Harbor Freight Tools

STAG

My experiences:

Good:
Band Saw - Item #93762 - works great, but the blades that HF sells (and the one that comes on it when bought) wear down quickly, just have to upgrade to a name-brand blade when the HF one takes a dump. Cuts quietly and accurately and I paid about $150 for it new, with a coupon.

4.5" flap discs for angle grinder - Item #68325 - work great, last as long as name-brand discs for about half the price.

Jackstands

20 ton Shop Press - Item #32879 - works well, but I hear the factory cast-iron arbor plates can break violently if put under too much pressure.

Ratchet adaptor set - Item #67925 - inexpensive and work well, I have used them with 1/2" IR impact gun and they have not broken.

Small Power inverter - Item #66817 - works well, have run drill with it and air mattress pump. it has interchangable terminal clips (for a battery, have inflated mattress off of four wheeler battery before) and a cigarette plug adaptor too.

Paper towel holder - Item #67700 - i use the crap out of blue-shop-towels and this is awesome for that. good strong magnets and simple design.

14" cutoff saw - Item #68104 - my dad has had a HF cutoff saw for about 13 years and it is still going strong. zero maintenance and zero part replacement other than abrasive blades.

Vice grips - all have worked well

pliers

screwdrivers - I bought the 22 piece set and have not ever broken or ruined any handles or tips. maybe I've just had good luck with them but I use them a lot. Item # 95114

Self-darkening welding helmet - Item # 46092 - works well, wish it had a bigger lens. but the head adjuster has not broke and I still use this helmet. (hoping to upgrade to miller soon though for a larger lens)

1" impact wrench - Item # 67096 - we use this at work to take off the dump-truck tires. sure beats a breaker bar with a cheater. only complaint is the trigger valve is in a stupid place.

The Okay:

Sand blaster cabinet - Item # 93608 - Works okay with right compressor, I've done a lot to try to take control of the moisture issue in my sandblasting but I still get clog problems ever once in a while. Also the window got kinda foggy quickly and is kinda hard to see through.

Sand blaster pressure pot - Item #34202 - again works okay with the right compressor, but it made a mess of sand wherever you blast and didnt allow you to re-use blast-media. works better with the deadman valve Item #92189. I actually don't ever use this one anymore and would sell the blaster for $10 if anyone is interested.

Tri-fold aluminum ramp - worked well for maybe 2 years and then the rivets that hold the support arms (the part that rests on the tailgate or trailer) wobbled out and came off. replaced HF ramps with aluminum ramps from Cabelas and I actually paid less for the Cabelas ramps and the Cabelas ramps seem like a better product. But I was still happy with my HF ramps, I used the crap out of them. Item #90018

dirtbike stand - Item #66552 - I think I paid $17 for it after a coupon, worked okay, but it still left the dirtbike kinda wobbly because it didnt have a large surface area, and the safety-pin design (to keep the bike lifted) gets lost easily.

Angle finder - Item #34214 - seems accurate but the magnet isnt the strongest. falls off metal objects easily. Upgraded to Husky Magnetic Digital Level from Home depot and never looked back.

Tool Box - Item #67421 - i use it. not anywhere big enough for all my tools. wish I had ball-bearing drawers. good beginner tool-box.

The bad:

Wrench set - Item #47467 - broke a bunch of the open end wrenches. cheap metal, doesn't like a lot of force. comes in cheap plastic roll.

Air compressor hose - the 50' hose I bought dry-rotted and cracked really quickly, within 2 or 3 months of purchase.

"tube benders" - my buddy had one and tried to do some tube work but it kinked almost all the bends and made the ones that didnt kink look like poo.

Fiberglass welding blanket - burnt through with even the smallest slag drops on first use. didnt protect what I was trying to protect.

pELYgroso

'Merica
I love having 3 grinders-one with a cut-off blade, one with a grinding blade, and one with a flap disk! Very convenient not having to constantly switch disks!! I wait until the nice ones go on sale for $15 and get them. I wouldn't get the cheap ones. The pliers are pretty decent as well, and the tri-fold aluminum ramp has worked great for me! Jackstands, creeper, misc. stuff w/out a ton of moving parts are MOSTLY pretty decently ok for the most part.....

Bad:
plastic clamps w/ trigger for clamping (black and orange)
electrical tape isn't great quality
DO NOT leave the masking tape that comes in multicolored packs of 3 or 4 on a wall for longer than a week. It is difficult to get off. Ask me how I know :)
Grinder blades work but you have to be more careful when using them. Good blades will bounce off a jagged edge. HF blades explode into 68 different pieces. -shrapnel!
pneumatic sheet metal cutter sucks! Cold butter would probably stop the blade.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of their new "Badlands" line of winches? Replaced the Chicago electric. They look nicer, but ????

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I've had good luck with their pneumatic tools, and the refrigerated air dryer is doing well so far.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I just bought an evolution rage 2 chop saw it doesnt use the abrasive blade like other saws it cuts way cleaner and faster. It comes with a multi purpose blade that works great but i bought a steel only blade as an extra but i still havent worn out my first blade so i cant say how much better the steel blade works.

Best chop saw I have ever used.

sixstringsteve

I was hoping to hear your results skippy. My rigid abrasive saw works great, but if I had to buy another one it'd be the evolution 2.

Last edited:

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
Good:
12 ton jackstands
Digital calipers
Analog micrometer

I had the calipers and micrometer calibrated in our Companies cal department and they still cal every year. I use them weekly and have been through a ton of button cell batteries on the calipers.

Rick, the grinders come with a spare set of brushes in the box.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
I tore apart a HF and a Craftsman pneumatic die grinder at work one day because they looked like they came off the same line--yep everything was identical internally. We put the die grinders through hell and the HF's hold up very well. Considering the cost of them compared to Crapsman its a no brainer...

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
...have been through a ton of button cell batteries on the calipers.

That's my only complaint about the digital calipers. Because of that, I rarely use my set--I use the dial caliper instead, since it doesn't use up batteries.

anyone used the HF drill presses? I need one and am considering one of their table top models. Anyone got one for sale?
Hit and miss. I've got a full-size one HF that is ok, but I've had one where the chuck wasn't quite perfectly centered... I guess you could always get them to replace it for that???

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Oh yeah, I LOVE their step bits. They're seriously one of my favorite tools.

The tube notchers are sweet for $40 and they might last long enough for a cage or two. If you plan on building several cages, get a nice one. I just make my friends buy their own if I'm going to work on a cage for them.

I have always bought their 4.5" cutting discs and grinding wheels because I notice no difference between them and the ones that are twice as much.

My HF corded 1/2" drill has handled some serious abuse as well.