Learning to weld

Caleb

To get started DATC (IMO) is kind of far away...especially at that time of day. I'd personally do the SLCC program. It will give you a great understanding of what you are supposed to be doing, get you a lot of hands-on in all kinds of different types of welding, and by the end of the semester you will know enough to know if it's something you want to pursue further. I went through it (a LONG time ago) and went on to work as a welder for several year only to finally realize working as a welder full-time sucks (no offense to those that are currently earning a living doing it :D)

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
SLCC has welding classes but they are all day time classes. The intro class is 0800-0850 with the lab being from 0900-1250 which makes it not doable for me. I live basically in Magna so DATC isn't that far for me with Tooele being a bit closer.

I'm really only looking to take a couple classes beyond the safety class that seems to be required at both of these applied tech schools. I work in IT and am happy with my career, I'm just wanting to learn enough to get myself in trouble with my hobbies.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
If you have never welded before, I would strongly discourage anyone from just jumping into a welding project, such as a trailer, that could cause potential death if it were to come apart on the freeway, for example. Seems like a good price for that class. Might be worth getting into it.
I'd still like to put on a small intro class at my house. Maybe in another month when it cools down. Is there any interest in this?

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I think you should build a dragon before you build a trailer too. I'm getting sorta ok with a welder, confident enough that I'm doing projects for and on my truck, but I'll get better before I build a trailer from scratch.

Maybe in another month when it cools down. Is there any interest in this?

Yup.

Caleb

SLCC has welding classes but they are all day time classes. The intro class is 0800-0850 with the lab being from 0900-1250 which makes it not doable for me. I live basically in Magna so DATC isn't that far for me with Tooele being a bit closer.

I'm really only looking to take a couple classes beyond the safety class that seems to be required at both of these applied tech schools. I work in IT and am happy with my career, I'm just wanting to learn enough to get myself in trouble with my hobbies.

That sucks it's in the AM only. Back when I did it, it was also offered in the evenings.

OB1

How's the trailer coming? Mine has been put on hold on account of summer got in the way. To much fun boating, rafting, horseback riding and fishing.

corbin.black

How's the trailer coming? Mine has been put on hold on account of summer got in the way. To much fun boating, rafting, horseback riding and fishing.

Mine is also on hold right now due to getting the new welding job and now im waiting to close on my house. As soon as I close on my house, I will be able to resume it and it shouldn't take too long to finish up. I need to get it finished soon though since my jeep is just about done

McFate

If you have never welded before, I would strongly discourage anyone from just jumping into a welding project, such as a trailer, that could cause potential death if it were to come apart on the freeway, for example. Seems like a good price for that class. Might be worth getting into it.
I'd still like to put on a small intro class at my house. Maybe in another month when it cools down. Is there any interest in this?

I know it's an old(ish) thread, but I'd be interested in this. Got a few projects I'd like to tackle but haven't done because they all require welding as at least one of the steps. Like someone else here mentioned - I don't want to start a new career - just learn enough to get a few projects done, and not kill myself in the process.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Fogo,

I have equipment and some limited knowlege I'm willing to share...
Most likely MIG is your best bet, look at http://weldingtipsandtricks.com, but I have stuff for MIG, TIG, and Stick.
PM me if you'd like an intro to welding.
-Eric

Last edited:

corbin.black

Feel free to post any questions or concerns you have on this thread and someone on here will know the answer. I can also offer some help with mig or stick once I close on my new house in eagle mountain

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
wow, beautiful "mig like tig", I'm more of the just lay it in smooth kind (if only I could). And no fair posting after bead blasting and powdercoat...;)

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I need to get a bottle of 85/15 so I can try spray transfer sometime. That or a separate bottles and control the mix....
Kinda cool sh*t melting steel together isn't it?

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
As much as I hate it, I must admit, there are times when flux core is the right call. Never tried dual shield.

Athough now, I tend to break out the stick before the flux core.

ricsrx

I have had the local scout troop over to my place twice now for alittle welding 101, its fun to see thier eye's light up when they have fused to pieces of metal together with a welder...it must just be a guy thing!

McFate

Fogo,

I have equipment and some limited knowlege I'm willing to share...
Most likely MIG is your best bet, look at http://weldingtipsandtricks.com, but I have stuff for MIG, TIG, and Stick.
PM me if you'd like an intro to welding.
-Eric

Thanks for the offer - I may take you up on that one day. Posted a similar question on Facebook a few minutes after my post here, and turns out that I actually have a few relatives and friends that are up for learning me a few things too. (I need to replace a section of my Bronco's tailgate, and a new gate would cost close to $400, vs. welding in a new panel across the bottom is closer to $40. If I can figure this stuff out, that should make my wallet happy.)