Nate's crappy 93 XJ

Nate's crappy 93 XJ "Snowflake/Ice Princess"

Owners Name & City- Nate, West Jordan, UT

Make, Model & Year of Vehicle- Stripped-down 1993 Jeep Cherokee Country buggy thingy

Engine- 4.0L, HD motor mounts

Transmission- Aisin Warner 4-Speed auto, gear selection switches, big tranny cooler

T-Case- NP231, stock

Axles - HP Dana 30 front w/4.88 gears, Aussie locker, Torq-Masters Chromo shafts with JK joints
-Chrysler 8.25 rear w/4.88 gears, Aussie locker, Riddler diff cover, shaved a bit

Suspension- 3" coils + 2" spacers in the front w/custom 3-link mid-arm, center limit strap, hockey puck bumpstop extensions; stock leaf packs in the rear with additional springs added (7 total) + lift shackles, homebuilt traction bar

Wheels and Tires- 35x12.5r17 Maxxis short course stickies on Raceline Beadlocks

Winch- Guys pulling on a strap usually does it

Favorite Trails- Hell's Revenge, The Maze, Green Day, Nasty Half, Sliplock, Pritchett

Other- Cut in half; power steering cooler; Custom heim steering & tracbar; JCR skid plate; RCI Race cell with Walbro pickups; LED rock lights; Unibody stiffeners; custom boat-sides & bumpers

1-ejs09.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Thanks man. I'm trying to make it light so we can use your balloon jack on it even with leaky exhaust :)

N-Smooth

I was able to break away from being Mr Mom for a bit today so I took the ol' girl out into the field for some snow action. It's amazing how much more challenging the climbs are not only when there is snow but when the ground is really frozen. This climb was really requiring some hammer and I was glad to oblige.
image.jpg
And of course, no doors means snow just goes everywhere. I was driving through drifts and big puffs of powder were flying up in my face like I was snowboarding. It was fun. I can't wait to get out to The Snakes once they get a couple feet.
image.jpg

On another note, I'm happy with the throttle body cleaning. Throttle response seems a little more snappy. I'd like to get the bottom half of the TB bored, anyone know of a good machine shop that would hook me up?

N-Smooth

We got some great snow overnight! In spots it was over halfway up my 33's and I was fighting to keep moving. Other places it was just a nice Sunday cruise.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

N-Smooth

Guilty as charged. You could even see me out in the field probably, right by Mtn View

blznnp

didn't see you in the field, but a week or so ago I was coming home and turning off on 78th to head home and saw a jeep just like yours driving south on mountain view. If you could go straight through at 62nd, that would be perfect for you to drive over to that dirt pit.

N-Smooth

Yeah, we had a showing of our house and I usually park my jeep somewhere but didn't plan ahead so I just drove it to my dad's house in Daybreak. It actually handles the road really well. I'm sad that it will be getting OHV registration after this month :(

I actually play in the field in between 56th-MV & 70th-78th. It's probably a block from my house to dirt. That's one reason I'm not sad about being in my house for a while longer. There were snowmobiles out there today.

N-Smooth

Got a few minor things done. Ordered up some cage padding finally. Something like $14 for 9 feet of it from Jegs. It's pretty cool cause it's thicker on one side. I'm putting it on the B pillars on both sides and toying with putting it above the door opening on the driver side cause I'm always hitting my head on that part. I'm thinking I'll duct tape it at the top and bottom to keep it from twisting and then throw some zip-ties in the middle. Ideas are welcome.
image.jpg
image.jpg

I also finally caved and bought a propane heater for these ridiculous temperatures we've been dealing with. I normally borrow my dad's "jet style" one but it's big, loud and burns the propane very quickly. Yes, it gets my garage to t-shirt temps in minutes but it's costly. I got a tank-top one from HF for like $60 and even got a new 3-ton jack (quick pump even) because my 10 year-old HF jack finally died. I love the heater and the jack! I had snow and ice just sitting on my jeep from Sunday and the heater on the low setting melted it all off in an hour or two.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:

