Lasik part 2 Custom or traditional??

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
It's been on my mind alot, I'm just getting sick & tired of glasses. :-\

That's where I was. I was at -5.25 and basically couldn't see anything without my glasses. My vision is still stabilizing but it's only been 3 days. The day after I was 20/30 and the Dr. said I should be at least 20/20 by friday.

I did the flexible spending account so it's coming out pre-tax and it will be paid off this year.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
That's where I was. I was at -5.25 and basically couldn't see anything without my glasses. My vision is still stabilizing but it's only been 3 days. The day after I was 20/30 and the Dr. said I should be at least 20/20 by friday.

I did the flexible spending account so it's coming out pre-tax and it will be paid off this year.

NICE! Where did you end up going?

I just had my last checkup, 3.5-ish months post-surgery. 20/20. :cool:

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
NICE! Where did you end up going?

I just had my last checkup, 3.5-ish months post-surgery. 20/20. :cool:

I ended up going to Hoopes Alldredge. Hoopes Jr did my surgery.

Just a side question, with the eye drops anyone notice a taste in your mouth a few minutes after? it's not bad just kind of strange.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I ended up going to Hoopes Alldredge. Hoopes Jr did my surgery.

Just a side question, with the eye drops anyone notice a taste in your mouth a few minutes after? it's not bad just kind of strange.

Yup. I figured the drops were dribbling down the tubes into my throat.

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
And remember, drops are your friends!!! I'm almost 5 years post Lasik, and would do it again if I ever need a touch up. Since I highly doubt I'll be able to go back to where I had the original procedure (San Diego), I'll likely have to pay if I need a touch up...

I LOVE wearing sunglasses, and was amazed how much dirt fell on my face working on cars... Needless to say, I have a couple pairs of safety goggles that I never thought I needed before!

Yes, drops don't taste very good, but they sure feel good!

DevinB

I like traffic lights
I've really been thinking about it too.

Spork, exactly which procedure did you do? How much was it when all is said and done? I'm thinking of putting our flex money there too.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I've really been thinking about it too.

Spork, exactly which procedure did you do? How much was it when all is said and done? I'm thinking of putting our flex money there too.

I did the IntraLase (Cuts the flap) with the allegretto Wave laser. I found a coupon in the paper for free intralase and it was just shy of $4k.

I still reach for my glasses when I wake up though. :hickey:

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Where are you guys at now? I just got back from the eye doctor and i'm -6.25 and he said I'd be a good candidate for eye surgery. I'm going to start making some appointments...but I need to get some glasses first since I know I'll have to go without contacts for a few weeks. Hopefully not too long.

Cody

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I think I'm still 20/20, but I'm almost due for my 1 year checkup so I'll find out then.

WayneXJ

grocery getter driver
I'm coming up on 2 years since the surgery and my vision is still good. :) I hated wearing glasses even if it was only for a few weeks.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I just got back from Hoopes. I went to Lasik Plus about 3 months ago.

Lasik plus said that they didnt' even think I would benefit from the custom mapping because my eye was pretty standard, and that I would likely be out of contacts for 3-4 weeks. Cost was about 3000 or 3400 I think if I decide to do custom. As easily as they could have upsold me, I found it interesting that they didn't. Very comfortable experience. Lifetime touchups.

Hoopes gave me the impression that they thought Lasik Plus was crazy telling me I probably wouldn't benefit from custom, and that I would only need to go 3-4 weeks without my contacts. They said more like 6 weeks w/o, and (not in so many words) that I would deffinately want their custom wavefront action with intralase. They also said I may be a better candidate for PRK since my cornea thickness is just a little shy of average, but I should be fine either way. PRK has a slightly longer recovery time. Cost at Hoopes would be about $4700...so about 1700 more than Lasik Plus. They offer lifetime touchups, but only if you go below 20/40 and only if you go to the eye Dr. every year...which I guess makes sense but it almost sounds like they are trying to make you jump through Hoopes (get it?) to take advantage of their warrenty. The people were all nice, but there were so many other people waiting around and getting screened I couldn't help but feel like I was in the middle of some sort of racket.

I'm a little confused now. I know that the equipment makes the biggest difference, and I think Hoopes has the newest/best equipment, but how much of a difference does it make? Is it worth the extra wait (I know an extra 2 weeks isn't much but then it pushes my recovery into a couple trips that I already have planned in late April) and the extra couple of grand? how much of in the info about the superiority of their custom wavefront allegreto laser is propeganda and how much of it is true?

I've been wearing glasses now for 16 days, and I'm commited to getting this done ASAP, but I realize that I'm at the mercy of my eyes and their ability to relax from the 15 years of RGP contact use.

I guess there is the TLC Eye Center and the Eye institute of Utah still. I guess I'll make another appointment and see what they say. I'

Last edited:

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Stuff like this, the newer equipment is usually way better. This is one of those fields where technology is moving quickly.

I'm holding out for a little while longer, just to be sure.

Crinco

This thread started at 699.00 and is now at 4700.00 for Cody. Just better Tech that's more money I guess.
My vision isn't too bad at all. We have thought about getting this for our son though, he is 10. Do they have an age issue? A minimum? I just don't want him to be stuck with glasses as his only option growing up if his vision gets worse.

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
I just got back from Hoopes. I went to Lasik Plus about 3 months ago.

Lasik plus said that they didnt' even think I would benefit from the custom mapping because my eye was pretty standard, and that I would likely be out of contacts for 3-4 weeks. Cost was about 3000 or 3400 I think if I decide to do custom. As easily as they could have upsold me, I found it interesting that they didn't. Very comfortable experience. Lifetime touchups.

Hoopes gave me the impression that they thought Lasik Plus was crazy telling me I probably wouldn't benefit from custom, and that I would only need to go 3-4 weeks without my contacts. They said more like 6 weeks w/o, and (not in so many words) that I would deffinately want their custom wavefront action with intralase. They also said I may be a better candidate for PRK since my cornea thickness is just a little shy of average, but I should be fine either way. PRK has a slightly longer recovery time. Cost at Hoopes would be about $4700...so about 1700 more than Lasik Plus. They offer lifetime touchups, but only if you go below 20/40 and only if you go to the eye Dr. every year...which I guess makes sense but it almost sounds like they are trying to make you jump through Hoopes (get it?) to take advantage of their warrenty. The people were all nice, but there were so many other people waiting around and getting screened I couldn't help but feel like I was in the middle of some sort of racket.

I'm a little confused now. I know that the equipment makes the biggest difference, and I think Hoopes has the newest/best equipment, but how much of a difference does it make? Is it worth the extra wait (I know an extra 2 weeks isn't much but then it pushes my recovery into a couple trips that I already have planned in late April) and the extra couple of grand? how much of in the info about the superiority of their custom wavefront allegreto laser is propeganda and how much of it is true?

I've been wearing glasses now for 16 days, and I'm commited to getting this done ASAP, but I realize that I'm at the mercy of my eyes and their ability to relax from the 15 years of RGP contact use.

I guess there is the TLC Eye Center and the Eye institute of Utah still. I guess I'll make another appointment and see what they say. I'

Keep us posted, I'm thinking hard about Lasik & will probably come up to SLC for the work if I go thru with it.

Caleb

Keep us posted, I'm thinking hard about Lasik & will probably come up to SLC for the work if I go thru with it.
If you're interested in talking with someone about it Greg, my uncle is an Eye Doctor in Grand Junction. He doesn't do the surgery but I know he has a couple doctors he recommends in Denver and in Salt Lake.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
This thread started at 699.00 and is now at 4700.00 for Cody. Just better Tech that's more money I guess.
My vision isn't too bad at all. We have thought about getting this for our son though, he is 10. Do they have an age issue? A minimum? I just don't want him to be stuck with glasses as his only option growing up if his vision gets worse.

They won't let you do it until your eyes have stopped growing/changing, which is usually age 25 or so.

Cody, just for comparo, the lifetime visual acuity deal at Lasik Plus is dependent on you getting an eye exam yearly, at your choice of eye doctors. You just need to keep your documentation of the exams, and if your prescription gets bad enough they'll redo it. (20/40 sounds about what I remember, actually....)