Jeep JKU; Hemi swap into a '11 Rubicon?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I had no trouble getting my 1989 Jeep YJ with Ford 5.0 motor emissioned and inspected in Salt Lake County back in March. I did have to take it to the county emissions facility, but the guys there were pretty happy with the conversion.

They told me motor swaps are a gray area legally, and they will make the call when you bring it to them. They just want to make sure the emissions equipment is all there.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
They just want to make sure the emissions equipment is all there.

Did they specifically say if they are looking for the Jeep emissions parts or the Ford's emissions parts?

I know with Motech's kit, it comes with all the emissions parts that the chevy motor had, or they modify the Jeeps parts so they act like chevy parts to the ecu.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Not being able to register a motor swapped rig is a joke. Are there any other options? Registering as a kit car? Getting a vin from a cj and doing a vintage car registration?

RockChucker

Hemi swap into a 11 rubicon

I had no trouble getting my 1989 Jeep YJ with Ford 5.0 motor emissioned and inspected in Salt Lake County back in March. I did have to take it to the county emissions facility, but the guys there were pretty happy with the conversion.

They told me motor swaps are a gray area legally, and they will make the call when you bring it to them. They just want to make sure the emissions equipment is all there.

I had the same experience. They gave it a pretty thorough look to make sure all the evap canister, cats and o2 sensors were there. Then they reset my PCM to make sure I hadn't just deleted everything out of the tune to make the check engine light go away. The guys down there at the county are a good group of guys and were fair.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I was thinking more like $35k to $45k. Not having a clean title will hurt him a lot. The axles could hold up just fine, depending on what you do with the rig. They could blow out in a second as well.

TeraFlex

TeraFlex
Vendor
FYI we have a 2011 motor/auto trans with 12k on it for $4,500. The JK will be getting a Hemi soon so you can hear it run. For $6,000 you get the motor/trans/Rubicrawler. Call 801-713-3314 and ask for Ben.

rholbrook

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
FYI we have a 2011 motor/auto trans with 12k on it for $4,500. The JK will be getting a Hemi soon so you can hear it run. For $6,000 you get the motor/trans/Rubicrawler. Call 801-713-3314 and ask for Ben.

Wow! Is that the going rate for these drivetrains?

OB1

I had been thinking of the GM swap also and what I understood was it was fine as long as the new power train was the same year or newer than the vehicle it was going in. And had all the emissions stuff installed.

Bart

I had been thinking of the GM swap also and what I understood was it was fine as long as the new power train was the same year or newer than the vehicle it was going in. And had all the emissions stuff installed.

This is what I've been told also, and it must have the same emissions equipment and meet the emissions standards of the year of the Jeep.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I would need a second mortgage, but WOW! Wouldn't that be a kick in the pants!

Not sayin that motor per-say but that would be a lot of fun. I guess if I could afford that motor I would be able to afford the new back tires bi-annually

Rogerwh0

I got the JK bought finally. I think I want to get it back running with the 3.8 so I have a motor to sell when I pull it out. All I need is the upper intake, the engine harness, a couple sensors, and some plug wires and it should run and drive. Anyone have a donor harness or intake they want to sell.