Jeep JKU; Hemi swap into a '11 Rubicon?

Rogerwh0

I am looking at a JK that had an engine fire. The repair will cost close to the same as a conversion. Does anyone have experience with the swaps? Reliability needs to be maintained for sure but power is fun!

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I would look at a GM 5.3 and 6L80E transmission, seems like the GM swap is quite a bit cheaper than the Hemi swap. The 6L80E combined with the 5.3 will get around 20 MPG in a JK!

If you don't buy it, let me know where it is! I would love a GM powered JK!

Rogerwh0

What's does a GM swap cost roughly? The hemi swaps look to be about 6500 plus the donor motor. What is the benefits to going with a GM? The fire was really minimal, barely burnt the paint on the hood but the electronics and harness are gone.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Check out Mo Tech. They seem to have the best kit right now. Total cost for the package is about $7500 plus engine and tranny. There are several Hemi owners that are converting to the LS motors. Those motors are great and run so much better in the JK, but the real advantage is the new 6l80 tranny. It really makes the package shine. The tap shift seems pretty cool too.
I'm all over the LS motors, but wont even consider the Hemi.

UFAB

Re: Hemi swap into a 11 rubicon

Nemesis has a good hemi kit. Going with the LS will be hard to emissions and testing. Also the turnkey LS kit still has engine dash idiot lights.

Look at 15k to finish right.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Last I checked with Motech, there was no emissions issues, and no engine lights. Check out his youtube videos.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
The GM swap is ideal. There is just more aftermarket support for it.
I've also read there are programming issues with the Hemi swap. People are unable to attain expected HP numbers. They run fine, just not getting the same peak numbers that the engine provided in the donor vehicle.

RockChucker

Hemi swap into a 11 rubicon

I swapped a 5.3 into my TJ and have not had any inspection issues. It has to have all the emissions jazz there though. I have a fully functioning OBDII port. You would have to have it inspected at a referee station after the swap though. I believe that is also true of a hemi swap. GM is way better bang for the buck with way more aftermarket support. I've never heard of swapping a HEMI into a JK for $6500 plus the motor and trans either. Seems like it is usually 3 times that much.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I can get a brand new 6.0 for $3700 and a 6l80 for $1750-2000. Good used ones are half that price. The full kit from motec is about $7500. I can pick up a used 241j for under $500. Then sale off my engine, trans, and 241or, - $2000 Figure in $500 for the nickel and dime stuff and I'm there. I will do all the labor myself. Worst case, I should be out no more then about $12k if I go brand new parts. $10k if used parts.

Rogerwh0

Does any one have one of these that has an opinion or reliablity experience? I can't decide if I should just fix or add a little extra cash and gain power. This is going to be my wifes driver so reliability is a huge concern.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I asked Robbie at Motech the other day for a local with an LS motor that I could check out. He only knew of one guy in Beaver that he did the swap for. I really wasn't to worried about it though. I've done enough ls swaps to know they are great. I don't know of a more reliable drive train then Chevy.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I don't have personal experience, but you should check Utah law on mixing a GM motor with a Jeep vehicle. The last time i checked, you can't mix brands, especially in Davis County. I would check with the state before dropping money on a GM swap if you plan to register and drive the vehicle on the road in Utah. I would certainly be interested in what you find.

Rogerwh0

I will check into the legalities. I know a guy, so I am not worried about it. Resale will be tough if it isn't legal or emmision friendly. What does a motor swap do to value? I suppose it would decrease the amount of potential buyers and therfore lowers the resale? I hope to know tomorrow if I can close the deal on the Jeep.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I will check into the legalities. I know a guy, so I am not worried about it. Resale will be tough if it isn't legal or emmision friendly. What does a motor swap do to value? I suppose it would decrease the amount of potential buyers and therfore lowers the resale? I hope to know tomorrow if I can close the deal on the Jeep.

FWIW, before I bought my 2012, I was looking to buy a few conversions. The pricing for a Hemi swapped 4 door was from the middle $30k to about $75k depending on axles and "bling"

flexyfool

GDW
The repair will cost close to the same as a conversion.

Really? Somewhere in the USA there is a pretzled 2011+/- JK with a good engine harness and whatever other electronic modules you need. Contact your local junkyard and have them do a national search. I bet you can get every wire, sensor, computer module, and mounting clip for a reasonable price and install it yourself.