M-16/M-4/AR-15 people......decisions

Brad

The artist formerly known as Redrock5.9
Lower, stripped or assembled, needs to be shipped to FFL. If you buy stripped and assemble it yourself, you avoid paying FET which is an 11% savings plus labor fees. There are plenty of tutorials out there, not too hard and really requires nothing more than basic mechanical skills and common sense. Many companies will sell the upper, barrel, stock, and lower parts assemblies as a kit which can be shipped directly to you.

Brett

Meat-Hippy
Lower, stripped or assembled, needs to be shipped to FFL. If you buy stripped and assemble it yourself, you avoid paying FET which is an 11% savings plus labor fees. There are plenty of tutorials out there, not too hard and really requires nothing more than basic mechanical skills and common sense. Many companies will sell the upper, barrel, stock, and lower parts assemblies as a kit which can be shipped directly to you.

Yep, read all that online....just have to decide how lazy I want to be ;)

Col Mustard

Build it!

Rock River Arms http://rockriverarms.com is a good source for parts. They have a good web site showing many variations and are good quality. If you want high quality removable sights, go to GG&G http://gggaz.com in AZ.
Putting an AR lower together isn't all that difficult and it just feels good to know that you did it. You can however screw up the finish real fast by not using the right tool. If you do start with a stripped lower, don't try to save a buck on the trigger group. You will see a big price difference between what appears to be the same part but Mil-Spec does not always mean Mil-Spec and in many cases, Mil-Spec is too far out of spec. Impact Guns carries a complete trigger group from Bushmaster that should do you just fine.
When it comes to the upper, I would suggest getting one already assembled with BCG (Bolt carrier group)
Have you looked through Shotgun News? Great place to check out ads.

Brett

Meat-Hippy
Looks good Tek. What length barrel is that? Looks like a shorty.

Col Mustard, I'll definately check out the site's you posted. Gotta see what I can find.

Read last night you can build a AR into a .50 cal. My wallet tried to commit suicide 2 seconds later.

teknodestrukto

10.5"

I talked to the guys at Get Some a few years ago and one of them showed me a .50 Beowulf. He said it was just an upper change and a simple mag mod and you're off...I found a youtube video of a guy shooting one. A 20 rnd AR mag will only take 8 Beowulf rounds, after it's modified, but it looked and sounded pretty cool.