I'm an Apple Whore

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Yeah...:ugh:

iPads.jpg

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
You're a DUMB Apple whore. Enjoy your $1000 worth of big cell phones. Or small laptops. Or whatever. Dumbass. :D

I kid, I kid. They're neat, but come on.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
You're a DUMB Apple whore. Enjoy your $1000 worth of big cell phones. Or small laptops. Or whatever. Dumbass. :D

I kid, I kid. They're neat, but come on.

You know, that's what I thought when they were announced. We actually went to the Apple store to get a Magic Mouse for the iMac (stupid Mighty Mouse scroll ball finally gave in). Tomi played with one for a bit, then we started discussing how we used our aging iBook's, basically just as internet terminals. Ultimately we decided that for the price the iPad was actually a pretty cheap way to go.

So far it's pretty cool, and man are they light!

They're not cellphones silly...they can't make phone calls :rolleyes:

Skype. Already placed a call to Poland. ;)

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
!! WTF!!! this ancient desktop POS can make phone calls! Apple sucks. :cody: :p

Poland eh? Yeah, that's where iPad owners come from LOL

sorry, I couldn't help it. And for the record, I grew up in the midst of many an Eastern Bloc'r-- Ukrainians, Poles, Czechs etc. It's a form of love to insult each other there hahah

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Tomi played with one for a bit, then we started discussing how we used our aging iBook's, basically just as internet terminals. Ultimately we decided that for the price the iPad was actually a pretty cheap way to go.

This is the niche I see them filling very well.

Creer32

Killer CJ-7
HA ha ha ha ha ha ifail, stupid apple!!! but that does show you advertisements can and will sell anything!! Or is that smart apple stupid humans? Not me I'll never own one!

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
HA ha ha ha ha ha ifail, stupid apple!!! but that does show you advertisements can and will sell anything!! Or is that smart apple stupid humans? Not me I'll never own one!

I understand you objections but I do acknowledge that Apple is only for the true enthusiast.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic

That's an interesting comparison, but the IPad does have a 3.5mm stereo headset jack, so that makes two of the specs in the IPad column wrong. Really makes me question the credability of the whole thing...

I wonder what the battery life is on that HP tablet?

FWIW I'd use one for web surfing. Apple stuff is expensive and nerdy, but it sure does work like it's supposed to.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
That's an interesting comparison, but the IPad does have a 3.5mm stereo headset jack, so that makes two of the specs in the IPad column wrong. Really makes me question the credability of the whole thing...

I wonder what the battery life is on that HP tablet?

FWIW I'd use one for web surfing. Apple stuff is expensive and nerdy, but it sure does work like it's supposed to.

It doesn't mention weight or thickness, both of which the iPad beats the HP tablet on. Also, the 3.5mm jack is a composite port, so it does support video out. You'll also recall that the HP tablet requires a stylus for many of it's functions, the iPad is a true touch screen. Finally, it assumes that the iPad is supposed to compete in the same tablet market, it doesn't.

As I mentioned earlier, we bought them as internet terminals. Our laptops are older and heavy by today's standards. We could have purchased a couple new MacBooks for $1,000 a pop (yes, I know I could buy a 'comparable' PC for significantly less, but I refuse to go back to Windows for personal use. But thats not an argument I'm looking to rehash) or we could get a couple iPad's for $500 a pop. We have an iMac which serves all our heavy computing needs, so the iPad is a nice, light thing to lounge on the couch with.

The display is quite vivid, the interface is very simple and easy to use. I can use the mobile version of Google Reader and browse my news and blogs while sitting in my living room rather than at my desk. Yes, I could do that with the laptop, but they always got pretty hot. This is much nicer.

Finally, in the most nerdy thing anyone on this board has read in a very long while, I've always wanted a Personal Access Display Device (PADD):

PADD_2370s.jpg

So the real question is, is the iPad seven year behind or 360 years ahead? :D

Last edited:

DevinB

I like traffic lights
Does it have a Hulu app or anything like it? I was seriously looking at the upcoming HP Slate, but HP axed that yesterday. A tablet would be awesome for some fun games and internet surfing, but if I wanted to pull up nbc.com and watch the previous night's shows, can it do that?

DAA

Supporting Member
I had a TC1100. Paid like $2500 for it in 2003 or 2004. And it sucked. OS was kluged to work on the device. Buggy. Did not leverage the advantages and uniqueness of the form factor at all. Indeed, if anything, the OS served mostly to highlight and make more noticeable the inherent weaknesses and limitations of the form factor. And really, if we're comparing to the iPad, even the form factor of that HP sucked. Useability was the absolute shitz. When using it, I was constantly thinking that it would be a lot easier to get the same work done on a regular notebook or laptop. But at the same time, it was more expensive than a more powerful "plain" notebook.

I can say mostly the same for all the Windows based slates, convertibles and UMPC's, both pen and touch based, that I have used - and I have used a lot of them.

The iPad is a lot less expensive. And sucks a lot less. OS and device literally made for each other. Useability is the best there is for a device this powerful. My 7 year old was a "power user" on it right from the start. We handed one to a 5 year old last week and he found the games on it and started playing them almost immediately, without any help from us.

Relative lack of raw computing power and limitations/constraints of the OS obviously prevent the iPad from competing with more powerful machines in many areas. Simply put, there are applications for which it simply doesn't have the horses. An awful lot of people are using far more powerful machines for tasks the iPad can easily handle though. Indeed, I think there are an awful lot of people out there using Windows based machines that are not doing ANYTHING with them that the iPad can't handle. And the way the iPad OS leverages the strengths of the form factor, make it more usable for a lot of applications. The Lenovo netbook in my kitchen would be a good example of this. For how that netbook gets used, the iPad would be a superior device, simply based on screen size and form factor of the devices. For newly developed applications designed within it's parameters and utilizing the unique advantages of the form factor and cost point, the iPad is a real game changer.

I dig the iPad. And I'm the furthest thing from being an Apple enthusiast. Indeed, I'm notorious for being cruel to the Apple enthusiasts.

- DAA

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Does it have a Hulu app or anything like it? I was seriously looking at the upcoming HP Slate, but HP axed that yesterday. A tablet would be awesome for some fun games and internet surfing, but if I wanted to pull up nbc.com and watch the previous night's shows, can it do that?

That is a big drawback to it. No Flash support. Now as HTML5 becomes more prevalent, this will become less of an issue. But for right now it is a little obnoxious. That being said, if you have Netflix you can stream that.

In other news, you were an Apple whore a looooooong time ago...

It's been a slow ramp. I think the iPads are what pushed me into 'whore' territory though. I now have eight Apple computing devices in my house and that is just pathetic.