Just another run of the mill Buggy build

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Well I threw some money at this thing today and ordered up a radiator, Master brake cylinders, the shifter for my trans and rear axle shafts.... I am planning on hitting this really hard the next couple weeks

Coco

Well I threw some money at this thing today and ordered up a radiator, Master brake cylinders, the shifter for my trans and rear axle shafts.... I am planning on hitting this really hard the next couple weeks

When we gonna bend some links :busted:

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
So for my rear axle I am actually using a front passenger drop housing with front spindles and outers off a front 60.... I want to use the factory inner seals for a front axle. Who does custom shafts that can machine me double splined shafts with the seal surface. I have the technology to machine these myself but not the proper tooling. I can invest in the proper tooling but this point in the build I would rather just buy shafts and be done with it. I would prefer 300m shafts but 4340 will do....

Thanks

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Branik was all about talking to me until I told them I need a seal surface along with the double splined shafts then they stopped emailing me and I cant get a response... So screw them

RockChucker

RCV probably can seeing as their front inner shafts are double splined to mate to the CV joint...they also have a 300m option...I may have a solution for your inner seals too...call me later

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Well I pulled the trigger and ordered a spline cutter I will be making my own shafts from scratch. the raw material will be here tomorrow morning and getting sent out for heat treat

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I'd assume their shaft blanks aren't large enough for the seal surface. Could you just make a press-on seal surface piece to put on before the profile machining?

Either way....you have the stuff coming, so I won't mention that UFAB or Summit Machine can probably do it. ;)

D

Deleted member 12904

Well I pulled the trigger and ordered a spline cutter I will be making my own shafts from scratch. the raw material will be here tomorrow morning and getting sent out for heat treat

This is awesome on so may level's!

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I'd assume their shaft blanks aren't large enough for the seal surface. Could you just make a press-on seal surface piece to put on before the profile machining?

Either way....you have the stuff coming, so I won't mention that UFAB or Summit Machine can probably do it. ;)

They can both do it but they will also charge me more than the tooling and raw material cost.... So I might as well have it around for future projects...

I could make a ton of different seal designs work but I want to retain the factory inner seals for simplicity and availability and I can make shafts just as easy as I can machine something to run a different seal

Last edited:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
They can both do it but they will also charge me more than the tooling and raw material cost.... So I might as well have it around for future projects...

I could make a ton of different seal designs work but I want to retain the factory inner seals for simplicity and availability and I can make shafts just as easy as I can machine something to run a different seal

I didn't mean run a different seal...I meant so you could still use smaller shaft blank material (1.5"+ O.D.) and have a larger spot on it for the seal surface, which I think is something like 1.625".