How many of you out there are going to get a dirt bike in the near future?

rholbrook

I will be down there is probably 2 weeks but I figured if I could get them before then that would be great. If I dont get them by then I will holler at you.

Thanks.

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
Officially in the market for a 2007+ wr250f

:cool: For a short time I had a WR250f that had a big bore kit, 280cc IIRC? I did the YZF mods to it, YZF exhaust and that bike was scary QUICK! I think one of those with a Rekluse and a trials tire would be a most excellent trail bike. It was very flickable, I could pop the clutch, stand the bike on the rear tire and turn 180*'s like it was nothing. My biggest issue was that it seemed to run out of motor during high-speed runs thru the desert. Like, 60+ MPH the bike just seemed to lack power... could have been gearing, but I'm not sure.

I would love to have another one as a trail bike... :D

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
IMG_0397.JPG

2007 WR450 for sale if anyone is interested LINK

Last edited:

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
It is the bigger of the two offered, but its not a 21 inch, no estart

Its a 19in and 16 in, and honestly an estart on these things just adds unnecessary weight I can kick this thing over with my hand

Last edited:

Cascadia

Undecided
So my 07 KTM 250 xcf is running pretty decent now. Chance helped me install the chain( I didn't have the tool to cut the extra links off) and he tuned it a little so it no longer stalls if I let off the gas. I also installed a trail tech vapor computer today. Very simple to install and everything lines up perfectly. Turns out that ktm's have all the holes and and mounting locations already tapped and in place. I am still having issues kicking it over. It takes a million kicks. He said everything was clean in the carb. Any ideas or help?

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
I am still having issues kicking it over. It takes a million kicks. He said everything was clean in the carb. Any ideas or help?

Literally every bike except for the new fuel injected models have a knack or sweet spot when it comes to kick starting. Remember your carburetor has an accelerator pump so if you are twisting the throttle multiple times when you try to start it chances are you are flooding the motor... And it doesn't take much. Also if you're intake valves are tight you can experience hard starting and bogging while accelerating.

Try this. With a cold motor turn on the fuel valve and lean the bike over until fuel comes out of the vent hoses. Once you see fuel return the bike to the upright position and get on the bike--flip the choke to ON--rapidly twist the throttle 2 times (no more no less) and don't touch the throttle again. Find TDC and give it a few strong kicks. If everything is tuned right it should fire within a few kicks.

If that doesn't do it you might want to look into the pilot jetting or valve adjustments. This is the best thread I have found for tuning in the pilot circuit. I wish you didn't live so far away I'd be happy to take a look at it for you :( http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/823120-selecting-the-correct-pilot-jet-and-setting-the-fuel-screw/

Last edited:

Caleb

I vote valve adjustment

I agree...usually if 4-strokes don't like to start, it's due to valves being out of adjustment. Also, as Rot Box mentioned, each bikes has it's sweet spot/way of being kick-started. Once I get the hang of mine, it's a one or two kick ordeal usually, until I get it, it take a bit more kicking.

Cascadia

Undecided
I need to figure out my sweet spot but it seems like it would be more than that. It'd be nice if it was just that though. I miss my e start!

Caleb

I need to figure out my sweet spot but it seems like it would be more than that. It'd be nice if it was just that though. I miss my e start!

Pull the cover and check the valves. It'll probably only take you a couple minutes. Also, the KTMs use a screw type adjuster so you don't even have to buy any shims to adjust them.

Cascadia

Undecided
I wouldn't even know what to check for or what cover to pull. Never done any motor work or anything of the sort. I would like to though. Is there a good site that'll explain how to adjust them?

rholbrook

There are some videos on YouTube. Go watch a few because you will be surprised at how easy it is on a KTM. You do need to find out what your clearances need to be Hopefully you have a manual or you could always call the dealer or look on thumper talk bring it up to my place next week and I would be happy to help you with it as well as look at your jetting with you.

Caleb

I wouldn't even know what to check for or what cover to pull. Never done any motor work or anything of the sort. I would like to though. Is there a good site that'll explain how to adjust them?

Since it's something that should be checked often (every oil change...maybe ever other), usually your manual will tell you how to do it. There are also many guides on doing it in the internet as well. I bet Thumper Talk will have something, as well as KTM Talk.