New and improved New Member night run - March 11th (Updated)

sixstringsteve

Depending on trail conditions, I assume part 1 and part 2 can be run without needing to air down. I like to air down for better traction, but not everyone will want to.

I always air down regardless. I don't air down below 15 PSI unless I have my pump with me. For this run, I'll be around 8 PIS in the rear and 10 in the front (but I'll have my pump to re-inflate up to 20 PSI for the ride home).

Every vehicle, and every driver is different. 25 PSI will be fine on the highway, and it'll give you more traction offroad.

I've done 50 MPH on 8 PSI in my tacoma in Moab between trails. Not the smartest, but it was fine as long as I was in a straight line. If you drive with caution on the way back, I would think that 20 PSI would be fine for most rigs.

sixstringsteve

funny side note. first time I got my oil changed in this sidekick they told me "we topped off your fluids, and we inflated your tires to the recommended 23 PSI."

Sure enough, the door sticker on my sidekick recommend 23 PSI. Now I don't feel so scared driving on 15 psi with 33x12.50s

I think I've had 15 PSI in them for the past 2 weeks.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
My TJ with 33" TOYO M/T's never goes above 22psi. Anymore than that and it starts to ride rough and I get good even wear at around 20.

I would say that as long as nobody goes below 20psi they would be fine for the drive back to the Chevron. Don't take that as gospel though, I don't want somebody getting a blowout and coming back and sayin TJDukit said it was ok:). I did run MEG without airing down in my stock Z71 so as long as traction is good everybody should be fine either way.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Steve-

As you know, I invited my friend Marc to join us in his stock '98 TJ. He was so enthusiastic, he joined this forum (even though he hasn't posted yet). Anyway, he just called me to reconfirm his attendance. While we were talking, he said, "I have some friends with Jeeps. Can I invite them to come, too?" (Of course I said yes.)

I think I may have created a monster. :D

THSDragoon

I have a new Trooper :D
This is looking to be even better than I ever thought it would have been. It's a crying shame I can't make it to this one. Even if only half the people who say they will be there show up it will be an awesome trip. I can't wait to see thi pics, which means Will needs to do a good job haha.
dont be too terribly worried :)ugh::eek::ugh::eek::ugh:). kidding, i will get those pics for ya, though i need to play with posting them so i know what to do.....

Will

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Steve-

As you know, I invited my friend Marc to join us in his stock '98 TJ. He was so enthusiastic, he joined this forum (even though he hasn't posted yet). Anyway, he just called me to reconfirm his attendance. While we were talking, he said, "I have some friends with Jeeps. Can I invite them to come, too?" (Of course I said yes.)

I think I may have created a monster. :D

that's what I'm talking about! That's great that you're promoting RME so much, it'll be great to have so many new people joining the sport.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
What is the format Steve?

I would suggest you have a quick drivers meeting in the staging area, cover 5-10 minutes of basics and from there split everyone into groups. Group 1 should be ready to roll right off the bat (air down, etc) and groups 2 & 3 can get ready after the meeting. Spread them out 10-15 minutes apart. Good chance they are still going to run into the back of the first group but it would at least give some breathing room.

You can make a loop out of the drive up to the tailings but the mid hill climb is going to be nasty if its covered in snow/ice and isn't worth trying with an intro group. That leaves you having to get rigs up and down possibly the same route. With 20+ vehicles that is going to be tight.

sixstringsteve

I was thinking something similar.

Driver's meeting for 5-10 min, welcome, explain the schedule for the night, explain some basic driving techniques, touch on land use real quick, and split them into groups of about 10 rigs, with a tail gunner.

ozzy702

I'd like to be in the first group as would my friend Ian. He has enough seat time that I don't think he'd slow us down at all and I have more than enough seat time for how this trail sounds. I'd be glad to help people air down (I should be able to find a core puller or two) and help in any way possible. We'll only be in Megans (my GF) XJ but I think we'll be fine.

sixstringsteve

I'd like to be in the first group as would my friend Ian. He has enough seat time that I don't think he'd slow us down at all and I have more than enough seat time for how this trail sounds. I'd be glad to help people air down (I should be able to find a core puller or two) and help in any way possible. We'll only be in Megans (my GF) XJ but I think we'll be fine.

I'm not really organized enough to keep track of who's in what group. When we get there on Friday night, we can split into groups.

Out of courtesy for others, if you're new to rattlesnake, or if you want to go slow/mess around, I'd rather you were in one of the last groups. That way, those who just want to get through it quick can do so without having to wait for noobs to learn the line to take. I have no doubt you can do it, but when 20 people take an extra 3 minutes on an obstacle, that adds an hour to the people in the back.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

One more thing for noobs to know. You typically spend as much time outside your truck as you do inside it. So dress warm and don't complain about the cold ;)