Learning to weld

corbin.black

Welded up a couple more plates today in class. This first one is the same plate as before, I just finished it. And the second picture is the back side of the same plate. Front is 3/32 6010 and the back side is 3/32 7018.

So far the only thing im struggling with is not going straight across the plate. I tend to go lower and lower the further I go. Everything else seems to be going well.

Oh how I love 7018!! The slang literally just peels off by itself and there is virtually no splatter.

And here is the table I made to use at home. Its not pretty but it will work great.

Last edited:

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I've used 6010 to cut holes in plate when I didn't have a drill.
And man, I love the smell of those 6010 rods...
Yeah, I know, that's a bit odd

Really nice work there

corbin.black

I've used 6010 to cut holes in plate when I didn't have a drill.
And man, I love the smell of those 6010 rods...
Yeah, I know, that's a bit odd

Really nice work there

The smell? Haha that's interesting. I wear a mask when I weld so I don't breathe the fumes or smell much. And thank you. I should start some fillet welds next week. As soon as I can weld at home I should progress a lot more.

RockChucker

Relocated the spring perches on my dad's Jeep. Miller 211, .030 wire, Argon, CO2 mix. I'm getting better. Still a long way to go. Practice Practice Practice.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Those look really nice also. CO2/argon makes welding so nice. I am looking to buy the upgrade kit for my Lincoln so I can weld with gas shielded wire soon at home.

corbin.black

Relocated the spring perches on my dad's Jeep. Miller 211, .030 wire, Argon, CO2 mix. I'm getting better. Still a long way to go. Practice Practice Practice.

Those look pretty good dave! I have almost everything to run my mig on c25 but I just havent done it yet. I probably will when this spool of flux core runs out.

corbin.black

Here is a couple more passes using a new machine. I can't remember the name of the machine but its the top of the line miller (school just upgraded). It seems a little harder to start the arc but it sure runs great during the weld. First 2 passes are 7018 and the last is 6010. I also ran a couple T joint passes with 6010 and 7018 and they turned out pretty good. The workpiece was too hot to bring home so I wasn't able to take any picturesn

corbin.black

Started doing multiple passes on a T joint today and did pretty well. Apparently I tend to get lower and lower towards the end of the weld but im getting better.

This is 7018 1/8 at 118 amps with 1/2" flat stock

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Have you cut any of your welds open to see what they look like on the inside? That really helps when you start doing multiple passes on stuff like T joints.

corbin.black

That looks pretty good, you're stacking them nicely.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Have you cut any of your welds open to see what they look like on the inside? That really helps when you start doing multiple passes on stuff like T joints.

No, I haven't been able to do that yet. If i had the proper tools at home, I would just cut them myself but I don't. Right now the instructor just wants us to focus on stacking the beads. (actually the rest of the class is still doing single beads on the flat plate, im moving ahead of the class so I don't get bored)

blznnp

They look good man, how often do you have class? Our instructor had us doing the single passes on plate for a little bit but not very long, just so we could get the feel for it and once he felt we had good control of our speed. Then we quickly moved on to T joints.

corbin.black

They look good man, how often do you have class? Our instructor had us doing the single passes on plate for a little bit but not very long, just so we could get the feel for it and once he felt we had good control of our speed. Then we quickly moved on to T joints.

Thanks! I have class on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3-5:30ish (sometimes the instructor lets me stay longer) but right now from 3-4 its all in class time. Right now a majority of the class (like 12 people) are still on the single pass plates but they will probably start T joints soon. I've never stick welded before this class but I have a MIG at home so I had "some" experience which is why im going a little faster than them. I will probably be done with flat T joints on tuesday and then move on to something else. I am hoping to get more practice time in at home but right now my AC stick machine won't plug into the 220 outlet at my house(wrong connection) so I need to find an adapter so I can be able to use it. (I would just change the 220 outlet but my air compressor has a different outlet than my stick machine so either way I would need an adapter)

OB1

I just bought a Miller 211. Can't wait to start practicing. Still need to pick up a bottle. Looks good. Keep it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

corbin.black

I just bought a Miller 211. Can't wait to start practicing. Still need to pick up a bottle. Looks good. Keep it up.

Post up some pictures when you start practicing. I have just been running my mig on flux core since I don't have a bottle yet either.

Well yesterday I finally got try try out my Lincoln buzz box since I finally wired in a new plug. I ran some 6011 and 6013 since the machine is AC only. I had a little but of trouble with getting a good bead with the 6011 but the 6013 ran great. Here is a picture of a few 6013 passes where the slang literally peels itself off in one piece

OB1

Will do! Just waiting for warmer weather here in ND. I don't have a heated garage to work out of. Been drawing up plans for my off-road trailer. Your welds look great to me.

corbin.black

Will do! Just waiting for warmer weather here in ND. I don't have a heated garage to work out of. Been drawing up plans for my off-road trailer. Your welds look great to me.

My father in law and a good friend are both in ND working... you guys are crazy! I would be waiting for warmer weather also. I was welding last night outside because it was about 50* and then all of the sudden it started raining haha. I gave some 7024 rod a try and it puts down a really nice, smooth bead. I didn't snap any pictures since it started raining but I should be able to take some tonight. Ive also been drawing up some plans for an offroad trailer. mine is basically the exact same as Box Rocket's with a few minor differences.
and thank you, I feel I am doing pretty good so far. my instructor told me he would like to use my coupons as examples for the rest of the class.. so i guess that means he likes what im doing also

OB1

It may be cold but the money sure is good. I've got an old M100 trailer I'm going to build a frame for and go from there. I'll do a thread and take pics when I start.