Lasik part 2 Custom or traditional??

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
Well I went in for the screen today. Doc says if I am worried about getting the best result, then I should plan on doing custom, but that is $1100 an eye instead of $699.
He said he will map my eye the morning of the surgery before he decides what is best, but plan on the cutom. If he feels the result will be just as goodwith traditional, then he will do that and charge accordingly....
I don't want to go cheap when it comes to m eyes, but do I really need to do custom????
What is your guys experience?

Thanks
Marc

idoc

Is it a + 3.25 or -3.25?

When he says custom LASIK is he just saying a wavefront scan or is that also including intralase?

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
idoc said:
Is it a + 3.25 or -3.25?

When he says custom LASIK is he just saying a wavefront scan or is that also including intralase?

Wavelength, yes. Intralase? What is that?
I think I need to ask the Doc som more ??
The info/consent paper asks about keliods....I scare bad, and have formed keliods before.

idoc

Intralase is where the flap is cut by a lazer instead of a razor. I believe there are only a few places in the state that are performing intralase. Intralase is better because of uniformity in flap thickness, increased adherance of the flap healing process, and decreased chance of infection, among other things.

I have had lots of patients that had conventional LASIK and everyone of them was happy with the outcome. That being said I still reccomend custom lasik with intralase to all my current patients. There are no big reasons, but lots of small ones.

Caleb

not to bring this up from the dead, but did you get this done Marc? My wife just got some money and is going to have it done. She gets 20% off if she goes to the Lasik Vision Institute through her ins. What did you decide to go with and do you wish you would have gone a different route or are you happy you did what you did???

Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with the Lasik Vision Institute? I hear of most people going through the eye institute of utah and this is why I am questioning the Lasik Institute???

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
Supergper said:
not to bring this up from the dead, but did you get this done Marc? My wife just got some money and is going to have it done. She gets 20% off if she goes to the Lasik Vision Institute through her ins. What did you decide to go with and do you wish you would have gone a different route or are you happy you did what you did???

Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with the Lasik Vision Institute? I hear of most people going through the eye institute of utah and this is why I am questioning the Lasik Institute???

Not yet....saving $$ for custom. Hopefully in the next few months.

gksspot

Is it true that later down the line you have to redo it or that your eyes can get worse with time and cant be fixed?
Im trying to get educated on it as I am tired of contacts... but dont want a situation like the old saline boobie implants that break in you and cause probs

idoc

I just had custom LASIK with intralase done about a week ago. I can now read most of the 20/10 line, which is twice as good as 20/20. So far everything is very, very good, and I am happy I did it.

Supergper said:

I haven't heard of the LASIK Vision Institute. Where is it? If you want I may be able to call around a little and find out about them.

gksspot said:
Is it true that later down the line you have to redo it or that your eyes can get worse with time and cant be fixed?

LASIK does not stop your prescription from changing, it only corrects for what it is today. If your prescription is changing it is better to wait until it stabilizes. As far as getting worse with time, that is always a possibility.

For not being able to be fixed, that is not correct with LASIK. After LASIK if there is a correction, a LASIK enhancement, contact lenses or glasses are still an option to fix it.

Dave

Caleb

idoc said:
I just had custom LASIK with intralase done about a week ago. I can now read most of the 20/10 line, which is twice as good as 20/20. So far everything is very, very good, and I am happy I did it.

I haven't heard of the LASIK Vision Institute. Where is it? If you want I may be able to call around a little and find out about them.

LASIK does not stop your prescription from changing, it only corrects for what it is today. If your prescription is changing it is better to wait until it stabilizes. As far as getting worse with time, that is always a possibility.

For not being able to be fixed, that is not correct with LASIK. After LASIK if there is a correction, a LASIK enhancement, contact lenses or glasses are still an option to fix it.

Dave

the Lasik Vision institute has several locations around the country, the one my wife would be going to is in Murray...their website is www.lasikvisionistitute.com any info you can get would be appreciated

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Back from the dead....any new or updated info on this? I'd like to hear from anyone who's had it, where they had it, and approximately how much it cost. Turns out my insurance should cover a big chunk of the $$, so I'm suddenly in the market for getting rid of my glasses. :D

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
My wife had PRK from Lasik plus. Her results ahve been outstanding. Her eyes were too bad for traditional Lasik so we had to go with the more expensive PRK. It was quite expensive at 3,000 for both eyes, but it was more than worth it.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I have gas permeable contacts....is it true that I'll have to go without them for a long time (and use glasses isntead) before getting it done? I have super terrible eyesight and I'm just tired of contacts.

Cody

Caleb

Cody said:
I have gas permeable contacts....is it true that I'll have to go without them for a long time (and use glasses isntead) before getting it done? I have super terrible eyesight and I'm just tired of contacts.

Cody
yes you will have to go without, but how long depends on your eyes. Couple guys at my work had lasik not too long ago, one had to go for two month without contacts (glasses only), the other had to go for more than 6 months with glasses only. My wife hates contacts so she only wears glasses so she had no waiting time. (Granted other reasons kept her from getting it done) I've heard depending on your eyes it could be as long as 6 months to a year for extreme cases. (don't know how true it is, but I know the guy at my work was over 6 months)

Kenny98

I had my surgery done about 8 years ago. I actually tech with the Ophthalmologist that did mine. I have had great results. No problems at all. (traditional) I was out of my soft contacts for about 4 weeks. The longer the better.

Last edited: