Nate’s longterm tiny shop build

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
So last night I spent about an hour scouring the interwebs for some type of fire code and came up empty. So I called WJ building dept to ask them- against my better judgement- and the guy was super confused. He said he handles the gas line part but how far from structures etc is up to WJ Fire Marshal. So I asked him how deep I need to bury the lines and he was like "ummm uhhhh... just do a couple feet and bury a tracer wire about a foot above it" so that's clear as mud. I had no concerns about how I'm burying it but thought I'd ask since I had him on the phone. Regrets.

I tried calling the FD 3x now and can't get anyone on the phone. Pretty standard nonsense in my experience.
They are at the gym. Try again later. Then they'll be at the grocery store. Later they have a meeting about how to better handle cats. The best time to call the fire department is between 10:35 and 10:41 on Tuesday.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
If you have any contacts in home construction business, they probably would know the answers.
I'm not concerned about burial depth for the pipe. it'll be fine. All the "unofficial" stuff I've found about open flame fire pits says minimum 10' from structure. Let's just act like mine will meet those requirements and move on :rofl:

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
I paid a plumber to install and bury my gas line. I asked about the tracer wire and he told me it was optional. I think its a good idea, but maybe something not inspected. I also pulled a permit to get the gas line run. The inspector never checked the depth of burial, maybe eye-balled it, but definitely no tape measure.

Pike2350

My wife's uncle(HVAC guy) told me 10-12". I zip tied the tracer wire to it. No permit or inspection but feel fine about it. Pressure test ended up being 5 days due to schedule and it held fine.

N-Smooth

Maybe I'm an outlier, but I don't get the allure of gas fire pits. Other than convenience, what's the draw? It's just not the same for me.
I was an early adopter of the solo stove and I still love it but gas is ridiculously convenient. I'm not throwing away my solo by any stretch but the ability to turn on a gas pit and sit by it for 10 minutes is just nice. When I get the solo fired up, especially with pellets I'm committed to it for a couple hours whether I like it or not.

I paid a plumber to install and bury my gas line. I asked about the tracer wire and he told me it was optional. I think its a good idea, but maybe something not inspected. I also pulled a permit to get the gas line run. The inspector never checked the depth of burial, maybe eye-balled it, but definitely no tape measure.
I'm doing a tracer wire whether it's required or not. I have some wire if I decide to not use the wire that comes in the kit. It's just easy enough to do it and show a "desire" to comply, even if I don't go the truly legal route.

My wife's uncle(HVAC guy) told me 10-12". I zip tied the tracer wire to it. No permit or inspection but feel fine about it. Pressure test ended up being 5 days due to schedule and it held fine.
Yeah 12" is the minimum depth I've seen on unofficial sites. Mine will be that deep at minimum and ~30" deep at the risers- again to show desire to comply and because it looks like it makes sense.

Pike2350

Yeah 12" is the minimum depth I've seen on unofficial sites. Mine will be that deep at minimum and ~30" deep at the risers- again to show desire to comply and because it looks like it makes sense.
I ended up anywhere between 12"-18" depending on how bad the tree roots or rocks were. The riser definitely go lower. I have added close to 2" of new soil on too now that I have leveled the yard out. Sounds like you got it all figured. So worth turning on/off at any time and not smelling like smoke.

Tonkaman

So last night I spent about an hour scouring the interwebs for some type of fire code and came up empty. So I called WJ building dept to ask them- against my better judgement- and the guy was super confused. He said he handles the gas line part but how far from structures etc is up to WJ Fire Marshal. So I asked him how deep I need to bury the lines and he was like "ummm uhhhh... just do a couple feet and bury a tracer wire about a foot above it" so that's clear as mud. I had no concerns about how I'm burying it but thought I'd ask since I had him on the phone. Regrets.

I tried calling the FD 3x now and can't get anyone on the phone. Pretty standard nonsense in my experience.
You need to talk to the fire marshal not just someone at the fire department. Here is his contact info:
IMG_6323.png

N-Smooth

You need to talk to the fire marshal not just someone at the fire department. Here is his contact info:
View attachment 167292
Thanks for the digits! And yeah I was trying to call the FD just to get his number. All I’m saying is if I wanted people to follow the rules I set, I would make them easily accessible. And for that reason I’m not going to call him 🤣

Pike2350

Found this pic when I was going through my photo album for some addition updates. This is the tee for the firepit. I had to use the rocks to hold the pipe down (which put it vertical) otherwise it wanted to fall over.

Attachments

• 20211126_122557.jpg
    20211126_122557.jpg
    856.2 KB · Views: 29

N-Smooth

Yesterday I got the riser by the meter spliced in and put some dirt around it to hold it in place. The connectors really are quite simple to use. I'm hoping to tie it into the meter this week but we'll see. The fence guys are coming this weekend and it'll be a little harder to work on with a fence over there. I'm sure there'll be room but you know how much you have to CRANK on those pipe fittings. Oh and getting the pipe painted before the fence would be nice too. I suppose I have to guess what color Questar uses so it sort of matches.

N-Smooth

I got one side finished up tonight. I had to turn off the gas for a minute to get it plumbed in. I put leak detector on the joints before the valve and it’s good. I want to be able to access the backyard with a small skidsteer from this side and having a riser sticking up in the middle would suck. So for now the other side is just taped off and chilling in the trench.IMG_2476.jpegIMG_2475.jpeg
Tomorrow I’ll paint it up so it matches and doesn’t rust.