Mudflap citation for the wimpiest jeep in the family

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
My wife was driving on I-215 the other night when she was pulled over by a rather beligerant UHP trooper and given a full fledged must appear in court traffic citation for no mudflaps on our old Cherokee. He said it had too big of tires and must have mud flaps. It only has 30x9.5 inch tires and a 2.5-3 inch lift. Shouldn't this have been a fix it type ticket ? There is less tire showing on this Jeep than on any stock full sized pickup truck from the factory. The wife was very upset since this is her only ticket in 30 years of driving. Is there anything she can do other than show up and pay the fine ? The jeep passed safety inspection three days before the ticket. :confused:

Anyone need a complete Cherokee lift since "grandma felon", as my daughter calls her now, doesn't want it any more ?

TheJeep

I think its BS. There are far more lifted fullsize trucks running around in violation IMO.
I would fix the problem and take in a pic showing the correction and play stupid Golly Gee judge I had know idea I needed mudflaps. I'am sure the judge would waive the ticket.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Fix it, get it inspected, and like said above, take a pic in and show that you fixed it. They will still make you pay a fine, but it will be much, much less.

Sounds like the cop was having a bad day.

richpblaze

I got one a couple of weeks ago

For no fender flares (tires stick out to far) cracked windshield. The flares were a fix it ticket, window was not.. :mad2: :mad2: It sucks I pulled up next to an F-350 the other day, his frame came up to the bottom of my window, tires stuck out at least 6 inches, no mudflaps go figure.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
richpblaze said:
For no fender flares (tires stick out to far) cracked windshield. The flares were a fix it ticket, window was not.. :mad2: :mad2: It sucks I pulled up next to an F-350 the other day, his frame came up to the bottom of my window, tires stuck out at least 6 inches, no mudflaps go figure.

Chances are that the UHP guys are too busy eye humping the ford to give it a ticket... Double standards.

I've never had respect for UHP since the flak they gave me in my old cherokee. They would pass up the big fullsizes w/ lift blocks on the front axle and boggers that stuck out 2 feet and come after the proper purpose built vehicles and claim they were dangerous. GET A CLUE! :mad2:

Another reason I decided to go with a buggy and tow it around... :rolleyes:

richpblaze

This was Sandy city

Herzog said:
Chances are that the UHP guys are too busy eye humping the ford to give it a ticket... Double standards.

I've never had respect for UHP since the flak they gave me in my old cherokee. They would pass up the big fullsizes w/ lift blocks on the front axle and boggers that stuck out 2 feet and come after the proper purpose built vehicles and claim they were dangerous. GET A CLUE! :mad2:

Another reason I decided to go with a buggy and tow it around... :rolleyes:

I gave him a good tongue lashing. Kind of a bummer they closed Krispy Creams. Besides I hear Sandy Is next to West Valley in crime rates. You would think they would be more intersted in catching REAL crimminals :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

myota

my toyota
I thought in Utah your rig only had to have mud flaps if it was a truck?!? SUV's didn't need 'em...?
and if you do need mud flaps they are supposed to cover 50% of your tire.

I seem to remember stumbling on a link a while back, but am having a hard time finding Utah laws on Mud flaps.

myota

my toyota
I found this...look at page 6the official safety inspection manual for uath

of just look here
LIFTED OR LOWERED VEHICLES Lifted Vehicles: 1) Check that fenders cover full width of tire. 2) Check for mudflaps. (Must cover full width and top 50% of tire.) 3) Check frame height. (Based on Gross Vehicle Weight Rating, GVWR) 4) Check for body lift. 5) Check for stacked blocks. 6) Check for modification of brake hoses. 7) Check headlight aim and vertical height. (Maximum headlight height is 54” to center of the bulb.)

myota

my toyota
here's more...
G. TIRE SIZE, TIRE WIDTH, FENDERS AND MUDFLAPS 1. Check vehicle tires for proper size and weight load ratings. Check that fenders and mud flaps are in place when required. * REJECT vehicle when: a) Tires do not meet proper load rating per axle as determined by OEM specifications. b) Tires are mounted on wheels that are not within tire manufacturers specifications. c) Tire tread is not fully covered by existing fenders or fender extenders. d) Rear tires do not have the top 50% of the tire covered by mud flaps*. e) Rear mud flaps are not as wide as the tire.* *Mud flaps are required on any vehicle modified from original OEM specifications. This includes larger tires or any alterations to the frame or suspension. 41-6-150.10 UCA.

myota

my toyota
and even more....