N-Smooth

I've also been working on tuning it up since cleaning the TB the other week. I took the IAT (intake air temperature) sensor out of the intake manifold, cleaned it and moved it to the back of the airbox lid. There are a couple of reasons for doing this. For one, it's right next to the CCV which dumps oil mist into the manifold and gunks up (technical term) the sensor and two it will get a colder reading from the airbox and richen the A/F ratio. Supposedly the 4.0 runs pretty lean in stock trim. I intend to increase air-flow in and out of this motor in the future so it should be good for me. Some people say it's a stupid mod, others say it's awesome. I figure my jeep is the perfect guinea pig for such a thing. Plus I'm into it all of like $3 for the pipe plug on the manifold and some wire I had lying around for extending the plug wiring.
image.jpg

blznnp

When you say the torpedo heater was costly, how fast would it go through a tank? I need to get one an was leaning towards a torpedo one

N-Smooth

I used a tank in a weekend iirc. It's not even just that, it's how loud they are and the fact that I have a little 2-car. If I had a bigger garage I'd consider one.

N-Smooth

I posted a thread about the CCV system with no replies. I'm putting it here for future reference
So my '93 XJ 4.0 has a CCV (crankcase ventilation) system. It consists of one large elbow at the front of the crankcase that goes to the airbox for a clean air supply and an elbow at the back that has a small orifice and goes straight to the intake manifold for vacuum. I suppose the idea is to not over-pressurize the crankcase and to burn off all of the "oil mist" for emissions reasons. I hate it. The stupid orifice gets clogged very easily and it causes the famous blowby to happen, make the filter oily and in turn the throttle body and intake manifold are messy. When the orifice isn't clogged all of the oil mist goes into the intake manifold directly and makes a mess in there. On top of that, being that the jeep is 20 years old, the rubber and plastic lines crack and fail.
Here is a picture of the system. Yes the back elbow has duct tape on it because it is cracked.
View attachment 87212

My question is, since emissions are not a concern for my jeep as it is going to be OHV registered by the end of the month, what is stopping me from removing the whole CCV system? It would seem that not over-pressurizing the crankcase would be my only concern at this point... no? I'm thinking about getting another one of the front elbows (they're the same size), connecting them both with a T and putting a lame little breather filter on it. If it makes an oily mess I suppose I could rig a little oil catch can in before the filter. I would of course plug the hole in the intake manifold, just like I have for these other 2. And the line from the airbox as well. I need to finish up the one on the other side anyways as it's currently plugged with duct tape ;)
View attachment 87213

Thoughts? Comments?

N-Smooth

I ended up doing exactly like I planned- two new elbows going to a single breather filter. I taped off the breather port on the airbox and added a zip tie for good measure. Lowe's was out of 1/4" pipe plugs so I put a vacuum cap on the intake manifold side until I can get the right plug. I think it turned out well and I'm happy to have no more oil on my air filter or in the intake manifold. That should make for a cleaner burn!
image.jpg
image.jpg
I also finally got my heater hoses buttoned up. Since I took out the heater core I just had one hose making an impossible U-turn so it was suction-ing closed. Since no one seems to make a U/180 degree, I threw a 90 degree elbow in there and it will work fine.

N-Smooth

I took off my links and tracbar and painted them and the brackets finally. They've been rusting since April!

Also got my rock lights installed. I've had them for over a year. They're LEDs, a string of 20 with 4 on each module. I put 4 on both front corners, 2 under the oil pan, 2 on the DS "frame" in the middle, 3 on each rear corner and 2 in the rear middle where the gas tank used to be. They have a very low amp draw and I have them wired off a relay that is triggered by the park lights. I've got enough switches as it is.

This is what they look like and they're just over $20 for the set of 20.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I could definitely use some more in the middle but it's hard to find a spot for them. I ordered another 20 so I'll figure something out. I also need one or two inside and under the hood would be cool cause the stock one sucks.

N-Smooth

Thanks guys, I'm pretty happy with it. I have been night wheeling with just headlights since I broke my last halogen rock lights. I'm excited to use LEDs.

Yes they are from China. A guy on pirate sells them on his site horsepowerjuice. He charges like $15 more but you get them faster. I purchase them from suntekstore and just exercise patience lol

N-Smooth

Yay for WOTR!
image.jpg
I was screwing around on an obstacle on Double Sammy and it just went right over. Usually it will teeter a little and I know exactly where the tipping point is but it just went fast this time. It's a good reminder that it's not always going to be predictable. It didn't even really damage anything and they had me back over in like a minute.

Last edited: