Just another run of the mill Buggy build

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
It was axle building/destroying day yesterday at the shop. I narrowed my front pro rock 60 down to 62" WMS and my rear is going to be an even 60. If you ever decide to cut an inner C off a factory axle and reuse it save yourself the heartache and just buy new. I am a cheap@$$ and i decided to cut the inner Cs off a factory 60 I had laying around to reuse on my pro rock. I am sure there are better ways of doing this but this is how I did it.

Cut inner C off with bandsaw
grind down the remaining weld/axle tube until you are flush with the back of the Inner C
proceed to gouge around the axle tube with grinding wheel
I put the inner C in the drill press and drilled a single 1/2" hole into the remaining axle tube
That released alot of the pressure and I pounded it out pretty easy after that

Over all it took about an hour to get both Inner Cs cleaned up and ready to go on the new axle. Im sure it could be done faster but this is the first set I have ever done this way.

And one more of the dismembered bodies:

I really suck about slowing down and taking enough pictures to show the whole process, Over all we cut apart 4 axles today and got 2 front axles all the way back together.

flexyfool

GDW
It was axle building/destroying day yesterday at the shop. I narrowed my front pro rock 60 down to 62" WMS and my rear is going to be an even 60. If you ever decide to cut an inner C off a factory axle and reuse it save yourself the heartache and just buy new. I am a cheap@$$ and i decided to cut the inner Cs off a factory 60 I had laying around to reuse on my pro rock. I am sure there are better ways of doing this but this is how I did it.

Cut inner C off with bandsaw
grind down the remaining weld/axle tube until you are flush with the back of the Inner C
proceed to gouge around the axle tube with grinding wheel
I put the inner C in the drill press and drilled a single 1/2" hole into the remaining axle tube
That released alot of the pressure and I pounded it out pretty easy after that

Over all it took about an hour to get both Inner Cs cleaned up and ready to go on the new axle. Im sure it could be done faster but this is the first set I have ever done this way.

You just made $700/hr reusing the inner C's if they were the king pin style.

Last edited:

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I started mocking up my front axle last night and finished setting up the Inner Cs on my front axle, I have never built a rig with an axle this narrow and in hindsight I should have made my lower front frame rails slightly narrower. I will have to notch them to clear the coilovers at full articulation. At full bump the top of the differential is above the framerail and it appears everything to going to clear pretty easily......so far

My front axle is set up at 61" WMS

And before anyone notices it, I got picture happy and took pictures before I had the chassis sitting level on the jack stands.. :)

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
These just rolled in the door, They are not the ones I ordered but after waiting for over 2 months I will run them anyways they only thing that is wrong is the color they were supposed to be all silver.

With that being said Raceline hooked me up big time with there Racer program and got these out to me before alot of other orders. I would also like to thank Mcghie Offroad Racing for setting me up with Raceline!!! Make sure you like them on facebook!!! https://www.facebook.com/mcghieracing

Last edited:

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Whoever thought owning 2 awesome wheeling rigs was a good idea has clearly never built, wheeled and maintained 2 rigs. I didnt work on the buggy at all this weekend. I spent the entire weekend working on the JK doing some much needed maintenance and performance upgrades. I finally got the inter cooler installed and finished up the magnaflow exhaust along with installing the front speedbump. Between the exhaust and intercooler I noticed a pretty good increase in power. I am going to be installing the smaller supercharger pulley here real soon as well.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I need to clearance mine a little. I've noticed some bind marks. :eek:

How much does this affect the strength of the ears?