Learning to weld

corbin.black

Just started taking a welding class at USU here in price and love it so far. Im in the beginning SMAW class and I've never really welded anything before so hopefully I can learn as much as possible. If you have any feedback for me, please post away.. I like hearing thoughts from others who are more advanced than myself.
This thread is mostly to show my welds and discuss how I can improve. Like I said, I've never welded anything before so don't expect great beads anytime soon.
Here is a picture of a few passes I did last week at school.

The first bead went great besides the beginning where I let the puddle run off the edge too much. The other 2 beads aren't very good at all. The third bead actually has a restart 3/4 of the way through because my resting arm slipped and I lost the arc. If you have any tips or tricks to help me out, please let me know. I bought this buzz box to play with at home and practice when I find free time.

I also have a millermatic 130 MIG at home that im trying to learn as well. Ive run a few passes with it and did ok but im running flux core and most of my scrap metal is 1/4" or bigger so it doesn't penetrate like it should.

Also, very soon I will be inheriting my late grandfathers welding truck. He bought it new back in 1995 and took amazing care of it until a few years ago when he passed. The truck just got a brand new paint job. It comes with a miller bobcat welder, air compressor, and torch set etc. The truck has a few under the hood goodies but I will wait to post those until I get it home. Its a 95 dodge 2500 cummins turbo diesel with about 230k on it and it is the c & c edition so it never had a bed.

That's all I have for now. Ill be posting up anything I do welding related in hope for feedback and constructive criticism. Thanks for reading.

-Corbin

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Your welds look decent for a first timer, I think you're definitely on the right path. SMAW takes some practice to perfect so I think you are well on your way. No specific advise at this time, it looks like you are welding on a flat surface vs having the plate upright, correct?

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Yeah your end puddle looks a little flat, usually you can keep the rod steady (as opposed to zig zagging) and drive it in a bit to fill the puddle a little before lifting off. It will give you a more uniform look. Your first pass looks really nice though. How long were you waiting between passes? As the temperature of the plate rises, it will affect how your welds come out so if you're laying down beads back to back then that's gonna make the first one come out different than the last one.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
I can see you've got slag stuck around the edges of the welds, if a scraper or air chipper isn't getting rid of it, I suggest getting a metal brush to scrape off the remaining slag. That will help your welds on the next pass and also it prevents contamination, in case your class will have you do a full penetration weld eventually with UT scan.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I think you're starting in the right place--stick welding will teach you the habits you'll need to have, that will make transitioning to a MIG much easier. :cool: An A/C only stick welder is harder to use than one that can do DC also, so you're in the right place. :rofl: I started with an AC only stick....using my friend's AC/DC box was like a dream, right up until I used my first wire-feed welder. After that I was spoiled, and haven't really used a stick welder since.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I started welding with stick when I got thrown into a field service truck where I worked several years ago. I had never really welded before. I got lots of practice welding up back-hoe buckets and teeth shanks. I actually really enjoy welding stick. I built my first Jeep with a stick welder (used the welder that was on my service truck). To me there was nothing better then laying down a nice weld, that as it cooled, the flux just lifts away from the bead all on its own. Then you can pretty much just blow on it and it will fall off and you are ready to start welding again.
To me the most important thing in becoming a good welder was learning how to breath. Seems I was always trying to hold my breath because it helped me stay still. Once I was able to stay calm while breathing it helped keep my hands steady.

ricsrx

practice, practice, practice.

My nephew just completed a welding course at USU. i hope he can find a welding job down there.

corbin.black

Yeah your end puddle looks a little flat, usually you can keep the rod steady (as opposed to zig zagging) and drive it in a bit to fill the puddle a little before lifting off. It will give you a more uniform look. Your first pass looks really nice though. How long were you waiting between passes? As the temperature of the plate rises, it will affect how your welds come out so if you're laying down beads back to back then that's gonna make the first one come out different than the last one.
I can see you've got slag stuck around the edges of the welds, if a scraper or air chipper isn't getting rid of it, I suggest getting a metal brush to scrape off the remaining slag. That will help your welds on the next pass and also it prevents contamination, in case your class will have you do a full penetration weld eventually with UT scan.

Yeah, Ive been trying a few different techniques to keep the end of the puddle from being so low. Im sure it will be better as time goes on. Honestly I wasn't waiting very long between passes. We haven't been getting very much lab time in class so I got a little impatient. We should be mostly done with the in class portion soon and be able to spend more time actually welding so I will have time to let the plate cool between passes. and yes, there is some slag left over because I was just too lazy to remove it before I took the pictues. I have a good wire brush and a really sharp chipping hammer.

