Learning to weld

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I don't think I quite follow what you are saying...

The connection for your trailer is bolted to the hitch on the truck, right? So you will not have a regular ball to pull another trailer, unless you keep a second insert with a ball on it. Like wise, unless someone has your special insert, they can't pull your trailer either.. Makes it good for anti-theft, but sucks when yo need a buddy to bring the trailer to you..

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
That's no different than with any other offroad coupler, surely? I'll already have a box on the trailer with assorted spares and straps and things, an extra pair of inserts won't cramp my style.

I haven't had my trailer on anything technical yet, I need to see how bad a regular ball hitch will be on the places I'm likely to take mine. But if I do end up needing a better coupler, that one he linked looks like a really good option.

corbin.black

The connection for your trailer is bolted to the hitch on the truck, right? So you will not have a regular ball to pull another trailer, unless you keep a second insert with a ball on it. Like wise, unless someone has your special insert, they can't pull your trailer either.. Makes it good for anti-theft, but sucks when yo need a buddy to bring the trailer to you..

ah, I see what you mean.. those are all valid points. However, I don't really see any of them being much of a problem. The main idea behind it is the anti-theft which it will be great for that. I don't plan on anyone pulling the trailer besides friends or family.. so they will all have access to the hitch and trailer if I need the trailer brought to me (there wouldn't be any reason to keep the hitch in the jeep with me if I was away). and I don't plan on ever pulling another trailer behind my jeep except this one. If I need to move another trailer, thats what my cummins is for :)
again, those were all valid points. I appreciate the feedback.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
No different than any other special coupler.. for sure. I didn't mean to come across as negative about it if I did.. Just making simple observation. Is this an off-road trailer? I thought it was a tool trailer.. but I haven't read the whole thread.

corbin.black

That's no different than with any other offroad coupler, surely? I'll already have a box on the trailer with assorted spares and straps and things, an extra pair of inserts won't cramp my style.

I haven't had my trailer on anything technical yet, I need to see how bad a regular ball hitch will be on the places I'm likely to take mine. But if I do end up needing a better coupler, that one he linked looks like a really good option.

It is that same as any other coupler, correct. Im sure I could get away with a ball hitch or even a pintle but I figure making this one the first time will be nice to have if I ever need it. It seems cheap enough to build and a lot of the parts I have to order come in pairs of 2 so I will probably end up building 2 and selling one and probably make money on the whole project.

corbin.black

No different than any other special coupler.. for sure. I didn't mean to come across as negative about it if I did.. Just making simple observation. Is this an off-road trailer? I thought it was a tool trailer.. but I haven't read the whole thread.

No, I really appreciate the feedback. yes, this is an offroad trailer and will be pulled exclusively behind my LJ or my WJ.

OB1

I saw the same thread on the hitch and have already bought all the parts and pieces to put it together. I'll post pics on my thread when I get that far.

corbin.black

Well it looks like the welding practice and hard work has paid off. I just got a job in west jordan as a MIG welder . Can't decide if im going to like the city or not but I guess im about to find out

ricsrx

Well it looks like the welding practice and hard work has paid off. I just got a job in west jordan as a MIG welder . Can't decide if im going to like the city or not but I guess im about to find out

I would rather live in Price.......

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
copypasta from the DATC website:

Where
DATC Welding Room 1037 (map)

Description
Thursday September 11 - October 16 • 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Cost: $150 18 hours

Have you ever wanted to learn to weld? Here is your chance! This introductory-level class will get you started with the most popular type of welding for hobbyists. MIG welding, sometimes called wire-feed welding, is a process commonly used in structural, automotive, general fabrication and in repair. In this class you will learn safety, the basic principles of welding, equipment set-up, the correct way to lay down a bead, and how to cut mild steel using thermal cutting equipment. You will develop your practical skills, along with relevant theory and safety training.

What do you guys think? Good place to get some instruction and start welding? Or should I just jump into building a trailer? I'm kind of leaning towards taking the class although I have also looked a bit at doing some stuff at the Tooele applied tech school as well.

Last edited:

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Here is the info from Tooele Applied Tech:

Individual Courses: Welding
All courses can be taken individually after the completion of Introduction and Safety andOxyfuel Cutting and Welding.
All courses are open-entry/open exit. Please call (435) 248-1800 for details and availability.
Tuition: $1.75 per credit hour
Student Fees: Welding Program or Single Classes** $ 60.00 (monthly)

I think that means that the safety class would cost $26.25 (15 hours x $1.75) plus the $60 welding class fee. I'm not sure how long it would actually take to complete the course or if it is a structured lecture or not as well. I'm sure I could plow through it pretty quickly if it was self-paced.

I do work a full time job but typically go in early and get off around 230 each day. I don't have much going on during the week and my wife is totally cool with me doing classes like this, I actually think she would prefer I finished up my 4 year degree but who wants to do that, right?

What do you guys think about doing classes like this? I'm not interested in making a career change or anything but just getting the basics down and building a trailer and maybe a 10' dragon in my backyard.