Harbor Freight Tools

OREGON85

from OREGON
Harbor Freight Tools just opened not too far away here in Logan and I got to thinking how hit and miss their tools are. What have you found to work good and what should everyone be warned to avoid?

I'll start the list with things I have experience with.

Good:
Chicago Electric router
Simple stuff, like clamps and hammers
2.5 HP, sliding tray tile saw. This thing was a very good buy. It works just about as good as my former boss's Dewalt at 1/4 the price.
5'' orbital sander

Okay:
Chicago Electric biscuit cutter, good but the fence is super flimsy.

Bad:
Stud finder, does not work at all
Everything "Drill master," somehow ended up with a bunch of these tools at work. Very bad.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Great idea! My experience at HF is fairly limited.

Good:
Jack Stands
Engine Hoist

Bad:
Soda Blaster. Got the expensive one, my compressor was up to the job too.
Oscillating multi tool.

Cherokeester

I am happy we have a new HF here in Logan!!

Good:
Chicago E. grinder
Most of my Pittsburg hand tools are quite good
Chicago E. Hot air gun
Engine hoist works great
Engine stand works well
Air nail gun is fantastic

Bad
The only one I could think of was my Dremel copy, it went south really fast.

Venture13

HF has a great hand tool warranty. Only the Pitsburg brand though. From my experience I have learned never to buy any electric powered tools from them, although their air tools air not that bad if lubed.

Best deals
-4.5" metal cut off wheels
-Milwaukee Saw Sall blades
-Trailer balls and reciever parts
-Air chucks and Goodyear hose
-Heat shrink tube

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
I'm glad someone likes their air tools because I hated them...they were so underpowered that the half inch was nowhere near as powerful as my 3/8ths craftsman. It was no contest. I have abused their grinders to no end then Jamesgeologist showed up with his bosch gear and showed me what true power and reliability were...yeah their stuff is cheap and if you are only going to use it once or twice then they are a great deal...if not, then spend the bucks.

Fester

Good: mostly meh on all items.
Bad: Vice (I think it was a 6"), broke on first use. Polisher/buffer won't keep a consistant speed.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Any opinions on the 3.5 hp chop saw? I desparately need one and they have it on sale for $99

sixstringsteve

good:
- jack stands
- 20T press
- red pittsburg chisel sets
- pry bars (black and yellow)
- dentistry style tools
- brake vacuum bleeder (that connects to air compressor)
- arrowcopters (very cool toy, but not HF specific. Still a great toy at a great price).
- big tool box on wheels (very impressed with mine)
- heat shrink tube

not horrible, but not great:
- hydraluic car jack
- sandblaster (the red pot style)

bad:
- air compressors
- cheap screwdrivers

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
good:
airlines
earthquake impact.
big tool box
jack stands
hand tools
middle price angle grinders
motor hoist
floor jacks
4.5" cutoff wheels
air hammer
electric drill

bad:
cheap angle grinder (blue one)
cheap impact
dremel
zip ties
cheap screw drivers (although a disposable screw driver is nice in my line of work where I lose them all the time).
air fittings
low end heat gun (burned up)
cheap recipricating saw (has cheap gearsets that strip out)

Point is: if you are buying a discount tool, get the best one they sell.
You're still spending less than name brand and it will actually work well.

DAA

I have that one. It was good for about two weeks of cutting metal studs every day. Then the switch got flaky. Now I have to take it apart and mess with it to get the switch contacting again about every third time I use it. If I was still using it very often, I'd be looking for a new one, but since I only use it once in awhile, I put up with the flaky switch. Not sure I'd buy it again, unless I knew I wouldn't really need to use it that often.

- DAA

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
The bad-

I hate my HF combination wrenches.... I bought them as cheap trails tools, they don't fit the nuts and bolts well and the opened ends flex and slip off. I wish I would have just spend the money on Craftsman wrenches.

Had a HF chop saw... it burned out within 6 months and I bought a Rigid, still going strong 10 yrs later.

Had a HF 4.5" grinder, got tired of replacing brushes and bought a Dewalt.

The good-

Bought a cheap HVLP paint gun for spraying POR15... it works well enough for the job.

Engine hoist works well.

Jack stands work ok, so does standard floor jack.

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
Any opinions on the 3.5 hp chop saw? I desparately need one and they have it on sale for $99

ha, "gamble" my brother has bought three of these, two didnt last a year, and the third he hasnt been able to kill in years...strange

I love my engine hoist, jackstands, parts washer, die grinder, measuring tools and templates, and my Hobart Welder I bought from them, Ive had my share of Junk from them too. anything that Im going to use every week I buy somewhere else.

Last edited: