Lasik part 2 Custom or traditional??

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
Lasik plus

My eyesite was 20/650 which is over legally blind... (-6.50) and I had to wear my glasses for 3 weeks before going in... I got the custom just do to the fact that if they do go worse later on the enhancement is free... it cost me $3300 for both eyes but they did finace so you could just pay them every month for the rest of your life if you wanted to!!!

By the way I have 20/15 site now and I would do it all over again.... however my girlfriend had her eyes done at some cheap place a few years ago and she already needs the enhancement but she will have to pay all over again due to she got just the traditional....

The place I got my eyes done was called lasik plus on 5400 s and state street up on the 2nd floor

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
gijohn40 said:
My eyesite was 20/650 which is over legally blind... (-6.50) and I had to wear my glasses for 3 weeks before going in... I got the custom just do to the fact that if they do go worse later on the enhancement is free... it cost me $3300 for both eyes but they did finace so you could just pay them every month for the rest of your life if you wanted to!!!

By the way I have 20/15 site now and I would do it all over again.... however my girlfriend had her eyes done at some cheap place a few years ago and she already needs the enhancement but she will have to pay all over again due to she got just the traditional....

The place I got my eyes done was called lasik plus on 5400 s and state street up on the 2nd floor

Happy to hear you're happy with Lasik Plus, since I have an appointment for a consultation there at 1:00 today. :cool:

What was the "cheap place" your girlfriend went to?

Kenny98

I wore soft disposable (acuvue) after 8 years I still see 20/15. I don't want to open a can of worms here. But traditional lasik vs custom isn't what will cause you to need a retreatment. It will all depend on how high of a RX you have high + or - or astigmatism you have. Sometimes people who have a high RX they will regress thus needing to go back for a retreatment. As long as you go back and need a retreatment within the first year they can just relift the flap a do the retreatment. After a year the flap will have to be recut.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
gijohn40 said:

That is the same place my wife went. Great people. We would do it again in a heart beat.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Just got back from Lasik Plus, nice place--I'd feel comfortable having them do the procedure. It'll be either $3K or $3300 for me, depending on if I get the "lifetime warrantee" or not. The cheaper one includes "touchups" for one year, the lifetime is...well, for life. That's using the Alcon Ladarvision 4000 machine, if that means anything to anyone. It's a Flying Spot laser that can treat eyes with larger pupils (like mine) and accurately do greater corrections. (I need that because of my astigmatism)

I'll be checking out at least a couple other places before I commit to any. The Eye Institute of Utah will be tomorrow, the Hoopes/Alldredge Vision Center in a couple weeks.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I'm a -5.8 if I remember correctly. I'm worried that because of my semi-hard contacts that I've worn for the passed 15 years it may take my eyes longer to return to their natural shape before the surgery.

I should make an appointment at Lasik Plus and see what they have to say.

Cody

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
Cody said:
I'm a -5.8 if I remember correctly. I'm worried that because of my semi-hard contacts that I've worn for the passed 15 years it may take my eyes longer to return to their natural shape before the surgery.

I should make an appointment at Lasik Plus and see what they have to say.

Cody

Yep, I think you are right, I'd guess 5'8" too:p

I wear acuvues too, so that is the dif....hard/semi hard do reshape your eye some....Just ask most the older USAF pilots that still have to qualify;) I have heard stories of wearing hard lens for a week or so and as they go in to the physical, they pop the out, but the eye holds shape long enough to pass.... Hey, just what I heard:ugh:

sibeta

i had it done at that same place on 5400 south. I cant believe i wore contacts as long as i did and didnt get the surgery sooner. I mean it is rediculous how nice it is to not have to wear them anymore. I had the traditional done on my eyes and i also had an astigmatism. I had mine done a year ago and have no problems and dont forsee having to go back in. I was out of contacts for 2 or 3 weeks was all.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Just got back from The Eye Institute of Utah. Another really good place, I'd be very comfortable having them work on my peepers as well. They have a newer technology laser than Lasik Plus does, which can only be a good thing, and they also offer IntraLase where Lasik Plus does not. (that's where the corneal flap is cut by a laser rather than a blade)

The price is $3800 with IntraLase, or $3000 with the blade, so it's very comparable in price. I'll keep posting as I get other results....

camicaztoy

i had mine done about a year ago at mt ogden eye center. best money i've ever spent on anything in my life. ranks right up there with building my wheeler. thats saying alot coming from me. wheeling is my life.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
<back from the dead>
So did you get it done?

I did! I now see clearly without glasses/contacts. :cool: I've been wearing glasses for 25 years, so it's been a bit of an adjustment. (a good one)

I ended up having to cancel my appt. with Hoopes/Alldredge due to my work schedule (non-schedule), then Lasik Plus called me and offered a deep discount if I could get it done the next day. So, I did it. All's been rosy so far, and it's been just over a month since I went under the knife.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I did! I now see clearly without glasses/contacts. :cool: I've been wearing glasses for 25 years, so it's been a bit of an adjustment. (a good one)

I ended up having to cancel my appt. with Hoopes/Alldredge due to my work schedule (non-schedule), then Lasik Plus called me and offered a deep discount if I could get it done the next day. So, I did it. All's been rosy so far, and it's been just over a month since I went under the knife.

Wow!!! That'll be interesting to see you without specs. :D Congrats!!!

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Kinda like seeing you with hair???? :D

I'm just reading this for the first time. I'll be getting mine done here shortly. My daughter had hers done at Lasik Plus if I remember right (53rd and State?). Shortly afterwards, she started interning at Hoopes/Aldredge. According to her, if she was doing it again, Hoopes/Aldredge is who she'd use.

Also, she recomends requesting Hoopes Sr., Aldredge, or Hoopes Jr. in that order to perform the work.

Wow!!! That'll be interesting to see you without specs. :D Congrats!!!

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Good deal I'm thinking about getting it done next year. It's time for the insurance deal at work so I'll probably make sure I get enough flex $ to cover it.