ALTERED VEHICLES - Continued C. RAISING VEHICLES 1. Check the braking and steering system components. REJECT vehicle when: Braking or steering systems have been altered, modified, disconnected or changed in any manner that may impair the safe operation of the vehicle. 2. Check vehicle lift. (Utah Lift Law Title 41-6a-1631 UCA) REJECT vehicle when: a) Frame height is greater than 24 inches on a vehicle with a GVWR less than 4,500 lbs. b) Frame height is greater than 26 inches on a vehicle with a GVWR of 4,500 lbs. and less than 7,500 lbs. c) Frame height is greater than 28 inches on a vehicle with a GVWR of 7,500 lbs. or more. NOTE: Vehicle must be on a flat surface and unladen for all measurements. Frame height measurement is from the ground to the bottom of the frame and should be taken on the left side of the vehicle under the drivers seat. If the door certification plate has been removed, the vehicle shall be considered to be 4,500 lbs. 3. Check the body lift above the frame. (Title 41-6a-1631 UCA) REJECT vehicle when: Lowest part of body floor is raised more than 3” above top of frame, at mount. 4. Check vehicle for front and rear axle blocks. (Title 41-6a-1630 UCA) REJECT vehicle when: a) Axle blocks have been added to the front axle. b) There are stacked blocks on the rear axle. (The stacking of axle blocks is prohibited.) c) There are stacked frames. Revised June, 2005 27
ALTERED VEHICLES - Continued C. RAISING VEHICLES (Continued) 5. Check vehicle wheel track. (Title 41-6a-1631 UCA) REJECT vehicle when: a) Tire tread protrudes beyond the original fender or fender extenders. NOTE: Fender flares or fender extenders are required to cover both front and rear tires when wheel track extends beyond the vehicle body. b) Spacers are used to increase wheel track width. NOTE: Custom wheel adapters are not spacers. 6. Check for mud flaps. Mud flaps are required on the rear wheels of all vehicles that are altered from their original OEM specifications. This includes the addition of larger tires and suspension lift kits. (Title 41-6a-1633 UCA) REJECT vehicle when: a) Fenders do not cover the top 50% of the tire b) Mud flaps are not present when required. c) Rear mud flaps are not as wide as the tire. NOTE: Mud flaps would not be required if the original fenders cover the top 50% of the tire. From the rear, mud flaps must hang down to the center of the axle.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
myota said:
I thought in Utah your rig only had to have mud flaps if it was a truck?!? SUV's didn't need 'em...?
and if you do need mud flaps they are supposed to cover 50% of your tire.

I seem to remember stumbling on a link a while back, but am having a hard time finding Utah laws on Mud flaps.

I have been looking at the law to see what it says. What I found is that the law says if any vehicle's height (SUVs included) has been modified (lifts or bigger tires) it must have mudflaps that cover down to the center of the axle and the full width of the tire. So the fullsize trucks get away with it because they come that height from the factory. As soon as they lift the big trucks they are hit with the same rules. Trucks over 10,500 lbs and trailers over 500 lb also have to have the flaps that cover the tires like they require for the lifted vehicles. So because I was a couple of inches higher than stock I technically have to have the flaps even though not much tire is exposed. I think that if they are going to require flaps that cover halfway down for our rigs to reduce damage to other cars the full sized trucks should have to pass the same requirements.

NoRig

I think it's BS because most stock vehicles off the show room floor are worse than what it sounds like your Cherokee is. UHP has a reputation as being hard nose jerks. It must be the brown rounds they wear, makes them think they are drill sergeants.

Anyway, I found the official inspection manual on the Utah Public Safety web site and here is what it officially says.

d) FAILS IF- Rear tires do not have the top 50% of the tire covered by mud flaps*.

*Mud flaps are required on any vehicle modified from original OEM specifications. This includes larger tires or any alterations to the frame or suspension. 41-6-150.10 UCA.

I guess that's why stock trucks that are way worse than modified vehicles can pass and others can't. Is what's retarded is that most things that spit up off the tire are going to fly off the bottom half not the top half(unless you're driving in reverse). Maybe the lawmakers are just concerned about rock chips in the paint of our vehicles. Yeah right! :D

JF1

I was pulled over for the exact same thing several years back when my Cherokee had a 3" lift and 31" tires but the Trooper just gave me a verbal warning. I put flaps on the next day and didn't worry about it anymore.
Joe

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
richpblaze said:
This was my first thought when I read it to... I see SD Fords, Chevy's and Dodge's all over the place with like 8" of lift, 35" tires and no flaps or flares.

74highboy

build some flaps you can take off put them on then when you have to go to court tell them you just got back from wheeling and havent had a chance to put them back on

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Why worry about what others are doing, protect yourself and get some flaps. Follow the rules or stay off the highways.