I think you're starting in the right place--stick welding will teach you the habits you'll need to have, that will make transitioning to a MIG much easier. :cool: An A/C only stick welder is harder to use than one that can do DC also, so you're in the right place. :rofl: I started with an AC only stick....using my friend's AC/DC box was like a dream, right up until I used my first wire-feed welder. After that I was spoiled, and haven't really used a stick welder since.

That is what everyone keeps telling me so I'm glad I chose to start off with stick. I would have liked to have a AC/DC machine but the price was right on the Buzz box ($200) so I snagged it. My next purchase will probably be a AC/DC machine. The good thing about having the AC only machine is that the school supplies tons of rod and we hardly ever use the 6011 or 6013 so the instructor said I can take a lot of it home to practice with.

I started welding with stick when I got thrown into a field service truck where I worked several years ago. I had never really welded before. I got lots of practice welding up back-hoe buckets and teeth shanks. I actually really enjoy welding stick. I built my first Jeep with a stick welder (used the welder that was on my service truck). To me there was nothing better then laying down a nice weld, that as it cooled, the flux just lifts away from the bead all on its own. Then you can pretty much just blow on it and it will fall off and you are ready to start welding again.
To me the most important thing in becoming a good welder was learning how to breath. Seems I was always trying to hold my breath because it helped me stay still. Once I was able to stay calm while breathing it helped keep my hands steady.

I have noticed the slag becoming easier and easier to come off as time goes on. I will have to see if I am breathing or not. knowing my habbits, I am probably holding my breath like you did so I will give it a try, thanks!

practice, practice, practice.

My nephew just completed a welding course at USU. i hope he can find a welding job down there.

Thats why I bought my own machine! I need more time actually practicing. Right now I can't use the buzz box until an adapter arrives (I have the wrong 220 outlet so I bought an adapter) but as soon as I can, I will be practicing a lot more.
Which nephew? I've seen a few of your nephew's at the college but I didn't know any of them were in the program.

ricsrx

[/QUOTE]Which nephew? I've seen a few of your nephew's at the college but I didn't know any of them were in the program.[/QUOTE]

Dustin Gardner, He took it last year, so it would have been the high school program.. They taught him well, he definatly lay's down a good bead.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
Welding is so much fun. I imagine an actual class would be well worth while.

Maybe you can give me a pointer..

I can lay a great bead with my stick welder when welding a horizontal line. My welds are gorgeous and the slag falls right off leaving beautiful stacked dimes showing. When I weld vertical however, I cannot make a single quality pass. It is this horrific show of Pigeon crap welds. The slag builds up and falls to quickly, or puddles below my stick and makes big ugly blobs. I can Mig weld vertical all day long with great welds.. but the stick kills me.
What works best for vertical welding??

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
If you're having a hard time doing vertical welds perhaps you are crossing over too slow, with stick welding you don't really spend any time in the middle. You zig zag and fill in the edge enough to prevent undercut but if you cross over slowly then you're gonna get build up in the center and get all droopy. Temperatures will have a factor in that as well but that's gonna depend on your plate and style.

corbin.black

ricsrx: I figured it was Dustin but I wasn't sure. Did he take the SMAW class? I'll have to talk to him the next time I see him.

jeeper: I would try what Maldito mentioned. I personally dont have much experience as im only about a month into my class at this point. I would also suggest making sure your rod angle is correct and that you adjust your machine up and down when you try it to find the best setting.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
If you're having a hard time doing vertical welds perhaps you are crossing over too slow, with stick welding you don't really spend any time in the middle. You zig zag and fill in the edge enough to prevent undercut but if you cross over slowly then you're gonna get build up in the center and get all droopy. Temperatures will have a factor in that as well but that's gonna depend on your plate and style.

THIS^ is my problem for sure. With the 110 mig, I spend most time in the center, and draw in the edges. I am trying the same with the stick.. after reading your post, and watching a youtube video (which now makes me a professional) I can see I was doing it complete opposite of what I SHOULD be doing.

corbin.black

watching a youtube video (which now makes me a professional).

I work in an office and spend most of my time on the internet (im at work right now) and I actually have learned a lot from watching youtube videos. Im not saying watching them made me very good but I do feel that I have a good headstart because of them as compared to the other students in my class who just show up without doing any prior research.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Post the results of how the changes you implement now make your welds look next time you do some guys :)

corbin.black

Post the results of how the changes you implement now make your welds look next time you do some guys :)

Will do. I have class tuesday and thursday so hopefully I should have something new every couple of days. Last night I made an extremly cheap welding table so I can have something to practice with at home. I had a large 1/4" plate laying around to use as a top and I bought some 1/8" angle iron that was 3' long to use as legs. I used my MIG machine to weld them on then did pretty well I think. I'll post some pictures later tonight. It won't be pretty but for less than $9 I think it will work great.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Those are the best. Being able to fab up something simple for next to nothing. That's a good way to get your creative side going. Plus if you're having fun with it, it's more likely to come out better too. :D