Lasik part 2 Custom or traditional??

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
Cody

I had my eyes done at lasic plus about 3 yrs ago and they were able to correct it to 20/15 (from 20/650) and they have been good since then... I paid for the lifetime touch ups and it was only about 3400 for me... I think you will be fine there...

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
John, I'm pretty close to where you were...at -6.25. Did you have an astigmatism? Do you have problems with halo's at night?

That was one of the differences they cited about the new technology allegretto stuff, less chance of halo's at night.

Cody

Meat_

Banned
I haven't really looked into this but if I were to do it I would ignore the price and get the best machinery.

It's like this guy I used to know with a $600 helmet, when asked how he could pay that much for a helmet he would reply "Sure you can get a good helmet for a couple hundred, but how much is your head worth? Mine is worth $600"

gijohn40

for about the first month I had the halo's and all but they went away and haven't had any troubles since then... its been 3 years now and I had an eye exam and I'm still sitting at 20/15 with both eyes but 20/20 individually..

I did research the machines and all and from what I found they all do about the same thing... its the doctor that is doing the work and their knowledge of the eye that you need to look into... the doctor at lasic plus was a female and I can't remember her name but she was one of the top docs in utah at the time...

Make sure you use the drops or should I say overuse the drops!!!

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
well, I have an appointment with TLC today at 3, and I'm going to make an appointment today with Dr. Francis Wapner too. I've heard a few people tell me he did their surgery so maybe it's worth my time to go consult an independent.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
well, I have an appointment with TLC today at 3, and I'm going to make an appointment today with Dr. Francis Wapner too. I've heard a few people tell me he did their surgery so maybe it's worth my time to go consult an independent.

Wapner is who I have seen, did the screening. He has also removed metal from my eyes a couple times:cool: (those are safety glasses)

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
He's a lot less expensive, but I'm just super ancy about this. I don't know what makes more of a difference, the Dr. or the gizmo.

I see Dr. Wapner at 8:30 tomorrow morning, so by tomorrow I have to know where I'm going.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
He's a lot less expensive, but I'm just super ancy about this. I don't know what makes more of a difference, the Dr. or the gizmo.

I see Dr. Wapner at 8:30 tomorrow morning, so by tomorrow I have to know where I'm going.

Whats his pricing now? I am really thinking about this again....
Hoopes gives PEHP (public employees) a $250 per eye discount.

Hoopes has the marketing down, for sure, but I have to wonder if they are really that much better....It's eyes after all, don't want to skimp a couple hundred, but $1g is lots o cash.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Well, it seems Hoopes has the best gadgets, but I also wonder how much of it is marketing. I know Dr. Aldridge that used to be there is a top-notch surgeon, but I wonder why he left and wonder about who is left. It just seemed like such a racket in there, people everywhere, multiple lines for different parts of the evaluation, and I have 5 different people work with my exam at different points. All very nice, but I just felt somewhat hurried through and it wasn't a very personal touch.

The price I've been "told" that Wapner charges is $1200/eye, but I'm not sure about that until tomorrow. But 2400 is much easier to swallow than 4700, but if I get better vision for the rest of my life by spending 4700 then I'll do it. I want the best job, but I don't want to get sold into something that costs 2x's as much that really doesn't give me any added benefits.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I just got done at TLC. I have to say, I like what they have to say. Very straight forward and seemed to be pretty honest. I felt better about them than anyone else so far.

Unless Dr. Wapner has something up his sleave, I'm pretty sure I'm going with TLC.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
I just got done at TLC. I have to say, I like what they have to say. Very straight forward and seemed to be pretty honest. I felt better about them than anyone else so far.

Unless Dr. Wapner has something up his sleave, I'm pretty sure I'm going with TLC.

What was their pricing? What was their opinion about custom?
Straight forward and honest sounds good.

gijohn40

everyone keeps asking about price... when I had my eyes done they told me that the price was going to go up and down depending on the perscription of your eyes... if your close to having 20/20 its not going to cost that much due to they don't have to do much work... but if you are like me witn 20-650 your going to be there a bit under the laser and its going to cost more... so to be honest to the companies that have been listed you can't really compare your cost to someone elses... but do get a few prices to compare...

One thing my uncle always told me to watch out for was companies that acted like three ring circuses... they are the ones that have to market so much to get people in cause they can't get them in on the merits of the doctors.... so if you get a uneasy feeling I would suggest going elsewhere where you feel you got the personal touch...

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
INFORMATION OVERLOAD. My gigantic dome isn't even big enough to take all this in and make sense of it. I work in sales and marketing, so I'm always a skeptic and can usually pick up pretty well on BS....but because it's my eyes I'm second guessing myself.

Price was about 3700 total at TLC. It's the same price regardless of prescription assuming you go for the intralase, custom, with the lifetime touchups....they flip the same switch if your 20/40 or 20/400.

