Nate's crappy 93 XJ

Nate's crappy 93 XJ "Snowflake/Ice Princess"

Owners Name & City- Nate, West Jordan, UT

Make, Model & Year of Vehicle- Stripped-down 1993 Jeep Cherokee Country buggy thingy

Engine- 4.0L, HD motor mounts

Transmission- Aisin Warner 4-Speed auto, gear selection switches, big tranny cooler

T-Case- NP231, stock

Axles - HP Dana 30 front w/4.88 gears, Aussie locker, Torq-Masters Chromo shafts with JK joints
-Chrysler 8.25 rear w/4.88 gears, Aussie locker, Riddler diff cover, shaved a bit

Suspension- 3" coils + 2" spacers in the front w/custom 3-link mid-arm, center limit strap, hockey puck bumpstop extensions; stock leaf packs in the rear with additional springs added (7 total) + lift shackles, homebuilt traction bar

Wheels and Tires- 35x12.5r17 Maxxis short course stickies on Raceline Beadlocks

Winch- Guys pulling on a strap usually does it

Favorite Trails- Hell's Revenge, The Maze, Green Day, Nasty Half, Sliplock, Pritchett

Other- Cut in half; power steering cooler; Custom heim steering & tracbar; JCR skid plate; RCI Race cell with Walbro pickups; LED rock lights; Unibody stiffeners; custom boat-sides & bumpers

1-ejs09.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
This thing has been sitting in my dad's garage with stuff piled on it while our house in on the market. It's like there's been a hole in my life so I brought it home the other day knowing that I will have to move it to my sister's house every time we have a showing. Worth it.

I started tearing the dash out since I hate clutter and want it all simplified.
image.jpg

Then today I started working on something that I actually need to do, not just want to do... Paint all the bare steel on the cage and boatsides. The cage still needs some more tube added but it will be a while so I need to paint it so it doesn't rust. Of course I got sidetracked and started painting body panels just for fun lol I painted below the body line to match the rear and then decided on a whim to paint the center of the hood too. I really like having a jeep that I can throw some rattle can paint at and have a good time.
image.jpg

N-Smooth

Rustoleum hammered dark bronze. It's the same color I used to use in hammerite. It's pretty much charcoal.

Thanks

N-Smooth

Finished painting the cage today and even painted the hatch to match the rest of the body
image.jpg
image.jpg
I also worked on tearing out the dash with my buddy. We got the whole dash and monstrous hvac system removed, looped the heater hoses and stripped a TON of wiring. I'll be putting the gauge cluster back in and that's about it. I'll pile everything up tomorrow and then weigh it all just for kicks.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:

N-Smooth

Well to keep up with my super awesome tradition of weighing things...
image.jpg
Does that look like 70.2 pounds to you? Cause it totally is. That is all the dash, hvac, center console(which I might put back in), radio, two speakers, tons of wires, connectors and a bunch of bolts and screws.

It's not like 70 pounds is life-changing but it all adds up IMO

N-Smooth

I just added up all the stuff I took out during this thread and it's pretty impressive

Doors- 202
Rack- 18
Hatch glass and stuff- 31
Dash and console- 70
For a grand total of 321 POUNDS

That's why I do it!

N-Smooth

I need to drive it to the dump and get it weighed but I'm afraid they'd think I'm there to drop it off hahaha

I don't know on the cage weight. I'll measure it out for a general idea when it's all done. I still need some bracing. I know that 1.5x.120 is 1.8 lbs/ft so that helps. If I use all 110 ft of the tube I bought that will put me at 198 lbs I suppose

N-Smooth

image.jpg
So I drove it to the landfill today and got it weighed. 3740 with me in it, 3520 with me not in it. All I had in there was the front seats, fire extinguisher, tow strap, lug wrench, hi-lift and the registration papers. Trail ready it would probably be close to 200 lbs heavier but I'm good with that. An armored XJ under 4k is pretty good.

My old 4 cyl, 5 spd chuggy was 3200 lbs but it had no body behind the front seats

N-Smooth

Took out the rest of the firewall insulation. Also took out the rest of the vacuum hoses from the hvac system and charcoal canister. The back port on the intake manifold I just put in a 1/4" pipe plug. The charcoal canister hose that goes to the airbox just got capped near the airbox.

11.1 pounds

I need to go through the wiring some more because I know I can ditch a ton of wires and they are heavy.

N-Smooth

Thanks. I'd like to get to around 400 pounds lost (currently at 332) but with what's left on this thing I'm betting 350 is more realistic. If I can keep it around 3800 in trail trim I am a happy camper and it's looking like that should be pretty easy at this point.

N-Smooth

Stripped out all the wiring from the dash back to the hatch besides the fuel pump and taillights. And the dome light is gone too. It looks like this and it all weighed 5 pounds
image.jpg
337 pounds and counting

N-Smooth

They definitely would but I don't think it's worth the cost and I love wagon wheels. I also love that I can dent my wheels and fix it with a hammer ;)

N-Smooth

image.jpg
image.jpg
Finally added some snowflakes to Snowflake. Painted on with glitter on top. Maybe the best mod I've ever done :rofl:

N-Smooth

Ran The Snakes on Saturday. My 14-year-old nephew drove a good deal of it. He even did Wayne's World.
[video=youtube;SLj2RcLZN8A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLj2RcLZN8A&sns=em[/video]

Last edited:

N-Smooth

Decided to clean my throttle body on a whim the other day. This is what it looked like
image.jpg
Check out the throttle plate from the bottom... Gross
image.jpg
And here it is all cleaned up. Man I wish I had a steam parts cleaner
image.jpg
image.jpg
The TPS broke when I removed it and of course it was just barely out of warranty at Autozone so I had to buy a new one. Lame. I reset the computer so it will re-adapt, just for fun. When the kid gets up from his nap I'll fire up the old girl and see how she runs.