i want a ls engine

AaronPaige

I have been watching for a deal on a buggy motor I have jumped on a few just to get burned or loose out. I want a 6.0 but would consider a 5.3 for a deal what you got or were did you get one... Anything you learned May help too

UFAB

We are buying ten motors next week.

What flavor you looking for?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
I got my 6.0 at all truck. They were great to deal with and fair with prices. Their inventory changes all the time so it's worth checking in regularly.

camdawg

I have a 5.3 in my buggy and I love it I don't think it is lacking power at all I would do a 5.3 again.

AaronPaige

I already Have the axles, there planetary style with 14.7 to 1 gear reduction and I love my 54 in tires so I'll most likely do them on this one to, so power and high rpm's will be a consern, I'll build the engine up a little to be happy running at high rpm but just need to have it before I can dream too much

SWALLDOG

Also check south bountiful auto. They usually have some 5.3 and 6.0 motors. I got my 5.3 from them in '08, put a take off corvette intake and fuel rails/injectors on from turn key and have never looked back. I don't know if the 6.0 is the same way but the 5.3's really like rpms (compared to a 5.7 350). Good luck w your hunt!

Probably at work under a truck.

idahoyj

Did you ever find an LS motor?

I'm keeping my eye out for a deal on a 5.3 right now too... How many miles would you guys say is "too much" for swapping into a Jeep project?

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
That's a good question. For me, it depends more on the deal and what I'm getting. I have swapped these motors with "0" miles on them to "just over 100,000", as I was told. These are the greatest motors ever, imo. But like all motors, one with 10000 miles on it that have all been spent at the red line may not run as well as one with 100000 easy miles with services done all the time. Most of the time, you will not know how well the motor has been treated. So it's a bit of a gamble.

So I'm more concerned with the price and the bolt ons that come with it. Sometimes the bolt ons can be overlooked. You can spend as much buying the bolt ons after the fact as you can the used engine by its self. If you know you will be doing custom bolt ons, save money by buying a motor with no bolt ons. If you know you will be making a custom harness, don't pay extra for one that comes with a harness. Likewise, if you want a cheap "thinned" out harness make sure you buy a motor with a harness included. They are HARD to find in good shape afterwards. Also, a motor that has been sitting for a long time will most likely have varnished injectors. If they can't be cleaned you'll be looking at buying a set. That cost could have put you into a better engine to begin with.

The bottom line is that the motor is the cheap part of the swap. We're talking $1-2000 in a swap costing $5-10k. Getting the whole thing wrapped up and finished just to find out the motor is bad stinks, but is not the end of the world. I have cranked a few of these motors over for the first time, having no idea what would happen. They've always run, but I have expected the worst.