I told TLC that Lasik + didn't think I would benefit from custom, and he said he thought that was crazy and he would do it for sure..and not to let anyone no matter where I go tell me not to do custom. Something about with how thick my prescription is I would most likely end up with really bad night glare. TLC also said that because I have a little bit thinner cornea than average, I would definitely want intralase because it makes a slightly thinner and more consistent flap compared to the microkaratome.

My appointment this morning with Dr. Wapner was interesting. Turns out I know a few people that work there, it is $1200/ eye and touch ups are just whatever the cost is to flip the laser back on--couple hundred bucks. He wanted me to go 8 weeks minimum without contacts, said he is the "anti" marketing guy and that I would be absolutely foolish to go with custom because it takes more tissue away and with my already slightly thin cornea's I wanted to leave as much tissue as possible. He also said that he would definitely NOT do intralase, as the blade makes a thinner flap than the laser....so basically he said everything the opposite of what TLC said. He did rush me through the consultation, but it was more because he has a busy practice and Lasik is just one part of it...he's a traditional eye Dr. too.

So, this is what I've come to

Lasik +:
Laser: have to check, but they had a couple
Flap: Don’t offer intralase, only mikrokerotome
Contacts: Out 3-4 weeks
PRK: no mention
Custom: Most likely not necessary, little to no benefit for my eyes
Cost: About $3200 for normal, $3700 for custom
+ Very nice. Didn’t throw any other places under the bus when I asked their opinions, could have up-sold me on custom but didn’t. Many people here have had it done with good results there.
- Don’t offer the intralase, so they would obviously try and sell me into what they have. Not sure 3-4 weeks for contacts is accurate—at least it’s not consistent with what everyone else has said.

Hoopes:
Laser: Allegretto wavefront optimized blah blah blah
Flap: Can do either, almost always do intralase because it’s more consistent
Contacts: Out 1 month for every decade of use (so about 6 weeks)
PRK: Close, might be safer, but still recommended Lasik
Custom: for sure use customer wavefront blah blah. Less chance of night glare vs. other lasers
Cost: about $4700 (although I did here a commercial that said free intralase so that would make it about $4100.
+ Very clean and professional environment. Supposedly newest/best/superawesomest technology.
- Too much going on, seemed like they were just in the business to make money and had enough business that they could charge more for the most advanced/expensive treatment and if they lost a few they would make up for it in volume.

TLC:
Laser: Visx? They only have one, but it’s supposedly the most consistent and provides the best results—endorsed by the Navy and US armed forces. Didn’t like newer technology until it’s more proven and TLC as a national chain would have a lot to lose if they put in an inferior laser. Makes sense.
Flap: Can do either, but definitely go with intralase because the flap is thinner and I already have thin corneas.
Contacts: 1 month per decade, so about 6 weeks.
PRK: An option, but I’m still safe for Lasik and should have plenty left over for a touch up if need be.
Custom: For sure. 100% High risk of increased glare at night without. “don’t let anyone tell me otherwise”
Cost: About $3700
+ Very straight forward, seemed very honest and very sincere in wanting to answer all of my questions. National chain with free touchups for life. 2 Dr’s ranked in the top 100 national Lasik surgeons…whatever that means.
- Maybe trying to sell me into his only technology?

Dr. Wapner
Laser: Bausch and Laumb. Says it’s the most common and effective. Not much into giving me the spiel.
Flap: Supposedly can do intralase, but wouldn’t because it makes a significantly thicker flap, and with my eyes we would want to leave as much tissue as possible afterwards.
Contacts: Out at least 8 weeks.
PRK: Says he does tons of PRK, and usually the first to move someone into it but that I would be a better candidate for Lasik
Custom: Definitely don’t do custom because it takes more tissue away and I wouldn’t notice a difference. He thought TLC was just trying to up sale me on custom.
Cost: $2400
+ Came recommended by 2 different people, comfortable environment since I know some people there. Smokin hot girl at the front counter (yeeeaahh!!). Not pre-disposed to promote any particular technology because he’s independent, but didn’t have access to any of the lasers that most people have said are the best. Could be just fine—and just marketing separates them?
- Kind of rushed, but understandable. I feel a little more comfortable with custom based on what everyone else has said, but he could be right.

As of right now, I'm leaning towards TLC. I'm going to stew on it for the weekend and make an appointment somewhere on Monday.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
THANKS for all the leg work Cody....All the conflicting info must be frustrating!
So far I like TLC and Wapner from what you have said....Guess I need to make some appts too:D

So did you ask the girl at Wapner's, out?? Maybe you could get her to work you a deal....:hickey:

From my research I like the idea of the interlase. Seems the flap has a cleaner edge and heals better with less chance of scarring and halos....
If custom is only $500 more range, I say no brainer, do it. Doesn't realy make sense to me that it would take more away....Seems the reason for custom is to take ONLY what is needed....

Last edited:

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
No, she was super hot though. Name was Sid which I assume is short for Sidney?

no matter

TLC and Wapner had the exact opposite things to say, which was frustrating. Last night I was ready to go with TLC, and I'm still leaning tha way, but I think I'll do a little more research online first. I'm not going to the eye institute. I have enough info already damnit.