
-A few frame cracks need to be welded up.

Pulled apart and ready for some much needed cleaning :cool:

photo-15_zpsb3ceae83.jpg

Caleb

It's that time of year again. I'm going through my bike getting it ready, adding a few things, etc. On my list include:

Added a GPR stabilizer
Swapped out the clutch cover for a higher capacity (and stronger) rekluse cover
Changed to a fresh set of tires (my old ones were pretty sad)
Typical maintenance items (air filter, oil, etc)
I'll be adding a street legal kit and legalizing my bike for the road
Adding a set of HDB handguards